Non-trunk motorways: Who operates the signals and answers the phone?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

traffic-light-man

Non-trunk motorways: Who operates the signals and answers the phone?

Post by traffic-light-man »

Just a question I thought someone here might know the answer to...

I was crawling along the M62 between junctions 6 and 5 at the weekend, the congestion appearing as though it was the result of an incident on one of the bridges at J5 and the police having put on a rolling block. All the signals were flashing away, and as the queue was released, they all changed to show 'End', so presumably being operated live (as you'd expect).

Similarly, on my return journey, an incident at J6 had caused the mainline to be diverted 'up-and-over', with heavy congestion as a result. Again, all the signals were set in the usual manner, including a trio of 'leave at next exit' symbols which isn't something I've seen in person very often.

It was after this that I wondered who actually operates and maintains the signals on non-trunk motorways? Do NH continue to operate them on behalf of the local authorities, do the police retain control of the signals on those sections, or do the local authorities somehow have control over them?

This then led me onto a similar train of thought - who answers and looks after the emergency telephones? Is that handled in the same way as the signals?

The same situation presumably goes for the non-trunk stretch of the M65, which is also kitted out with signals and telephones.
Simon
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Re: Non-trunk motorways: Who operates the signals and answers the phone?

Post by RichardA35 »

Just as a quickie for the phones that were installed on the A35 across the Bere Regis to Honiton stretch.
There was no traffic control room for Dorset CC (at the time, there may be now) so the phones were configured as a 3 button unit with buttons for IIRC AA, RAC and Police.
They were GSM units as BT were often remote from the site.
I think the same was true of phones in laybys on the A50.
jervi

Post by jervi »

I've wondered this before, but don't have an answer for you.

One thing I have noticed is that on this de-trunked (2002) section of the A17, the parking layby signs still have the SOS phone bit, despite the phones being removed, I presume the phones where decommissioned and removed as part of the detrunking process.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.08895 ... 384!8i8192
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

I broke down on the A50 through Stoke once. In answer to your question of who answers the emergency phone (it had one button) .... No one
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
tom66

Post by tom66 »

Related question I suppose, who runs the phones for the Leeds Inner Ring Road (A58M/A64M)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.80511 ... 384!8i8192

At one point many of these are in very poor condition indeed (collision damage, mostly), but they do appear to have been replaced/repaired at some point.

Ref A17:
The idea of having SOS signs with no phones to me sounds bonkers, those parking signs should be replaced.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I have no idea but I'd be genuinely interested to find out!

My guess would be the local police control room but perhaps that's an outdated solution now.
vlad

Post by vlad »

BeenEverywhere wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 23:34 I broke down on the A50 through Stoke once. In answer to your question of who answers the emergency phone (it had one button) .... No one
That's disturbing given that the A50 is trunk.

(I appreciate that it's only the dual-carriageway bit east of the A500 that's trunk - but there aren't any emergence phones on the other bit.)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

Yes, that was east of the a500, before the tunnel but in one of the cuttings. I think it was more that the phone had been damaged and not repaired, but, it was rather a surreal night for a few reasons, least of which breaking down. Most of which probably goes under the heading "normal for Stoke" :shock:
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
traffic-light-man

Interestingly, I noticed that the M62 J4-J6 appears on the NH traffic information strip maps. It was showing the signals set for an ongoing incident when I thought to check it last night following this thread (I was actually curious to see if the strip maps were still available), and it appears to show live flow speeds and incidents as well.
Simon
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

National Highways set all signals on behalf of the police/local council and would also answer any calls from the emergency telephones, along non-strategic sections of motorway. But it is the respective police force's responsibility to attend. The same applies for the A38(M) too, although I have seen traffic officers provide support along there.
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The A57(M) opened with blue Anderson style SOS phones but these were removed in the 1980s by the looks of it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

In NI, there is a single Motorway control room, less than a mile from my house, which looks after phones and signals on the M1, main M2, M3, M5, M12, M22 and A8(M), and tasks out to the respective Roads Policing unit: Antrim for the M2, M5, M22, A8(M) and I think the M3, Belfast for the Westlink and M1 to Moira, and Portadown for the rest of the M1 and M12.

There is also a civilian traffic control centre somewhere in Belfast Harbour Estate, which actually controls the electronic signals when not being done automatically.

Phones on the M2 Ballymena bypass are linked to Ballymena, whose local police respond as required. The Bypass still uses the bases of the big blue phones repainted with modern orange units placed on top, and there are no electronic signals other than our “wrong way turn back” red wigwags.
traffic-light-man

Matthew wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 13:24 National Highways set all signals on behalf of the police/local council and would also answer any calls from the emergency telephones, along non-strategic sections of motorway. But it is the respective police force's responsibility to attend. The same applies for the A38(M) too, although I have seen traffic officers provide support along there.
Brilliant, thanks for the answer, Matthew!

Interesting point about NHTOs, too. I've seen them attend incidents on the non-trunk M62, but it has generally been if the trunk section has been/could be affected as well, or it's very close to J6, otherwise it's usually NWMPG who attend as you'd expect.
Simon
Duple

Post by Duple »

traffic-light-man wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:37 Interestingly, I noticed that the M62 J4-J6 appears on the NH traffic information strip maps. It was showing the signals set for an ongoing incident when I thought to check it last night following this thread (I was actually curious to see if the strip maps were still available), and it appears to show live flow speeds and incidents as well.
Interesting that this also shows the speed limits set on Smart Motorways.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

traffic-light-man wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 15:31 Brilliant, thanks for the answer, Matthew!

Interesting point about NHTOs, too. I've seen them attend incidents on the non-trunk M62, but it has generally been if the trunk section has been/could be affected as well, or it's very close to J6, otherwise it's usually NWMPG who attend as you'd expect.
You're warmly welcome. I didn't know the answer myself, so I contacted a colleague who did.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Duple wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 16:41
traffic-light-man wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:37 Interestingly, I noticed that the M62 J4-J6 appears on the NH traffic information strip maps. It was showing the signals set for an ongoing incident when I thought to check it last night following this thread (I was actually curious to see if the strip maps were still available), and it appears to show live flow speeds and incidents as well.
Interesting that this also shows the speed limits set on Smart Motorways.
I believe there are some sections of LHA roads which has flow data to hand. If you look around the West Midlands you'll see quite a lot of information.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

How long has this existed? That's actually awesome.