Auto Shenanigans Youtube Channel

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

JackieRoads

Re: Auto Shenanigans Youtube Channel

Post by JackieRoads »

Jon-AutoShenanigans wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 22:17 Hello everyone, how the devil are you?

My name is Jon and I'm behind the Auto Shenanigans channel. I'm a little late to the party, my apologies! I've enjoyed reading through the various bits of feedback and comments etc. I've never had my own thread on a forum :D

I feel it might impossible to answer all the points raised given the time that has passed but feel free to ask anything.

Hopefully I can answer a few questions at least;

Yes I am aware of Sabre but only today discovered this thread despite trawling through pages and pages of years worth of posts to gather information for the episodes. Without the wealth of knowledge on this site as well as roads.org.uk, pathetic motorways, motorway services online and many others I can't think of, I'd have very little to work with. It's odd looking through Sabre forum posts dated in 2004 :lol:

I would certainly suggest, take the channel and videos with a pinch of salt, I make entertaining videos (I hope) that are loosely based around facts or interesting things and I admit my personality may not be for everyone. I would never claim to be an expert on any of the subjects I look at. Sometimes, when your comparing different information spanning different decades you can never find a definitive answer so I absolutely get things wrong from time to time, if you've spotted any errors, sorry about that! You guys most likely know better than I do! Certainly, there's a high level of sarcasm and general mickey taking in the videos I think some of you have noticed :) Don't mention the poor place name pronunciations... that's just something that I cannot control.

As a channel, it's been an interesting journey, for ages I made videos of questionable quality but, no one was really watching so it was ok. Then the "Secrets of the Motorway" series came out and overnight it just went a bit mad and it's been growing ever since. I've been plunged into a world of running a "media company" almost overnight and I'm still playing catch up, any glaring issues are to be resolved. It's only me and a drone pilot so I find everything takes for ever to get done :lol: It's still very much a learning curve for me, Until I started this I had never filmed or edited a video and then there's the script writing, research, location scouting, the list is endless and I had no idea :lol: But I do like to think with each video they get a little better each time as things are improved and refined. Check back in 5 years, I'm sure I'll have it down by then :lol:

I do watch Tim Traveller but I watched "Wish You Were Here" first (The Carnival Gordon Giltrap) :wink:

I have read through every single post in this thread and will always take viewers advice and feedback on board, I am definitely not getting everything right yet, but thank you for taking the time to post.

Anyway, ramblings over, thanks for reading and watching the channel, it's turned my life upside down but in the best way possible and I owe a lot of you many pints.
Congratulations on 100k subs, Jon - you've earned a silver play button!
Fantasy Strip Map Creator- feel free to send me some requests!

As a wise roadie said, don't make any mistakes in building roads.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

IAN wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 18:23 A good feature on the M90 was uploaded last Sunday. I always learn something and this time it was that the M90 is partially built on the trackbed of a railway. The remainder of the trackbed can still be accessed, looks interesting for a visit.
Yes, the line can be seen on SABRE Maps, especially if you use the Map Fader button to add a faded modern map to the standard display.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Summers-lad

Post by Summers-lad »

Steven wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 18:53
IAN wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 18:23 A good feature on the M90 was uploaded last Sunday. I always learn something and this time it was that the M90 is partially built on the trackbed of a railway. The remainder of the trackbed can still be accessed, looks interesting for a visit.
Yes, the line can be seen on SABRE Maps, especially if you use the Map Fader button to add a faded modern map to the standard display.
The video gave a good view of the railway. The northern part of the line - including the sections taken over by the motorway - were built as a high speed line to connect with the Forth Bridge. British Rail wanted to upgrade it but the Scottish Office refused funding as they wanted the land for the motorway. Using some of the trackbed saved £1/3 million at 1969 prices but left a serious gap in Scotland's main line network. The result is that trains between Inverness and Edinburgh have to take the much longer route by Stirling or (as they did from the early 1990s until last year) the somewhat longer, but slower, route by Ladybank. The line closure was one of the worst transport decisions of its time, and the motorway could - and should - have been built while retaining the railway.
solocle

Post by solocle »

Steven wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 18:53
And that explains that infamously tight bend!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

And the reason for them not using the northern part of the railway alignment becomes obvious when you use the map fader, as Steven suggests: there are two tunnels.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

