Bawbee Bridge Replacement, Leven, Fife

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

Bawbee Bridge Replacement, Leven, Fife

Post by rileyrob »

Does anyone know exactly what is happening with the Bawbee Bridge on the A955 at Leven? From the various information I've found online, it is not clear if the whole bridge is being replaced, or just the span over the railway. I can't quite see how the railway bridge can be lifted to accommodate power lines without affecting the river bridge? I'm also not clear whether the existing 18T limit is for the river, railway or both parts of the bridge?

The council are currently installing a temporary bridge downstream connected to the B932 to maintain traffic and avoid a 5 mile detour. This also takes traffic around the new station site, and connects back into the existing roundabout on the east side of the river. The works are expected to take 9 - 12 months, starting on 31/10/22
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: Bawbee Bridge :

The Bawbee Bridge carries the A955 across the River Leven between Methil and Leven in Fife. It takes its name from the former toll price for a pedestrian of a halfpenny, or Bawbee in Scots. The first bridge on the site was a chain-suspension footbridge erected in 1821, but replaced in 1840 by a stone arch bridge with three arches across the river. At some point during the life of this bridge, the railway

... Read More