Blank Speed Limit Signs erected on Disused Sliproad

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

StockburyRoundabout

Blank Speed Limit Signs erected on Disused Sliproad

Post by StockburyRoundabout »

At the southern end of Blue Bell Hill Village in Kent, some may know there is a disused slip road - once upon a time the line of the A229, and which closed in 2003 to prevent rat running - leading onto the present day A229 dual carriageway.

This disused slip road has always been maintained for emergency access since closure to traffic, with the vegetation being managed and streetlights being maintained, the lanterns having twice been replaced in the last 20 years in line with lantern replacements on the mainline A229 and slip roads still in use.

But recently a pair of speed limit-style signs - albeit with no detail visible on them - were installed at the end of the slip where it joins onto the dual carriageway.

I’m wondering what the installation of these could mean as it seems a bit of an odd choice to start erecting signs of that nature on a disused slip road, and I’m not aware of any Kent County Council plans to bring it back into use - and surely doing that would bring the rat running back.
Now with added Grade Separation!
WhiteBlueRed

Re: Blank Speed Limit Signs erected on Disused Sliproad

Post by WhiteBlueRed »

They are actually "no vehicles" signs. But it's strange that there isn't a "no vehicles" plate below them.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

WhiteBlueRed wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 15:18 They are actually "no vehicles" signs. But it's strange that there isn't a "no vehicles" plate below them.
Surely not on a busy dual carriageway? Everyone that passes is breaking the law.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Seems pointless as there is already a gate at both ends and no left turn signs on the main carriageway. The only thing I can think is an attempt to stop lorries using it as a layby which seems to have been the case in the past, but it's already a clearway anyway so just some repeaters would have been the correct way. Very strange. Edit: there doesn't seem to be any clearway restrictions on this road, or if there are, they aren't signed well.
jnty

Post by jnty »

They're obviously intended to prevent access to the slip road by left turn (as evidence by the no left turn sign just before) but have been placed as if they're blocking access from the slip to the road rather than the other way round. I suppose there's no standard way to sign this - unlike European countries, we tend to just assume people know not to do a 180 degree left turn up a slip road without signage - but it seems like there ought to be a better way than this. Turning the signs sideways so they're facing the main carriageway would be a good start I think, perhaps combined with those orange bollards?
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

I did consider that but with positioning of the nearside one, the only way someone would see it is if they are driving the wrong way.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Big L wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 15:33
WhiteBlueRed wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 15:18 They are actually "no vehicles" signs. But it's strange that there isn't a "no vehicles" plate below them.
Surely not on a busy dual carriageway? Everyone that passes is breaking the law.
I noticed a few days ago that there are similar "no motor vehicles" signs on the A14 Huntingdon bypass which could be interpreted as applying to the main carriageway rather than the service-only sliproads.
Let it snow.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

StockburyRoundabout wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 15:14 At the southern end of Blue Bell Hill Village in Kent, some may know there is a disused slip road - once upon a time the line of the A229, and which closed in 2003 to prevent rat running - leading onto the present day A229 dual carriageway.

This disused slip road has always been maintained for emergency access since closure to traffic, with the vegetation being managed and streetlights being maintained, the lanterns having twice been replaced in the last 20 years in line with lantern replacements on the mainline A229 and slip roads still in use.

But recently a pair of speed limit-style signs - albeit with no detail visible on them - were installed at the end of the slip where it joins onto the dual carriageway.

I’m wondering what the installation of these could mean as it seems a bit of an odd choice to start erecting signs of that nature on a disused slip road, and I’m not aware of any Kent County Council plans to bring it back into use - and surely doing that would bring the rat running back.
Does this answer your question?
jnty

Post by jnty »

Alderpoint wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 20:20
Big L wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 15:33
I noticed a few days ago that there are similar "no motor vehicles" signs on the A14 Huntingdon bypass which could be interpreted as applying to the main carriageway rather than the service-only sliproads.
Yes - at least have a left arrow there, or an "on slip." I tend to think stuff like this is quite unwise on a systemic level when stuff like this is apparently considered perfectly reasonable warning that cyclists should stop dead for fear of coming off.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

Looks like someone flytipped a load of cardboard and possibly other items there in Jan 2021, perhaps the signs were motivated by this. Of course, an ambiguous sign is always enough to deter this type of traffic.