Sign Colours

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Sign Colours

Post by the cheesecake man »

On the way home yesterday I started thinking about how many different colours appeared on each sign. :loco: :rolleyes: :loco: :coat:

So as it's only days to Christmas how many of the following twelve possibilities can we find examples of? I've done three to get us started.

ONE
TWO blue,white
THREE green,white,black
FOUR
FIVE
SIX green,white,yellow,blue,red,brown
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
JohnnyMo

Re: Sign Colours

Post by JohnnyMo »

FOUR
FIVE Not the A66 sign & in case anyone object of grounds of there should not be such a sign an alternative

Seven should be possible Black White Yellow Green Blue (Parking or Motorway) Brown & Red (Hospital, Station or Warning), after that maybe a loony left council with a Pride flag incorporated into a sign
Last edited by JohnnyMo on Fri Dec 09, 2022 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
jnty

Post by jnty »

Already been done but I quite like this FIVE.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 13:41 On the way home yesterday I started thinking about how many different colours appeared on each sign. :loco: :rolleyes: :loco: :coat:

So as it's only days to Christmas how many of the following twelve possibilities can we find examples of? I've done three to get us started.

ONE
TWO blue,white
THREE green,white,black
FOUR
FIVE
SIX green,white,yellow,blue,red,brown
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
The most you can get is nine. These are the official colours plus white and black:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/traffic-sig ... ur-palette

ONE white
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I'm sure if there's a sign which features the logo or emblem of an organisation then it would be possible to have 12 colours.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
jnty

Post by jnty »

I count at least 10 on this one :D

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UL9oJVW3iedcxJ81A

Better photo in a different location: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi ... tfield.JPG
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Conekicker wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 16:16 The most you can get is nine. These are the official colours plus white and black:

ONE white
And grey too.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

JohnnyMo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 13:51 ...
Seven should be possible Black White Yellow Green Blue (Parking or Motorway) Brown & Red (Hospital, Station or Warning), after that maybe a loony left council with a Pride flag incorporated into a sign
SEVEN
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 20:37
Conekicker wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 16:16 The most you can get is nine. These are the official colours plus white and black:

ONE white
And grey too.
Will this ONE count?
Johnny Mo
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 20:37

ONE white
And grey too.
Would a backing board count?
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

A full colour photo, so who knows how many colours. 🤷‍♂️
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8328915 ... 384!8i8192

Seven.
White
Black
Green
Yellow
Blue
Red
Brown
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Glen wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:27 A full colour photo, so who knows how many colours. 🤷‍♂️
16.7 million :wink:
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

I'm inclined to agree - without counting full-colour elements like photos and logos, it's not possible to get the higher numbers. It appears that there are 10 standard colours - the seven on the list jervi linked to plus black, white and grey.

One colour is a challenge. Know Your Traffic Signs lists reflective markers as a sign, and they're in one colour, but I'm not convinced that counts. The pre-Worboys red triangle is only one colour, as long as you consider it separately to the plate below.

Two through five are easy, there's plenty of standard signs that cover these ranges (the "traffic lights" warning has five).

From six upwards you're looking at the more complex direction signs. Nine is possible - a sign with a primary route (green, orange), motorway (blue, white), diversion route symbol (black, yellow), tourist (brown, white again), hospital (red, white again) and emergency services route (light green, white again, yellow again) has nine. Not sure any examples exist though. I can't see any way to get all ten - unless you count the backing board, grey is only used in "zone end" signs, which shouldn't appear on a direction sign.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Don’t forget fluorescent yellow on backing boards.

Meantime, ONE.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

AndyB wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 19:18 Don’t forget fluorescent yellow on backing boards.
I was counting that as "yellow". Is the colour of yellow backing boards different to the colour of temporary signs such as diversions, or of waiting restriction signs?
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

SteelCamel wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 21:41
AndyB wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 19:18 Don’t forget fluorescent yellow on backing boards.
I was counting that as "yellow". Is the colour of yellow backing boards different to the colour of temporary signs such as diversions, or of waiting restriction signs?
In theory it's all the same. In practise different manufacturers produce very slightly different shades.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

SteelCamel wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 21:41 I was counting that as "yellow". Is the colour of yellow backing boards different to the colour of temporary signs such as diversions, or of waiting restriction signs?
There are yellow backing boards

..And there are fluorescent backing boards.