A628/A616 Trans Pennine Corridor plans (M67-M1)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

fras

Re: A628/A616 Trans Pennine Corridor plans (M67-M1)

Post by fras »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 08:12
fras wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 00:43 The M6 Toll seems to have lost it's promoters lots of money, and the tolls are now pretty high compared to what they were, but nowhere near £50. Every time I travel on the M6 Toll, I find it quite empty, certainly there are almost no HGVs at all.

I would think that if a £50 toll was applied to a future M67, there would be almost no traffic on it at all.
The train works out cheaper in that scenario doesn't it? Maybe we should be massively upgrading the Hope Valley line instead!
Some enhancement work has been done and is still underway by Network Rail to enable a more frequent service to be offered. Admittedly not a massive upgrade ! This line has three lengthy tunnels along its route, which might be a problem if it were to be electrified.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-t ... 20closures.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Only problem with the Hope Valley line (other than for the chronically impatient and hectic who seem to infest too much of the country, and I'm not really interested in the desperate clamourings of fools always in a desperate hurry) is that even the non-stoppers are usually pretty undersized, although a bit better some of the time now that TransPennine usually stick two three car units together. Well, when TransPennine are running at all; the East Midlands trains are better to travel on if not overcrowded but they're only four carriages and generally seem to be rammed full.
Fluid Dynamics

Post by Fluid Dynamics »

fras wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:08
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 08:12
fras wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 00:43 The M6 Toll seems to have lost it's promoters lots of money, and the tolls are now pretty high compared to what they were, but nowhere near £50. Every time I travel on the M6 Toll, I find it quite empty, certainly there are almost no HGVs at all.

I would think that if a £50 toll was applied to a future M67, there would be almost no traffic on it at all.
The train works out cheaper in that scenario doesn't it? Maybe we should be massively upgrading the Hope Valley line instead!
Some enhancement work has been done and is still underway by Network Rail to enable a more frequent service to be offered. Admittedly not a massive upgrade ! This line has three lengthy tunnels along its route, which might be a problem if it were to be electrified.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-t ... 20closures.
Whilst I don't think any significant toll would work, it may be more reasonable to levy a toll for any significant tunnel infrastructure which is significantly over the cost of normal road building. The toll would need to targeted at a level where it would represent value for money to road users, say £2 or £3 each way and could be justified on the basis of saved fuel costs for the longer M1-M62-M60. Agree about the local resident issue, perhaps local residents could benefit from reduced travel rates such as the residents of Dartford and Thurrock do for the Dartford Crossing?

Having said this, it isn't going to happen in my opinion. I think further local bypasses around Hollingworth and Tintwistle and some climbing lanes is about all that is environmentally acceptable Iin the current environment. I think improving and/or reopening the rail infrastructure between Sheffield and Manchester is a better option for getting commuters off the route, combined with the road improvements mentioned. The current scheme is more about improving local access rather than the next stage of an expressway between the 2 cities.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

M6Toll is used a lot by business drivers who can claim the toll on expenses. The toll for HGVs is so high that even in times of congestion on the original M6 it's not worth taking the toll road.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Fluid Dynamics

Post by Fluid Dynamics »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:04

M6Toll is used a lot by business drivers who can claim the toll on expenses. The toll for HGVs is so high that even in times of congestion on the original M6 it's not worth taking the toll road.
When I have travelled this way on business in he past, the M6 Toll is a welcome relief after the slog along the management motorway sections of he M1 and M6, and Norton Canes is a reasonable service area and spot to meet colleagues on route. If I lived locally I would find it harder to justify the expenditure being part of my everyday commute.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Fluid Dynamics wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:13
Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:04

When I have travelled this way on business in he past, the M6 Toll is a welcome relief after the slog along the management motorway sections of he M1 and M6, and Norton Canes is a reasonable service area and spot to meet colleagues on route. If I lived locally I would find it harder to justify the expenditure being part of my everyday commute.
I have used it once, just to see what it was like. Otherwise it runs in a direction that doesn't naturally form part of any journey I would take. I do have colleagues who use it who claim the toll on expenses, which I can fully understand.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!