Auto Shenanigans Youtube Channel

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Re: Auto Shenanigans Youtube Channel

Post by ravenbluemoon »

hoagy_ytfc wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 19:18 The M32 one (published today I think) has a rant about people who didn't want to lose their valuable allotments, which seems unnecessarily snidey.
Oh I don't know, from what I've seen of his channel he is snidey about a whole spectrum of people/things/concepts. A decent balance, I think.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

Snidey or taking the P in a funny way, depends how you read it. I had a good laugh at the "F... off!". It's one of those sense of humours you either get or you don't, probably a lot like my own. One of my best mates at Uni could have been the basis for Sheldon Cooper, he had me in stitches on a regular basis while everyone else was wondering if he was serious.
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
murphaph

Post by murphaph »

exiled wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 23:13
Mark Hewitt wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 20:44 I do think it was rather - cheeky - to use the theme from Wish You Were Here? as an outro when The Tim Traveller has been using that for a long time.
Could be pedantic an point out the tune is 'Carnival' by Gordon Gitrap. However, it is interesting that if a piece of music is used by a TV programme it often becomes that programme's music not its own, see 'Eye Level' by the Simon Park Orchestra for a similar tune or 'Jessica' by the Allman Brothers.
In Ireland these are the two best known cases of this I would suspect: Chris Andrews' To Whom it Concerns and Wencke Myhre's Jägerlatein. Instantly recognisable to Irish people for the last half century or so, even longer in the case of the former.
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

Jon or AutoShenanigans are back at it again, with the M6 Toll. Good mention of an multiplex, as he stated M6 Toll starts on the M42 near Water Orton.

For Jon: Birmingham Northern Relief Road
Fantasy Strip Map Creator- feel free to send me some requests!

As a wise roadie said, don't make any mistakes in building roads.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

JackieRoads wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 13:27 Jon or AutoShenanigans are back at it again, with the M6 Toll. Good mention of an multiplex, as he stated M6 Toll starts on the M42 near Water Orton.

But it doesn’t. The M6 Toll starts back on the M6 at junction 3a, with a free bit up to the M42. If it started on the M42 by Water Orton there’s no multiplex.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

That link is for one of the alternative proposals of 1987 and in my view the northern end is far superior as it flows directly onto the M54.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

Truvelo wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 16:43 That link is for one of the alternative proposals of 1987 and in my view the northern end is far superior as it flows directly onto the M54.
Did you do the others?
Fantasy Strip Map Creator- feel free to send me some requests!

As a wise roadie said, don't make any mistakes in building roads.
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

exiled wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 23:13
Mark Hewitt wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 20:44 I do think it was rather - cheeky - to use the theme from Wish You Were Here? as an outro when The Tim Traveller has been using that for a long time.
Could be pedantic an point out the tune is 'Carnival' by Gordon Gitrap. However, it is interesting that if a piece of music is used by a TV programme it often becomes that programme's music not its own, see 'Eye Level' by the Simon Park Orchestra for a similar tune or 'Jessica' by the Allman Brothers.
I do think that Jon needs to find a box girder bridge for one of the videos, then the outro could be "Angela" by Bob James.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

JackieRoads wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 19:18
Truvelo wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 16:43 That link is for one of the alternative proposals of 1987 and in my view the northern end is far superior as it flows directly onto the M54.
Did you do the others?
No, because there are no large scale plans for them.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

JackieRoads wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 13:27 Jon or AutoShenanigans are back at it again, with the M6 Toll. Good mention of an multiplex, as he stated M6 Toll starts on the M42 near Water Orton.

and he generally releases a new video at around midday on Sunday.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

BeenEverywhere wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 22:35 Snidey or taking the P in a funny way, depends how you read it. I had a good laugh at the "F... off!". It's one of those sense of humours you either get or you don't, probably a lot like my own. One of my best mates at Uni could have been the basis for Sheldon Cooper, he had me in stitches on a regular basis while everyone else was wondering if he was serious.
Living in Bristol (and long suffering from it) I had a good chuckle at that as well. He got the Metrobus details completely wrong - the M3 and M1 don't use the M32 bus junction to skip a section, rather to add a section to serve UWE whose accommodation is splintered across the metro area, and of course they rarely turn up anyway - but other than that very good!
paulweller84

Post by paulweller84 »

Hdeng16 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 06:44
Yep me too - the bridge over nothing near the park and ride, the ‘abandoned’ road from the old traffic lights at the south end. All seems valid for his channel.

