RCS to places other that a town or city

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

swissferry

Re: RCS to places other that a town or city

Post by swissferry »

rhyds

Post by rhyds »

I know that in Liverpool the Mersey Tunnels are referred to as (Tunnels) on signage, does anyone know if they ever made it to an RCS?
Built for comfort, not speed.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Technically this is a sign to a town, but I can't think of any other RCS with Stourbridge Town Centre 1 1/4 on it like this one on the A491
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

I've always felt that the first RCS leaving John o'Groats should show Lands End, and vice-versa.
solocle

Post by solocle »

WHBM wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:10 I've always felt that the first RCS leaving John o'Groats should show Lands End, and vice-versa.
That would be quite appropriate, although it would probably be a brown tourist one like the NC500 ones.

The main issue I think is that unlike the NC500, it's not a route, it's two points to travel between. Of course, there is the de facto route, with only really the first and last sections making any reference to it. A notable exception was Gretna:
My route wasn't the fastest 837 miles, or the traditional 874 miles. Instead it was 973 miles. Although this was weighted to the English leg, with 390 miles remaining here, instead of the signed 360.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

WHBM wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:10 I've always felt that the first RCS leaving John o'Groats should show Lands End, and vice-versa.
The traditional routes vary in length, depending on mode of transport - even for cars it varies between shortest and fastest, it's considerably longer for cyclists needing to avoid some of the hillier parts.

Anyway, at Land's End it should show Duncansby Head as that's further from Land's End than John O'Groats!
Lifelong motorhead
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Tarrington, a small village in Herefordshire, appears on the A438 in Bartestree.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Kinitawowi

Post by Kinitawowi »

rhyds wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:03 Technically this is a sign to a town, but I can't think of any other RCS with Stourbridge Town Centre 1 1/4 on it like this one on the A491
City centre 1 1/2 on the A665 near my old work.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

rhyds wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:01 I know that in Liverpool the Mersey Tunnels are referred to as (Tunnels) on signage, does anyone know if they ever made it to an RCS?
Not to my recollection - Liverpool is surprisingly bereft of RCS yet manages to have a "Birmingham 101" at Islington.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Kinitawowi wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:50 City centre 1 1/2 on the A665 near my old work.
If that's allowed then so is City Centre 8 on the A625.
Here's a generic "Motorway" on A630: this used to be common but is now quite rare as the motorway is usually specified.
Walshford on A168, with a population of 70 a strong candidate for the smallest settlement featuring on an RCS.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Kinitawowi wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:50
rhyds wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:03 Technically this is a sign to a town, but I can't think of any other RCS with Stourbridge Town Centre 1 1/4 on it like this one on the A491
City centre makes sense, however what I don't get is that "Stourbridge Town Centre" is signed when you've been in Stourbridge for a fair while.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

rhyds wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:55
Kinitawowi wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:50
City centre makes sense, however what I don't get is that "Stourbridge Town Centre" is signed when you've been in Stourbridge for a fair while.
You often find signage of that style when a local authority is made up of several towns; or where two or more towns or cities are near to one another; or simply to add clarity.

It's far more often on directional signage rather than RCSs mind.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Giants Causeway is listed as a destination on the NI A2 https://www.google.com/maps/@55.2100648 ... 312!8i6656

Makes sense for practical reasons as it's a tourist destination, but it is a rock formation with a(-n optional!) visitors centre not a town, city, village etc.

Indeed also interestingly Lisnagunogue is a townland, and Ballintoy is a small village.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

The LAKES 18 on the M6 North at J34.

That's about the only time I recall seeing a regional destination signed with a distance. And it's a bit more than 18 miles before you reach any of the actual lakes!

Signing regional destinations with distances is more common in Europe and the USA.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Osthagen wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 14:31 The LAKES 18 on the M6 North at J34.

That's about the only time I recall seeing a regional destination signed with a distance. And it's a bit more than 18 miles before you reach any of the actual lakes!

Signing regional destinations with distances is more common in Europe and the USA.
This one's a balls up rather than a specific policy objective I think. There are some really wacky sign designs associated with the A683.
Bryn

trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 14:35

This one's a balls up rather than a specific policy objective I think. There are some really wacky sign designs associated with the A683.
I think that sign actually means it's 18 miles until the (first) turn-off for the Lakes. Which is unusual to say the least.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

trickstat wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 15:24

I think that sign actually means it's 18 miles until the (first) turn-off for the Lakes. Which is unusual to say the least.
The distance of 18 miles corresponds very closely with Kendal.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

trickstat wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 15:24

Which is still a balls-up as regional destination identifiers don't come with a mileage.
Bryn