M4 Morriston Bypass - Opened as M4.

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M4Simon

M4 Morriston Bypass - Opened as M4.

Post by M4Simon »

Some time ago, I obtained a copy of the inauguration booklet for the M4 Morriston Bypass from the daughter of someone who worked on the project. Apart from the civil engineering details and photos within it, it provides evidence that this road was planned and constructed as part of the western extension of the M4 from Newport, and that it opened as M4 on 16th September 1972. This is contrary to information on the SABRE wiki and elsewhere on the internet that makes the claim that it was planned and built as A48(M).

I have begun the process of enhancing the A48(M) (Morriston Bypass) article, but it needs a more fundamental change, in that the entire page needs to be renamed as M4 (Morriston Bypass), with the A48(M) Morriston Bypass page providing a redirect to the correctly named article. If someone who knows the process for doing this could help, I am happy to upload more of the opening brochure and add more to the article.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more

From the SABRE Wiki: A48(M) (Morriston Bypass) :

The towns of Morriston and Llansamlet, situated to the north of Swansea, were bypassed in 1972, the road comprising the current 3.9 mile section of M4 from J44 Lon-las to J46 Llangyfelach.

[[File:Another

... Read More