That said, Winchester/Twyford could probably fill a video on its own
Where are these two places exactly? I am sort of familiar with the area but can't quite work out where this bridge and abandoned road are.

Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

paulweller84 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 06:34
Hdeng16 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 06:44
Yep me too - the bridge over nothing near the park and ride, the ‘abandoned’ road from the old traffic lights at the south end. All seems valid for his channel.

That said, Winchester/Twyford could probably fill a video on its own
Where are these two places exactly? I am sort of familiar with the area but can't quite work out where this bridge and abandoned road are.

Bridge over nothing is here…
https://maps.app.goo.gl/B5PDZ7HyyYq3GNGS6?g_st=ic

Abandoned road is here… https://maps.app.goo.gl/uP3jAfhkBnaJTDWn6?g_st=ic

I was obsessed with this place for a while but probably a decade since I last went for a full investigation. It’s honestly amazing how quickly nature has taken stuff back. If you use street view in the park and ride (under/next to the bridge) and then go back to 2008ish you’ll see the bridge more clearly.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

paulweller84 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 06:34 Where are these two places exactly? I am sort of familiar with the area but can't quite work out where this bridge and abandoned road are.

This is a good time to explore Sabre Maps, using the historic overlays you can see exactly where they were on the old Ordnance Survey maps, here is a link that shows the old route of the A33. You may have to zoom in on the map but that takes you back to the 1960's :)

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 12&layer=0
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

B1040 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 20:14 In his Holme Fen (lowest road in Britain) video, I felt he came across as a bit sarcastic about my part of the country. (Can't remember how,).
I’d seen quite a few of the videos but not this one, which is about an area near my home patch, until I saw it mentioned in your post. I thought it was actually pretty good. While I love the Fens, I wasn’t particularly offended by his comments about them - I thought it was just fairly gentle joshing/teasing.

I watch/subscribe to many of the transport-related YouTube channels people have mentioned in this thread but my absolute favourite, which is strictly-speaking car rather than roads related, is Salvage Rebuilds UK, which as its name suggests has quite a lot on rebuilding crashed cars, although there’s loads of other stuff on there as well, including quite a lot on classics.

The first impression you might get of it is that it’s going to be a bit dodgy - two blokes with strong estuary accents fixing up write-offs and selling them on - but the more you get into it, the more you realise that they are incredibly bright, skilled, hard working people who operate in a very transparent, professional and ethical way. It’s also very informative on fixing and maintaining cars in general.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Jon's channel is brilliant, the fact that he's mentioned this Forum is good as well, will definitely bring a positive impact in terms of views and if it gets more people interested in the British road network as a whole then I'm all for it!
His videos on the M48/49/50 are good as well, nice to bring some attention to these somewhat unknown roads.

Tom
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Every brand from A to X
So avoid 1960s Tesco if you fancy a Yoplait? :D
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Jon-AutoShenanigans wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 22:17 Hello everyone, how the devil are you?

My name is Jon and I'm behind the Auto Shenanigans channel. I'm a little late to the party, my apologies! I've enjoyed reading through the various bits of feedback and comments etc. I've never had my own thread on a forum :D

I feel it might impossible to answer all the points raised given the time that has passed but feel free to ask anything.
Congratulations on 100k!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Jon-AutoShenanigans wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 22:17 Hello everyone, how the devil are you?

My name is Jon and I'm behind the Auto Shenanigans channel. I'm a little late to the party, my apologies! I've enjoyed reading through the various bits of feedback and comments etc. I've never had my own thread on a forum :D

I feel it might impossible to answer all the points raised given the time that has passed but feel free to ask anything.
"You didn't see me… right?"

(Got the end credits music for once this time.)

Congrats on the 100,000 subs.
IAN

Post by IAN »

A good feature on the M90 was uploaded last Sunday. I always learn something and this time it was that the M90 is partially built on the trackbed of a railway. The remainder of the trackbed can still be accessed, looks interesting for a visit.
AKA M5 Driver