A24 (NI) Ballynahinch Bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

A24 (NI) Ballynahinch Bypass

Post by c2R »

Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Jonathan24

Re: A24 (NI) Ballynahinch Bypass

Post by Jonathan24 »

Unfortunately, construction dates keep getting pushed back, as with virtually every other project in NI.

At present, construction isn't expected to begin until the end of 2022 at the earliest, which is a year later than was expected at this time last year. I know funding for these schemes is always a problem, but it can't really be that much of a problem, given the money which was allocated to the A5 and which can't proceed at present. Or is all the money just being wasted on consultants and court challenges?
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Another badly needed, relatively minor scheme that will remove a significant bottleneck on the A24.

I think the Ballynahinch bypass has been planned for several decades now. The sooner it is built and the town relieved of its through traffic, the better.
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

There's a petition currently ongoing about the lack of progress here: https://www.openpetition.eu/uk/petition ... nch-bypass
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
bothar

Post by bothar »

c2R wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 21:12 There's a petition currently ongoing about the lack of progress here: https://www.openpetition.eu/uk/petition ... nch-bypass
More than a few NI road projects show a lack of progress
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

bothar wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 21:18
c2R wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 21:12 There's a petition currently ongoing about the lack of progress here: https://www.openpetition.eu/uk/petition ... nch-bypass
More than a few NI road projects show a lack of progress
It seems all we ever do is come up with schemes, pay lots of money to consultants, defer them for one reason or another and then cancel them. The amount of money that has been spent on schemes which have never been built would pay for a significant number of projects...
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

All the more pressing by a tragic incident as referenced in the petition - https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 68799.html

It's a town that is local to me, a bottleneck on the A24 Belfast to Newcastle road,
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

wallmeerkat wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:34 All the more pressing by a tragic incident as referenced in the petition - https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 68799.html

It's a town that is local to me, a bottleneck on the A24 Belfast to Newcastle road,
What I don't quite get is why the bypass isn't extended round to to the A49... I travel through the town when heading towards either Dromore or Lisburn, and can understand the Dromore route not being a highly traffic priority, but with the quarries and industrial areas to the north, you'd think that linking to the A49 would have been part of the scheme.... unless the plan is to get a developer to fund it later of course....
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

c2R wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 16:59
wallmeerkat wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:34 All the more pressing by a tragic incident as referenced in the petition - https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 68799.html

What I don't quite get is why the bypass isn't extended round to to the A49... I travel through the town when heading towards either Dromore or Lisburn, and can understand the Dromore route not being a highly traffic priority, but with the quarries and industrial areas to the north, you'd think that linking to the A49 would have been part of the scheme.... unless the plan is to get a developer to fund it later of course....
Good point, maybe they're reasoning that if they can at least move the Belfast to Newcastle traffic away, even halving what's going through the town, then Lisburn and Dromore traffic will find it a bit easier to get through anyway?

I'm near Saintfield but our local council recycling centre is on the road out towards Hillsborough, so I'm often using the likes of the Creevytenant Road as a bit of a link road.