NC500 Road Surface

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

Re: NC500 Road Surface

Post by rileyrob »

I'm sure this has been discussed on here before, but this is the Corran Bridge: https://www.google.com/maps/@54.9653537 ... ?entry=ttu
The steelwork was formed by the Cleveland Bridge Company alongside that for the Ballachulish Bridge, and the same team were supposed to move on to Corran after Ballachulish was open, then the Oil Crisis hit in 1973, just as the project was past the point of no return for Cleveland Bridge. End result was that they had several thousand tonnes of steelwork with nowhere to put it, until the Metro system started looking to bridge the Tyne. I'm sure some modifications were needed, but essentially, I believe, this bridge was designed to span the Corran Narrows.
Berk wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 23:59How many £millions is [The barrage] said to cost??
I think that the last serious appraisal of the idea was back in 2009/10, at which time the costs were put at either £250 or £750 million (sorry I can't remember if it was quarter or three quarters of a billion!) Power generation, fees on commercial shipping passing through, and a toll on the road (at a lower cost than the ferry) were all mentioned, with the costs due to be recouped in 20-25 years.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
jnty

Post by jnty »

rileyrob wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 13:30 and a toll on the road (at a lower cost than the ferry)
Much like the blanket A9 dualling commitment is a bit of an albatross round the neck of Highlands road funding at the moment, I can't help but feel toll abolition is too - it's still probably considered too politically toxic to consider new tolls at the moment, even if they would result in a drop in costs to regular users.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

rileyrob wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:48
Bryn666 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 23:06 Having seen the utter chaos at Glenfinnan with tourists now I can see the appeal in not opening a bridge across.
One of the problems that the Highlands have is that there are a few spots which are well known and attract huge numbers of visitors, often due to a handful of social media comments which get shared and so it multiplies. Certainly in the 18 years I have lived up here there are some places which used to be quite empty and pleasant in mid summer and are now virtually no go zones. Glenfinnan is one (judging by the vast new car parks that have been created), Glen Etive, Fairy Pools on Skye and Glen Affric are others. Covid has accelerated the problems.

On the other hand, over the last few weeks I have cycled through some areas (and driven some quiet roads to get there) which are just as scenic, and yet are still totally empty. The road up Glen Cassley for example is 11 miles long, I passed a birdwatcher, a cyclist and two moving cars with fishing gear. The only other signs of life were vehicles at the houses. The road from Ardgay to Croick was a little busier, but the upper reaches are just as scenic, and the road up Strathconon from Marybank or Contin is truly stunning, so why does everyone go to forested Glen Affric to enjoy the views of the trees?

In Argyll, there are some lovely quiet coastal roads such as the B8000 to Otter Ferry, or the Loch Sween Road. There is plenty of inland scenery to enjoy too in Glendaruel, and elsewhere on Cowal, but despite being just as close to Glasgow as Glen Etive and the like, these places are virtually deserted by the day trippers and tourists.

The Highlands are huge, and if people would only spread out a little more, venture to places they discover for themselves instead of being sheep and following friends facebook recommendations, there wouldn't be half the problems we have.
Don't tell them that! This is why I prefer the Tomintoul side in terms of not being rammed with tourists - the NC500 is pretty unbearable traffic wise in summer.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jnty

Post by jnty »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 15:15
rileyrob wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:48
Bryn666 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 23:06 Having seen the utter chaos at Glenfinnan with tourists now I can see the appeal in not opening a bridge across.
One of the problems that the Highlands have is that there are a few spots which are well known and attract huge numbers of visitors, often due to a handful of social media comments which get shared and so it multiplies. Certainly in the 18 years I have lived up here there are some places which used to be quite empty and pleasant in mid summer and are now virtually no go zones. Glenfinnan is one (judging by the vast new car parks that have been created), Glen Etive, Fairy Pools on Skye and Glen Affric are others. Covid has accelerated the problems.

On the other hand, over the last few weeks I have cycled through some areas (and driven some quiet roads to get there) which are just as scenic, and yet are still totally empty. The road up Glen Cassley for example is 11 miles long, I passed a birdwatcher, a cyclist and two moving cars with fishing gear. The only other signs of life were vehicles at the houses. The road from Ardgay to Croick was a little busier, but the upper reaches are just as scenic, and the road up Strathconon from Marybank or Contin is truly stunning, so why does everyone go to forested Glen Affric to enjoy the views of the trees?

In Argyll, there are some lovely quiet coastal roads such as the B8000 to Otter Ferry, or the Loch Sween Road. There is plenty of inland scenery to enjoy too in Glendaruel, and elsewhere on Cowal, but despite being just as close to Glasgow as Glen Etive and the like, these places are virtually deserted by the day trippers and tourists.

The Highlands are huge, and if people would only spread out a little more, venture to places they discover for themselves instead of being sheep and following friends facebook recommendations, there wouldn't be half the problems we have.
Don't tell them that! This is why I prefer the Tomintoul side in terms of not being rammed with tourists - the NC500 is pretty unbearable traffic wise in summer.
I almost said the same about Cowal! The concentration of tourism is a bit odd and probably has lots of factors - you can blame the NC500 but it's not really clear why it 'clicked' so well, and of course it doesn't actually go on to Skye yet that's one of the biggest hotspots. On the one hand, spreading it ought might be good, but on the other at least if the pattern of concentration stays similar at least the infrastructure can be gradually improved to match, rather than turning into a cat-and-mouse game as trends pass through.
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

In terms of the Corran Narrows - JUST BUILD IT!

