A8015 - incorrect ending location?

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

dereer

A8015 - incorrect ending location?

Post by dereer »

The A8015 in Tarbert, Scotland is currently described on SABRE Wiki as continuing all the way down Pier Road to end at a bench. However, Argyll and Bute Council's road list (https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/sites/de ... rea_ac.pdf) states that the A8015 ends at the "steamer pier" (this appears to be the old pier described in the article) while the road ahead to the bench is most likely unclassified road 26 (the A8015's page even has a picture of a sign that reads UC26!)

EDIT: I am not sure what the official situation is as I am still not entirely familiar with UK road numbering, but I believe that county councils are at least somewhat responsible for A-road numbers.
it/he/they | aka computerfan0
My travelled roads can be found here.
rileyrob

Re: A8015 - incorrect ending location?

Post by rileyrob »

This is what happens when something is so obvious that no one bothers to check!! The OS have ALWAYS marked the full length of the route as being the A8015, right to the bench. The oldest map to show the number at a suitable scale is the 1956 One Inch sheet, but even the 1961 Quarter Inch sheet shows the tick up at the end. There are no old 1:25,000 or larger scale maps available online that I can find to check, but the modern OS base layer used by Scotlis etc also shows the A8015 for the full extent of Pier Road, numbering it at the east end. Even the modern OS maps show the route to the very end.

The UC26 sign is a bit of a Red Herring. A&B Council in their infinite wisdom restart the numbering of UC roads in each 'area'. So the UC26 for Kintyre is apparently the east end of the erstwhile A8015, while the UC26 for Cowal is the Portavadie Road on the other side of the ferry, which is the road referred to in the sign.

The council list should be definitive, so I will make a note on the Wiki, but I'm not actually convinced on this occasion.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: A8015 :

The A8015 is a short link road in Tarbert, at the northern end of Kintyre. It dates to around 1935 when a previously unclassified road was upgraded.

The road starts in the centre of Tarbert at a sharp bend on the A83 and heads east along the harbour side. The south side of the road is at first lined with shops, hotels, cafes and so on, looking out across the pretty harbour, and all catering for

... Read More