1930's bypass proposals for Seaford and Pevensey in East Sussex

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M1keA

1930's bypass proposals for Seaford and Pevensey in East Sussex

Post by M1keA »

Found these in ESRO and thought I'd share

First up is Pevensey, the plan being stamped 27 Sep 1938
MA5D3-0077.jpg
I'm not sure but I don't think the Pevensey bypass aka the A27, didn't open til 2010ish :?:

T'other is for Seaford and there's a handwritten date of 17/7/38.
MA5D3-0079.jpg
File size limits mean you probably can't read the captions but the bottom left says
R.R.D Act 1935 6" Map showing Seaford By-Pass as approved by MOT under Section 24 (This route shown in Red)
Above that is
Alternative Route proposed by Objectors shown in blue
So by the looks of it the 'Seaford bypass' only really became the Bishoptstone bypass but I can't work out when this happened?
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: 1930's bypass proposals for Seaford and Pevensey in East Sussex

Post by Steven »

M1keA wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:59 File size limits mean you probably can't read the captions
By the way, if you upload images to the SABRE Wiki (with appropriate tagging if possible please!), then the file size limits are much more generous and with the tagging it means that the images don't get lost over time in forum threads for which it's not easy to search images.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

M1keA

Post by M1keA »

Steven wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 13:02 By the way, if you upload images to the SABRE Wiki (with appropriate tagging if possible please!), then the file size limits are much more generous and with the tagging it means that the images don't get lost over time in forum threads for which it's not easy to search images.
Please don't be throwing another FAQ at me to get my poor head around :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

M1keA wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 13:09
Steven wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 13:02 By the way, if you upload images to the SABRE Wiki (with appropriate tagging if possible please!), then the file size limits are much more generous and with the tagging it means that the images don't get lost over time in forum threads for which it's not easy to search images.
Please don't be throwing another FAQ at me to get my poor head around :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Sorry! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Steven wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 13:14
M1keA wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 13:09
Sorry! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh:

It would be worth checking the copyright status of these before any go on the wiki - a lot of record offices require you to sign your life away before you can begin using a camera, and among the terms is often a rule against publishing the photos.
M1keA

Post by M1keA »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 14:05
It would be worth checking the copyright status of these before any go on the wiki - a lot of record offices require you to sign your life away before you can begin using a camera, and among the terms is often a rule against publishing the photos.
ESRO charge a photography fee on the day, which I obviously paid, but I've posed the question as I can't honestly remember what was on the form.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

M1keA wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 14:20
Chris5156 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 14:05
ESRO charge a photography fee on the day, which I obviously paid, but I've posed the question as I can't honestly remember what was on the form.
Its an Open Archive so it shouldnt be a problem, this is what they say about copying
f you are visiting us and want to make copies of documents you are viewing with a camera, smartphone, or USB stick, some of these can be copied in the Reading & Reference Rooms, providing they are not too fragile and you have purchased a Copying Pass. They allow use of a camera/smartphone and use of the Book Eye scanners and microform readers from which images can be saved to a USB stick. USB sticks can be purchased from Reception (£8), or brought with you from home.

Copying Passes can be bought at Reception. They allow you to take as many images as you like. They are available daily (£15), weekly (£30) or monthly (£75).

Due to the current limited availability of documents, daily Copying Passes are available for £6. This is subject to change in future.

We allow use of hand-held cameras, phones and tablets throughout The Keep but tripods/stands and flash photography are not permitted.
There is a charge for high resolution images that they produce and as to copyright they say this
Images purchased from us are for personal use only. If you are interested in using the images for commercial purposes, please contact The Keep as copyright restrictions may apply
Its worth emailing them and explaining that Sabre is non commercial to get a response. Redcar and Middlesbrough Archives have similar rules and have been pretty open to their use on non commercial web sites.
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

M1keA wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:59 First up is Pevensey, the plan being stamped 27 Sep 1938
I'm not sure but I don't think the Pevensey bypass aka the A27, didn't open til 2010ish :?:
December 1990 per this Hansard table which how somehow found itself in a question about Aircraft Inspections!
https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/1 ... nspections
M1keA wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:59 T'other is for Seaford and there's a handwritten date of 17/7/38.
So by the looks of it the 'Seaford bypass' only really became the Bishopstone bypass but I can't work out when this happened?
You may need to look under Buckle Bypass. This looks to be in the area of the Bishopstone Bypass. A report in the Sussex Agricultural Express of 14 December 1945 stated that the Council Surveyor had spoken to the County Surveyor about the Buckle Bypass and the desirability of completing this part of the Seaham Bypass as early as possible.

A compulsory purchase order was made on 2 March 1949 - The East Sussex (Buckle bypass) Compulsory Purchase Order 1948. It was from Bishopstone Road, Bishopstone to Claremont Road, Seaford. It was still referred to as Buckle Bypass in the five year road plan in 1961.

After all that I've just seen it on the OpenStreetMap as Buckle Bypass https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 15&layer=0

This suggests a Spring 1964 target opening date https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233523990117 if the 1963 headline is correct. It would fit in between the 1963 and 1965 OS one inch maps, when it first appears.
Ian
M1keA

Post by M1keA »

Ross Spur wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 20:02 December 1990 per this Hansard table which how somehow found itself in a question about Aircraft Inspections!
https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/1 ... nspections

You may need to look under Buckle Bypass. This looks to be in the area of the Bishopstone Bypass. A report in the Sussex Agricultural Express of 14 December 1945 stated that the Council Surveyor had spoken to the County Surveyor about the Buckle Bypass and the desirability of completing this part of the Seaham Bypass as early as possible.

A compulsory purchase order was made on 2 March 1949 - The East Sussex (Buckle bypass) Compulsory Purchase Order 1948. It was from Bishopstone Road, Bishopstone to Claremont Road, Seaford. It was still referred to as Buckle Bypass in the five year road plan in 1961.

After all that I've just seen it on the OpenStreetMap as Buckle Bypass https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 15&layer=0

This suggests a Spring 1964 target opening date https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233523990117 if the 1963 headline is correct. It would fit in between the 1963 and 1965 OS one inch maps, when it first appears.
Good finds :)

However 1990 feels too long ago for the A27, unless 1990 isn't really 32 years ago? :? :D
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

ESRO is a good place for early road proposals. I visited there a couple of years ago during the pandemic when the car parking charges were lifted due to social distancing.

There are plans from the same era showing the Brighton Bypass on a similar line to what was built but with a 3 level stackabout at the A23/A27 junction. Pretty impressive for 80 odd years ago.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.