Estimated construction costs range from between £42 million and £50 million for the lowest cost bridge option through to £66 million to £108 million for a tunnel. The estimates are beyond the resources of Highland Council
See: https://www.bridgeweb.com/Bridge-emerge ... -link/7258

However, they are talking about similar costs for upgraded slipways and 2 new ferries, with the ongoing crewing costs on top, so if the costs are similar in this case it would be insane to go with new ferries which will have a design life of a fraction of a cable stayed bridge.

Drive over video: https://www.facebook.com/Infrastructure ... 010242014/

(You do not need to be logged in despite Facebook asking you to).
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

jnty wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 15:43 I almost said the same about Cowal! The concentration of tourism is a bit odd and probably has lots of factors - you can blame the NC500 but it's not really clear why it 'clicked' so well, and of course it doesn't actually go on to Skye yet that's one of the biggest hotspots. On the one hand, spreading it ought might be good, but on the other at least if the pattern of concentration stays similar at least the infrastructure can be gradually improved to match, rather than turning into a cat-and-mouse game as trends pass through.
Personally having been to Skye and driven the NC500 before it was a big thing I think keeping them separate is a good thing. When I drove it my start and end point was Inverness. From there I could and did take a fairly rambling route back to England through Speyside but then as a whisky drinker how could I pass up the opportunity :)
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

jnty wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 15:43 I almost said the same about Cowal! The concentration of tourism is a bit odd and probably has lots of factors - you can blame the NC500 but it's not really clear why it 'clicked' so well, and of course it doesn't actually go on to Skye yet that's one of the biggest hotspots. On the one hand, spreading it ought might be good, but on the other at least if the pattern of concentration stays similar at least the infrastructure can be gradually improved to match, rather than turning into a cat-and-mouse game as trends pass through.
The pull factors beyond the landscape across the Highlands are linked to popular culture. The Jacobites have long been a draw, so Culloden, Glenfinnan, and the concentration in the Inverness Skye sort of area. Plus you now have Outlander, and with the Harry Potter films being filmed in the area, there are production related tours. The NC500 has been good at drawing people in with out this, as has Orkney which has been 'discovered' in the last 10 years. Plus of course whisky. Rosslyn Chapel near Edinburgh still gets Da Vinci Code tourists, and the book and film helped save it when it needed it.

And there has always been the Loch Ness Monster.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

exiled wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 17:31 The pull factors beyond the landscape across the Highlands are linked to popular culture. The Jacobites have long been a draw, so Culloden, Glenfinnan, and the concentration in the Inverness Skye sort of area. Plus you now have Outlander, and with the Harry Potter films being filmed in the area, there are production related tours. The NC500 has been good at drawing people in with out this, as has Orkney which has been 'discovered' in the last 10 years. Plus of course whisky. Rosslyn Chapel near Edinburgh still gets Da Vinci Code tourists, and the book and film helped save it when it needed it.

I am rather fond of Loch Tay myself, the last couple of times I went I stayed here.
https://www.google.com/maps/@56.5401137 ... ?entry=ttu

Its peaceful, lots of wildlife and within couple of hours drive from Perth, Pitlochry and Dundee.
owen b

Post by owen b »

exiled wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 17:31 The pull factors beyond the landscape across the Highlands are linked to popular culture. The Jacobites have long been a draw, so Culloden, Glenfinnan, and the concentration in the Inverness Skye sort of area. Plus you now have Outlander, and with the Harry Potter films being filmed in the area, there are production related tours. The NC500 has been good at drawing people in with out this, as has Orkney which has been 'discovered' in the last 10 years. Plus of course whisky. Rosslyn Chapel near Edinburgh still gets Da Vinci Code tourists, and the book and film helped save it when it needed it.

The Skyfall road (James Bond franchise) has drawn a lot of traffic to the Glen Etive minor road.
Owen
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

owen b wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 18:39

The Skyfall road (James Bond franchise) has drawn a lot of traffic to the Glen Etive minor road.
Shetland is benefiting from Shetland as well. Well, benefiting can be a double edged word for the areas in question.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

exiled wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 18:57
owen b wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 18:39

Shetland is benefiting from Shetland as well. Well, benefiting can be a double edged word for the areas in question.
Back in the early '60s one of our 3rd form books at Grammar School was The Shetland Bus and left a lasting impression on me - when we visited Shetland in 2000 I made a point of visiting some of the locations, including Lunna House, Lunna Kirk and Scalloway Harbour - there were no other visitors so I got a real feel for the isolation - the Hitra had been restored and was visiting Scalloway but we couldn't look around her.
Lifelong motorhead
Summers-lad

Post by Summers-lad »

Berk wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 18:35 Is the only issue at Corran money?? Seems like the simplest job in the world to build a bridge, or causeway.

How much of the canal is still used by boats and barges??
The water channel is deep and the currents are strong so a causeway wouldn't work. It's also used by cruise ships and for some freight transport so a bridge needs to be high enough to allow clearance. But money is the major issue - with funding, the engineering problems could be solved, and probably more easily than at Stromeferry.