Unique Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

OliverH

Re: Unique Traffic Signals

Post by OliverH »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 13:35
ReissOmari wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 13:16 These have since been replaced, but apart from this junction I don't think I've ever seen a 'swan' neck pole with high level signals. (Sorry if thats the incorrect term!)
That's interesting! I can't remember if I posted it, but I spotted this one not so long ago and thought it might have been the only one - but clearly not!

I'd usually refer to the type in your example as 'cranked' and the type in my example as 'swan neck'. I've seen the two terms used interchangeably, but to me they're two distinct products.
there are 2 in Leeds here: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7993192 ... authuser=0
Arran

Post by Arran »

This mellor in Birmingham i just found with a Bus 300mm lens, idk if it has been posted before
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Arran wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 16:22 This mellor in Birmingham i just found with a Bus 300mm lens, idk if it has been posted before
I've probably posted it, but it will have been ages ago. The whole junction there needs its signal replacing, they're old and falling to pieces. Plus the signage clutter is awful.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

Apparently, over at AL 67 and Indian Hills Road, when either the City of Decatur or ALDOT was installing new signals a few years back due to the intersection being redone, they didn't have enough height on the span-wires so they just hung the flashing yellow arrow signals there horizontally. Not the most unusual signals out there, but seeing both vertical and horizontal heads on the same span-wire is definitely a bit strange looking.
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

Another US example, but this strange-looking signal went-up near downtown Huntsville relatively recently.

The city's been installing double-red signals at various intersections around Huntsville these past few years, I assume at ones where red light running is an issue, as the double reds are meant for extra visibility on the red. In fact, some examples can be found at the next signalized intersection south along California Street, at Lowe Avenue. However, I haven't seen any like this before with a red arrow paired-up with a red ball, clearly it's done to help reinforce the newer right turn on red ban here, but it still looks a bit strange.

It appears this happened due to said right on red ban being put into place at this intersection sometime after October of 2021 as well, as Google Street View still shows the old thru signal on this arm. Admittedly, the old signal was a bit strange as well, as the background on it was shifted downwards a good bit to accommodate the overhead wires above the mast arm.
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

That reminds me of one use of red arrows seen in Australia (and perhaps NZ), however they're not typically tied to the full red.

In Aus, they usually illuminate with the full red but then remain lit when the full red drops to green. They're most commonly used for holding turning traffic while parallel pedestrian and cycle movements run.

Another feature of signals where we're decades behind the times here in the UK.
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Kept meaning to post this when GSV finally got it. I've never seen a mast arm using two heads for different directions on them. Very odd looking indeed.
traffic-light-man

L.J.D wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 18:57 Kept meaning to post this when GSV finally got it. I've never seen a mast arm using two heads for different directions on them. Very odd looking indeed.
Back-to-back ones are fairly common, I presume you mean the two approaches meeting on right angles (or near enough)?

Certainly not common at all - in fact I think the only one I've ever seen is this one in Glasgow.

It's a shame that those ones on the M1 have poor visibility on certain approaches (mainly on the circulatory) due to the angles and vegetation as it's a really neat idea - it might be better in person, though, it's too easy to critique from GSV, after all! It's also a shame that despite the mast arms, tall poles were still used on every node as well :roll:
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

traffic-light-man wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 20:06 Certainly not common at all - in fact I think the only one I've ever seen is this one in Glasgow.
Wow that one looks very European compared to the ones on the M1 junction. I do wonder why they'd left the boards off the M1 installation perhaps they took up extra space. With the increased reliability in LED technology it seems alot more mast arms are going up than ever before so it's also cool to see them used in new ways.

Speaking of increased visibility this new crossing / mini junction outside Leeds bus station could do with something doing to it as motorists just seem to ignore its presence obvious in the GSV images. I was obeserving the other day and drivers were just streaming through on red. Perhaps a RLC would be the answer ? As I don't see visibility as an issue personally.
rh1985moc

Post by rh1985moc »

Hi
Out of interest (as a Mellor fan); who makes these hideous things:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2541325 ... ?entry=ttu

The ones I've seen seem to go yellow on the border really quickly.

Also, who manufacturers these ones?
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3778272 ... ?entry=ttu
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

rh1985moc wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 18:13 Hi
Out of interest (as a Mellor fan); who makes these hideous things:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2541325 ... ?entry=ttu

The ones I've seen seem to go yellow on the border really quickly.
Peek now owned by Swarco (originally Independent, then bought by Dynniq, who changed it to what it is today with the smaller surround).
rh1985moc wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 18:13 Also, who manufacturers these ones?
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3778272 ... ?entry=ttu
Telent the company which took over TSEU that was originally Microssence and another company. I prefer these borders to the ones that are used mainly in Leeds:
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.8089242 ... ?entry=ttu
traffic-light-man

rh1985moc wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 18:13 The ones I've seen seem to go yellow on the border really quickly.
That's a residue that's left when the retro reflective tape falls off. It's a problem with a certain era of Elite, and yes, they look awful when it happens - even worse at night! It's easily fixed with more tape that's better applied, but I don't think it's high up the list for most authorities, especially while it still physically has a border attached.
rh1985moc wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 18:13Also, who manufacturers these ones?
link
As OliverH says, they are supplied by Telent as the '4G' signal head.

