Testos Roundabout

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jabbaboy

Re: Testos Roundabout

Post by jabbaboy »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 06:52
jabbaboy wrote:
A303Chris wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 09:46 According to this press release, the flyover open yesterday.
since 2019, drivers can now continue along the A19 north or south without being held up at the Silverlink Roundabout (A19/A1084 Coast Road) with the creation of a new carriageway under the existing junction.

Bit of a mistake there, not sure where they've got that number from it's not as it's the numbers swapped etc (A1058).

Great news though and makes such a change travelling South from Northumberland without being stuck at either Silverlink/Testo's/Tyne Tunnel or Team Valley at rush hour.
Heading for the A184 spine road we usually take the A194(M) then continue on the A194 to meet the A19 to the tunnel, even though the signed route is via the A184.

I suppose what matters is how traffic movements have changed when going from the A184 and A19. Especially coming from the A19 to the A184 I usually avoided it as Testos was one of those roundabouts that it doesn't matter how often you drive it, you still feel like you're doing it wrong.
Yeah I think everyone does that who's local as it cuts the corner off. It can be quicker by Testos going North at rush hour though as Lindisfarne can block up (A19/A194 junction) and also the lights just past Whitemare Pool services. Guessing they sign people the other way as they know it couldn't cope with the extra traffic heading along there.