"STOP" Imprinted onto red lenses in Upper Purton Swing Bridge

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

aj444

Re: "STOP" Imprinted onto red lenses in Upper Purton Swing Bridge

Post by aj444 »

Was92now625 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 19:46 I more often saw (I use "saw" as I cannot be sure I have seen them recently - I am sure that people will correct me if I am wrong) the word STOP in black across the filter etc.

From the 1970 London thread,

https://youtu.be/VwXQA03MJgE?t=444
Was92now625

Re: "STOP" Imprinted onto red lenses in Upper Purton Swing Bridge

Post by Was92now625 »

aj444 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 20:09
Was92now625 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 19:46 I more often saw (I use "saw" as I cannot be sure I have seen them recently - I am sure that people will correct me if I am wrong) the word STOP in black across the filter etc.

From the 1970 London thread,

https://youtu.be/VwXQA03MJgE?t=444
Yes - that's what I remember seeing.
Conekicker

Re: "STOP" Imprinted onto red lenses in Lower Purton Swing Bridge

Post by Conekicker »

Alderpoint wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 13:07
Conekicker wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 21:34 So who owns the signs and wig-wags and is thus responsible for updating them?
Why would they need to update them? No organisation is obliged to follow signage in a manual which has been produced by a completely unrelated organisation. You see this all the time with signage around supermarkets/shopping areas/industrial estates/service stations and other private roads.
If the signs are on a public highway they must comply to TSRGD.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Conekicker wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 08:49
Conekicker wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 21:34 So who owns the signs and wig-wags and is thus responsible for updating them?
Why would they need to update them? No organisation is obliged to follow signage in a manual which has been produced by a completely unrelated organisation. You see this all the time with signage around supermarkets/shopping areas/industrial estates/service stations and other private roads.
These roads are not public highway, so presumably there is no compulsion to comply. Of course non-compliant signs on private roads may be unenforcable, but are compliant signs on private roads enforcable? And if so by whom?
Let it snow.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Alderpoint wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 09:53 Why would they need to update them? No organisation is obliged to follow signage in a manual which has been produced by a completely unrelated organisation. You see this
These roads are not public highway, so presumably there is no compulsion to comply. Of course non-compliant signs on private roads may be unenforcable, but are compliant signs on private roads enforcable? And if so by whom?
The Wilton site on Teesside has several miles of private road with speed limits, the police cannot enforce them but the site owners can by simply banning you and your car from coming on site which is actually a rather effective sanction as you have to stop at the barrier and show your pass.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Alderpoint wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 09:53
Conekicker wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 08:49

If the roads are private, the owners can do what they like. Generally not a good idea though, as non-TSRGD signing could lead to poor/inappropriate driving.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.