Red streetlights

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SouthWest Philip

Red streetlights

Post by SouthWest Philip »

There's a new roundabout in my area, a replacement for the previous staggered crossroads at the A38/A4104 junction near Upton-upon-Severn.

Yesterday evening I passed through after dark for the first time. I was somewhat surprised to find that the whole junction is lit up with red streetlighting. Not the orange of soft pink glow of old, but dark red. Is there any reason why they would have chosen LEDs (I presume) that are red?
JohnnyMo

Re: Red streetlights

Post by JohnnyMo »

AFAIU -- Eyes are meant to adjust quicker from red light to darkness, which is why red lights are used on naval ships.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I think red streetlights have been used occasionally in places where there’s a concern for the welfare of nearby wildlife - something to do with avoiding disruption to the day/night cycle for bats, for example.

Here’s a news article about one place where that’s the case, from 2019.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Chris5156 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:33 I think red streetlights have been used occasionally in places where there’s a concern for the welfare of nearby wildlife - something to do with avoiding disruption to the day/night cycle for bats, for example.

Here’s a news article about one place where that’s the case, from 2019.
Interesting. Clearly I've never driven the section of the A4440 past Warndon at night, so hadn't realised that Worcestershire has precedent for red lighting!
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

What about GREEN Street lighting?

Would it not be more aesthetically pleasing to have green street lighting in rural areas and small villages, given the human eye is most sensitive to green light about 5500–5700 nm, or are there traffic and pedestrian safety issues with that?

After all we had yellow high–pressure sodium for more years than I care to count!

Chris Williams
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Chris56000 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 23:52 What about GREEN Street lighting?

Would it not be more aesthetically pleasing to have green street lighting in rural areas and small villages, given the human eye is most sensitive to green light about 5500–5700 nm, or are there traffic and pedestrian safety issues with that?
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmm I'm not an expert but I'm confident green light other than green traffic lights could cause dangerous confusion.

Of course there are places red ambient lighting could be misinterpreted :coat:
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Green lights would be suitable for Hallowe'en, but would look decidedly weird and unpleasant for the rest of the year.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Wasn't the story that SOX streetlighting wasn't used a lot in the US because people were mistaking them for amber signals?
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:30 Wasn't the story that SOX streetlighting wasn't used a lot in the US because people were mistaking them for amber signals?
That makes alot of sense too given how the US has a habit of mounting all their signals overhead sometimes shared with lighting columns as well.