They're manufactured by Swarco, who markets them as the 'Futura'. Swarco have an offering which uses a housing sized for larger 300mm aspects, but featuring a 200mm aspect. This is the type that Telent uses (with good reason - box signs), meaning they seem out of proportion when compared with their 'rest of world' counterparts. The backing boards, hoods and brackets (AFAIK) are not supplied by Swarco, they're 'after market' alterations by Telent to make it fit for the UK market.
Simon
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

traffic-light-man wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 06:21
rh1985moc wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 18:13Also, who manufacturers these ones?
link
As OliverH says, they are supplied by Telent as the '4G' signal head.

They're manufactured by Swarco, who markets them as the 'Futura'. Swarco have an offering which uses a housing sized for larger 300mm aspects, but featuring a 200mm aspect. This is the type that Telent uses (with good reason - box signs), meaning they seem out of proportion when compared with their 'rest of world' counterparts. The backing boards, hoods and brackets (AFAIK) are not supplied by Swarco, they're 'after market' alterations by Telent to make it fit for the UK market.
Here is a link to the Data Sheet: https://www.swarco.com/sites/default/fi ... asheet.pdf
traffic-light-man

OliverH wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 23:33Here is a link to the Data Sheet: https://www.swarco.com/sites/default/fi ... asheet.pdf
Worth noting that it looks as though that's the version offered directly by Swarco, rather than the Telent-supplied one - although it looks like they've used a Telent one on in the photograph! Tell-tale signs are the backing board, which on the Swarco one covers the whole front of the signal face and is attached by a series of brackets making it stand off the front slightly, the top and bottom brackets, and the cable entry point. Telent tend to set theirs up to be more 'traditional', i.e. directly fitted backing boards on the front face, different size top/bottom brackets and top module cable entry in the standard position.

I've never seen a 'proper' Swarco one in the wild mind you, only at trade shows, and I'm not entirely sure of their motivation to bother making one - perhaps an early attempt at entering the UK market directly.
Simon
Arran

Post by Arran »

Found This in Dorchester, Remember passing this set earlier this year but can't remember seeing this specimen
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Arran wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 16:47 Found This in Dorchester, Remember passing this set earlier this year but can't remember seeing this specimen
A single left arrow? Not common, but they do pop up occasionally. There's one at the city end of Lady Bay Bridge in Nottingham that allows you to turn on to the bridge as traffic coming from the bridge is turning right, it repeats a left filter arrow on the primary signal.
Last edited by Chris Bertram on Wed Aug 23, 2023 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
traffic-light-man

Arran wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 16:47 Found This in Dorchester, Remember passing this set earlier this year but can't remember seeing this specimen
Does that one actually do its job from that position? Seems far too far into the side arm to be of much use to me, though I am critiquing using GSV!

I understand the desire for trying to keep a left filter on the nearside when possible, but in this instance I can't see the problem with sticking it on the secondary RAG.
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Well this unique mast arm I posted a few pages back has sadly been removed and replaced by 2 primary totems with 4 signal heads on each totem. The street light has been replaced with a normal column. Seems backwards replacing 2 heads with more heads than previously. But I guess it makes maintaining the site easier. I've often noticed the odd trend around here to either install more heads than was previously there or take away heads so the number of heads is less than before.
traffic-light-man

L.J.D wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 18:52 Well this unique mast arm I posted a few pages back has sadly been removed and replaced by 2 primary totems with 4 signal heads on each totem. The street light has been replaced with a normal column. Seems backwards replacing 2 heads with more heads than previously. But I guess it makes maintaining the site easier. I've often noticed the odd trend around here to either install more heads than was previously there or take away heads so the number of heads is less than before.
It'd be interesting to see what led to the decision for that mast arm in the first place. I wonder if it was also the same thing that led to the warning signs with yellow backing boards.

I know it can be quite deceptive looking on GSV because of the camera height and the face you're only seeing a snapshot in time, but I don't think I'd bat an eyelid if it was a two-pole crossing with two heads for each approach.
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 21:57 It'd be interesting to see what led to the decision for that mast arm in the first place. I wonder if it was also the same thing that led to the warning signs with yellow backing boards.
The gradual gradient there is more deceptive on GSV. Plus the car parking bays block off some visibility of the signals at a distance. From observation the other night you can just about see the signals poking up over the gradient as I originally thought the mast arm was still there but as I got closer I realised it had been changed to totems. So I suppose it does the same job!

You could ask why the recent Newton Bar Roundabout upgrade just further down has had 3 mast arms installed. But this is Wakefield they seem to love mast arms. Which is probably why the pedestrian crossing had one too! You can see a few mast arms waiting to be put into service the other two here.