A8(M) on the Collins Road Atlas

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

A8(M) on the Collins Road Atlas

Post by roadphotos »

I've finally found a Great Britain Road Atlas that shows the A8(M) in all its glory. The 2023 Collins Road Atlas shows the road between the A8 and the M8/M73 at the Baillieston Interchange (east of Glasgow) as the A8(M) even though it's no longer signed as such. Most road atlases have failed to pick up on the fact that this small section of road is even a motorway, even the OS shows it as part of the A8. I know there has been a bit of debate as to whether the A8(M) still exists since the sign with the A8(M) on it was removed, of course either way this small section of road is still a motorway. Does anyone know for sure if it's still the A8(M) (Britain's shortest motorway) ?
roadphotos

Re: A8(M) on the Collins Road Atlas

Post by roadphotos »

The A8(M) on the Collins Road Atlas of Great Britain
Attachments
The A8(M) (east of Glasgow)
The A8(M) (east of Glasgow)
The A8(M)
The A8(M)
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

roadphotos wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 16:57 The A8(M) on the Collins Road Atlas of Great Britain
It shows the roundabout as an A-road that is inaccessible/inescapable for non-motorway traffic!

The primary status of the A8 is questionable too, and certainly it appears to change status as a random point.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 17:02The primary status of the A8 is questionable too, and certainly it appears to change status as a random point.
I've seen that on other maps too, but I'm sure it's wrong. It makes no sense, for a start, and is contradicted by green signs on the ground.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 17:36
SouthWest Philip wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 17:02The primary status of the A8 is questionable too, and certainly it appears to change status as a random point.
I've seen that on other maps too, but I'm sure it's wrong. It makes no sense, for a start, and is contradicted by green signs on the ground.
There's the added complication of the signs possibly being botched too, for example showing the A8 heading towards Glasgow being primary too. There is no reason for any part of the A8 that shadows the M8 being primary.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 17:41
Chris5156 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 17:36
There's the added complication of the signs possibly being botched too, for example showing the A8 heading towards Glasgow being primary too. There is no reason for any part of the A8 that shadows the M8 being primary.
This is true, but I think the “new” A8 parallel to the length that was upgraded to M8 a few years ago is a trunk road, and in Scotland trunk roads are primary while non-trunk are non-primary (exceptions apply etc.). So unless/until it reverts to a local authority it’ll likely stay primary. I don’t think the green signs make sense from a navigational point of view.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Another interesting thing is that the section of dual carriageway between the roundabout at the start of the A8(M) and the roundabout at the start of the Primary Route section of the A8 is signed as the A8 (green signs) when driving west and signed as the A89 (white signs) when driving east. This means that there's no real way of knowing the number of this section of road.
jnty

Post by jnty »

roadphotos wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 18:14 Another interesting thing is that the section of dual carriageway between the roundabout at the start of the A8(M) and the roundabout at the start of the Primary Route section of the A8 is signed as the A8 (green signs) when driving west and signed as the A89 (white signs) when driving east. This means that there's no real way of knowing the number of this section of road.
But the paint going east says the opposite! https://goo.gl/maps/U1qSujXAQYWoRrDL7
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

The latest entry is 26th October 2017 per a search of The Gazette https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/announcem ... _gov_scot/

19. That length of the M8/A8 Edinburgh - Greenock Trunk Road, being the A8(M) westbound carriageway from where it diverges from the circulatory carriageway of the Baillieston Junction generally westward to where it meets the circulatory carriageway at Swinton Roundabout, a distance of 293 metres or thereby.
20. That length of the M8/A8 Edinburgh - Greenock Trunk Road, being the A8(M) eastbound carriageway from where it diverges the circulatory carriageway at Swinton Roundabout, generally eastwards to where it meets the circulatory carriageway at Baillieston Junction, a distance of 297 metres or thereby.
Ian
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

But, then it's in legislation of 26 January 2022 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2022/26/made
Ian
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Ross Spur wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 19:24 But, then it's in legislation of 26 January 2022 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2022/26/made
Though confusingly referred to as:

