Mystery Perth B Road 1980s

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

Mystery Perth B Road 1980s

Post by rileyrob »

Can anyone help identify the number of the B road that existed in the centre of Perth in the 1980s? It ran through the city centre on County Place / South Street, then turned north along Tay Street between the two bridges. Based on mapping I have, it seems to have been created in 1983/4, and survived until c1990.
It is not shown on the 1980 Landranger, nor the 1983 OS Atlas, both of which still show A roads on these streets.
It does appear on the 1984 Landranger and in the 1988 Book of the Road (below). The city centre plan does not show it, and has a note to say that the one way system is being revised in 1988
It has gone again by the 1996 Readers Digest Atlas, at which point Tay street is an A road once more, the rest unclassified.
perth-b-road.jpg
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
DavidB

Re: Mystery Perth B Road 1980s

Post by DavidB »

I've just gone through my collection of AZ GB Road Atlases and I've struck lucky. Edition 3, which doesn't have a date on it but according to AbeBooks was published in 1982, has a town plan of Perth which shows South Street as the B9112. I've had a go with scanning it as best I can and I've attached the result.

However the B9112 existed then (as it does now) as a road joining the B934 with the A93 to the west of Perth so rather than discovering a new road number it looks like I've simply found a new multiplex.

B9112 Perth.jpg
Euan

Post by Euan »

DavidB wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 17:13 I've just gone through my collection of AZ GB Road Atlases and I've struck lucky. Edition 3, which doesn't have a date on it but according to AbeBooks was published in 1982, has a town plan of Perth which shows South Street as the B9112. I've had a go with scanning it as best I can and I've attached the result.

However the B9112 existed then (as it does now) as a road joining the B934 with the A93 to the west of Perth so rather than discovering a new road number it looks like I've simply found a new multiplex.

B9112 Perth.jpg
Very interesting. The lack of B roads within Perth now is somewhat surprising for a settlement of its size and cutting back the B9112 may have contributed to that. I notice as well that your map shows Dundee Road on the east side of the Tay as the A93 rather than the A85. That seems surprising given that this was in the days before the A90’s northern extension back when the A85 was the number of the main road from Perth to Dundee. I don’t think Dundee Road has ever been the A93, unless others know different…
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

DavidB wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 17:13 I've just gone through my collection of AZ GB Road Atlases and I've struck lucky. Edition 3, which doesn't have a date on it but according to AbeBooks was published in 1982, has a town plan of Perth which shows South Street as the B9112. I've had a go with scanning it as best I can and I've attached the result.

Excellent find, thanks!

I did think it possible that the B9112 had been extended into Perth city centre, but my experience elsewhere in Scotland has found that silly little short routes like this were normally given their own number, so I was hoping to find one of the missing B91xx numbers. I guess most of the others were done in the 1970s, and this route in Perth was after 1980, and a different authority by then too.

Good to have solved the mystery though!
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: B9112 :

The B9112 is a short route running to the south west of Perth. It was originally unclassified but had gained its number by 1932.

The route starts on the B934 adjacent to Forteviot Bridge over the River Earn; indeed there is a TOTSO here and so traffic crossing the river runs straight onto the B9112. The route then follows the Earn downstream, following a

... Read More