RCS signs on roundabouts?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gareth Thomas

RCS signs on roundabouts?

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Whilst browsing Google Maps for something completely different (as you do), I found this.

The RCS for the A338 is on the roundabout, before the actual turnoff for the A338 towards Hungerford. So, a road user could go past it without even needing any branch of the A338.

There are a few places where it could go on the A338 itself, possibly on the back of this sign, so I do wonder why it is where it is.

Are there any other examples of something like this?
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
Osthagen

Re: RCS signs on roundabouts?

Post by Osthagen »

Not an RCS as such but its certainly unusual to see signs like this, which is for the A66 at Scotch Corner, in which the flag signs from a roundabout onto a primary route list not only the control destinations (Brough and Penrith), but the distances as well.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Gareth Thomas wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 17:42 Whilst browsing Google Maps for something completely different (as you do), I found this.

The RCS for the A338 is on the roundabout, before the actual turnoff for the A338 towards Hungerford. So, a road user could go past it without even needing any branch of the A338.

There are a few places where it could go on the A338 itself, possibly on the back of this sign, so I do wonder why it is where it is.

Are there any other examples of something like this?
The other weird thing is the low bridge warning as you leave the roundabout is for a bridge on the far side of Hungerford.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Not at a roundabout. But reminds me that Wigan council seem to have lots of these 'straight ahead' type direction signs which are similar to RCS.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5471022 ... 384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5443214 ... 384!8i8192
JoshBostock01

Post by JoshBostock01 »

This sign here is similar although it's not on the roundabout itself. It does seem extremely close to it though considering that all the other RCS on the road are placed a more reasonable distance away from their junction. As a bonus a flag sign with a distance market is also present here as well.
brombeer

Post by brombeer »

If you look at the historic Streetview pictures of the RCS in the original post, you’ll see that it used to be pretty much in that position - just after exiting the roundabout. But the larger construction on which that RCS was mounted was removed and clearly it was decided to move the RCS to a nearby lantern post. People seem to have forgotten that one lantern back is on the roundabout still and that this is a bit confusing.