John has nearly completed his excellent series on Britain's motorways. I wonder what he has in store for us next.
Summers-lad

Post by Summers-lad »

nowster wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 16:53
And the reason for them not using the northern part of the railway alignment becomes obvious when you use the map fader, as Steven suggests: there are two tunnels.
It uses part of the railway alignment on the north slope of the Ochils as it descends into Strathearn.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Rillington wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 17:06 John has nearly completed his excellent series on Britain's motorways. I wonder what he has in store for us next.
He's still got the northern bit of the M6 still to do, and most of the Ax(M) motorways.
Greg07

Post by Greg07 »

Rillington wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 17:06 John has nearly completed his excellent series on Britain's motorways. I wonder what he has in store for us next.
Hope Jon reads this thread, firstly many many congratulations on 100k and very well deserved. You must put so much work into all this.

Secondly, an idea, I have an excellent book "Britain's road tunnels" by Mark Chatterton published by Amberley in 2020.

I reckon there are tons of interesting tunnels that would make good videos, maybe starting by walking through the Rotherhide tunnel, or a Mersey tunnel tour.

Drone shots for example could show everyone who uses the tunnels what they are tunneling underneath !
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

nowster wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 22:18
He's still got the northern bit of the M6 still to do, and most of the Ax(M) motorways.
I'm sure he'll do another series based on the A-Roads.
Fantasy Strip Map Creator- feel free to send me some requests!

As a wise roadie said, don't make any mistakes in building roads.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

The F99 would be a great project. As he's been in Scotland a lot recently, he can start with A88.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
LiamPR1

Post by LiamPR1 »

Late to the party, just to say @jon "how the devil are you" and how much I enjoy your videos.

As a local to the M55 I was pleased to see your short update video about the overdue junction 2. I used it myself the other day and, Blimey, there's a lot of signage and markings they could have cut down on, though maybe that's following the rules for you eh.

Hope your next project is as successful as Secrets...
Roads, rails, clouds.
"Change happens slowly. Then all at once"
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Chris Bertram wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 13:27 The F99 would be a great project. As he's been in Scotland a lot recently, he can start with A88.
After All The Motorway Service Stations and Secrets of Mxx, what other Geoff Marshall ideas could he copy ? :stir:

Least used road in each county or Least used junction on each motorway
Visits to new roads on opening day
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:30
Chris Bertram wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 13:27 The F99 would be a great project. As he's been in Scotland a lot recently, he can start with A88.
After All The Motorway Service Stations and Secrets of Mxx, what other Geoff Marshall ideas could he copy ? :stir:

End of the line? All the junctions?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 16:15
the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:30 After All The Motorway Service Stations and Secrets of Mxx, what other Geoff Marshall ideas could he copy ? :stir:

End of the line?
In which he examines each end of every motorway in detail, or perhaps he visits dead ends of some sort. Preferably with some allotments.
All the junctions?
In which he has to use every motorway junction. I'm looking forward to it. :lol:
IAN

Post by IAN »

The final installment of 'Secrets of the Motorway' (M25 Part 3) was uploaded today. Thank you Jon for an excellent series. I wonder what's next. I'm sure that 'Secrets of the Axx Road' would be very interesting and keep us entertained for another 99 weeks!
AKA M5 Driver
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

Isn't there still the northern section of the M6 still to be featured?
IAN

Post by IAN »

Rillington wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 15:58 Isn't there still the northern section of the M6 still to be featured?
No, that one was uploaded 4 months ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTt64yD ... henanigans
AKA M5 Driver
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

IAN wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 14:07 The final installment of 'Secrets of the Motorway' (M25 Part 3) was uploaded today. Thank you Jon for an excellent series. I wonder what's next. I'm sure that 'Secrets of the Axx Road' would be very interesting and keep us entertained for another 99 weeks!
Indeed, Sundays will not be the same from now on. I was thinking there would be scope to squeeze a few more episodes out of 'Secrets of the Motorway' if it was extended to 'Secrets of the Roads that used to be Motorways' (former M10, M41, A40(M), A41(M), A102(M), A601(M), A6144(M) and any others I've forgotten). Could also cover why they're not motorways anymore.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

They could do 'secrets of the DCs you think should be motorways but are not' like the A90, A55, A66, A30, A38, and non A1(M) A1