South Armagh signpost

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Re: South Armagh signpost

Post by AndyB »

The answer about Castleblayney is that it would have been peculiar not to include it. It was after all the next main town, and Dundalk was always signed from Newry and Buncrana and Letterkenny from Derry.
bothar

Post by bothar »

AndyB wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 18:34 I finally got to the Ballintemple crossroads via the back roads from Crossmaglen, several old green tourist signs, and a switchback.

I’ve photographed front and back of all four fingers, and I’ll post descriptions later on.
By way of the picturesque Ballard road and the Ballintemple viewpoint? Nice drive
AndyB wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 22:31 The answer about Castleblayney is that it would have been peculiar not to include it. It was after all the next main town, and Dundalk was always signed from Newry and Buncrana and Letterkenny from Derry.
I don't think that the policy on signposting cross border destinations changed much over the years, except someone decided to change the spelling of Castleblayney. The NI authorities had a predilection for "approved routes", and over three decades after this concept had any meaning whatsoever the signs still direct you by roundabout routes and nobody bothers to change them.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

From Ballintemple that is the most direct route to Castleblayney :)

The thing with approved roads is that it suited the police and army to restrict through traffic to roads which could be used for customs purposes. The A37 was called Concession Road because it was a concession to the unapproved status because it connected south to south.

Granted, I don't know my border areas that well, but I think that as a general rule, signage still directs along the approved routes because they were open throughout the troubles and therefore were maintained to a higher standard.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Is the viewpoint sign “piggybacking” green status from the adjacent monument signs?? Seems a bit cheeky. I don’t recall green being designated other than for monuments??

Or has it simply faded??