"“the A8(M)” means that part of the M8 between Baillieston Roundabout and Swinton Roundabout"

and:

"“the M8” means the M8/A8/A8(M) Edinburgh - Greenock Trunk Road"

and, stranger still:

"“the A8” means that part of the M8 between Newhouse and Baillieston Traffic Lights"

I guess if you interpret the 'M8's in the descriptions of the A8 and A8(M) as "M8/A8/A8(M) Edinburgh - Greenock Trunk Road" it makes sense.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The OS Landranger (online mapping) now shows the A8(M) in blue, it had previously shown it in red as part of the A8, the only thing is that when you zoom in to the more detailed Explorer map this also now shows it in blue but confusingly still shows it as the A8 and not the A8(M)
IAN

Post by IAN »

It's also shown as A8(M) on Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8503183,-4.0896358,16z
AKA M5 Driver
Euan

Post by Euan »

roadphotos wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 15:50 The OS Landranger (online mapping) now shows the A8(M) in blue, it had previously shown it in red as part of the A8, the only thing is that when you zoom in to the more detailed Explorer map this also now shows it in blue but confusingly still shows it as the A8 and not the A8(M)
I'm using the Premium Topo layer on explore.osmaps.com and it still appears to be showing the A8(M) in red at every scale, with the 25k map indeed labelling it as a spur of the non-motorway A8. Are you looking at a more up-to-date map?
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

I'm looking at the latest most up to date online OS mapping, probably only recently updated. It now shows the A8(M) in blue, until the latest update it was still shown red which was incorrect.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Google maps show the A8(M) but the latest OS Explorer (online map) now shows the A8(M) as the M8 which is how it's signed when entering the motorway from the A8, the signs say that you are joining the M8 (M73 in brackets).
Gav

Post by Gav »

1.jpg
2.jpg
2.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
It is shown on ordinance survey on both scales as motorway but its listed as M8 and not A8(M)
Gav

Post by Gav »

roadphotos wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 17:00 Google maps show the A8(M) but the latest OS Explorer (online map) now shows the A8(M) as the M8 which is how it's signed when entering the motorway from the A8, the signs say that you are joining the M8 (M73 in brackets).
scotland has form for this - other end of the M8 at Edinburgh The exit from the M8 to Newbridge is signed as the M9, however those on here know that it is still the M8 until midway between the two over bridges forming the Newbridge roundabout.

The signage pandering to the road users rather than the actual realities of the road designations. When signing it was thought that the A8(M) would confuse. There is an A8 here and it continues along the old alignment. after a minor deviation. so having an A8 an A8(M) and M8 all in that area....

when it would be easier just to have A8 and M8. All the others involved with the road will be well aware of the different identities...
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Bit of a shame that the A8(M) sign that had pointed west from the Baillieston Interchange was removed not long after the opening of the road, I understand that it was confusing for motorist because the A8(M) is so short but it would have been nice to have kept it as it was the only sign that had the A8(M) on it. It can be viewed on Jens Roads on her drive along the A8(M) when it first opened.
Summers-lad

Post by Summers-lad »

orudge wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 09:54
Ross Spur wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 19:24 But, then it's in legislation of 26 January 2022 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2022/26/made
Though confusingly referred to as:

"“the A8(M)” means that part of the M8 between Baillieston Roundabout and Swinton Roundabout"

and:

"“the M8” means the M8/A8/A8(M) Edinburgh - Greenock Trunk Road"

and, stranger still:

"“the A8” means that part of the M8 between Newhouse and Baillieston Traffic Lights"

I guess if you interpret the 'M8's in the descriptions of the A8 and A8(M) as "M8/A8/A8(M) Edinburgh - Greenock Trunk Road" it makes sense.
Transport Scotland's official list of trunk roads https://www.transport.gov.scot/publicat ... unk-roads/ confirms that both the M8 and parallel A8 between Newhouse and Baillieston are trunk. Sometimes roads remain trunk until remedial work is done, after which they're handed over to the local authority, but I've no idea if that is the case here or not.