ANPR - & then number plate displayed on a speed sign.

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AAndy

ANPR - & then number plate displayed on a speed sign.

Post by AAndy »

I get around a bit but havn't come across another of these!

Rosudgeon, Cornwall.

Video here: https://youtu.be/dxDs4x4Ch30
Attachments
roscudgeon.jpg
Last edited by AAndy on Sat Feb 25, 2023 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Re: ANPR - & then number plate displayed on a speed sign.

Post by RichardA35 »

Just an enhanced SID really
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-p ... -cornwall/
and their data processing of the numberplate data
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-p ... cy-notice/
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

To tenously hop on to this thread, botched SID - my village has a 40mph through route, they installed a SID as a lot of cars are still doing 60 entering, but they left it at 30, so every time I pass it it is red and shouting at me for speeding :smile:
jnty

Post by jnty »

I always wonder what the reliability level of ANPR cameras is - it seems like this would be a good way to discover your plate is often illegible or misunderstood.

Though you'd be silly to chance it elsewhere as this sign probably uses relatively cheap tech.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

jnty wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 15:52 I always wonder what the reliability level of ANPR cameras is - it seems like this would be a good way to discover your plate is often illegible or misunderstood.

Though you'd be silly to chance it elsewhere as this sign probably uses relatively cheap tech.
IME the unreliability of these signs lies more in their speed measurement than their reading of the number plate - there's a reason why speed cameras (the ones used for prosecutions) need to be carefully controlled :wink:

I've had SIDs yell at me for going too fast when I've been doing less than the limit as indicated on my speedo, which underreads (as most do). Conversely, ANPR as used here to collect the congestion charge very rarely gets it wrong. The cases you read in the papers of people receiving CC invoices when they've been nowhere near the charge zones are nearly always due to cloned plates.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
jnty

Post by jnty »

FosseWay wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 15:58
jnty wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 15:52 I always wonder what the reliability level of ANPR cameras is - it seems like this would be a good way to discover your plate is often illegible or misunderstood.

IME the unreliability of these signs lies more in their speed measurement than their reading of the number plate - there's a reason why speed cameras (the ones used for prosecutions) need to be carefully controlled :wink:

I've had SIDs yell at me for going too fast when I've been doing less than the limit as indicated on my speedo, which underreads (as most do). Conversely, ANPR as used here to collect the congestion charge very rarely gets it wrong. The cases you read in the papers of people receiving CC invoices when they've been nowhere near the charge zones are nearly always due to cloned plates.
That makes sense, and any "misses" are probably to do with unusual situations like inclement weather or unusual vehicle positioning rather than anything intrinsic to the cameras.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

jnty wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 16:04 That makes sense, and any "misses" are probably to do with unusual situations like inclement weather or unusual vehicle positioning rather than anything intrinsic to the cameras.
The cameras used for speed enforcement are really pretty sharp. Due to a failure on my part to read the speed limit properly, I got a ticket a few weeks ago. It was dark and bucketing down with rain, yet the photograph the police sent me leaves no room for doubt about either the number plate or who was driving. This was also on a road with a higher limit than most SIDs get used on (and obviously I was going faster still :roll: ). I've no idea whether there's a huge difference in cost between cameras that give that kind of result and ones that basically can't pass the sight test you have to do before sitting your driving test, so I don't know whether decent cameras are beyond the budget of, say, a small village's parish council. But if they're not, it makes most sense to be as accurate as possible. It erodes the value of SIDs enough already if they give false alarms for speed, but if they go to the trouble of identifying specific vehicles but get it wrong, people will just laugh.
baroudeur

Post by baroudeur »

FosseWay wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 16:21
jnty wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 16:04 That makes sense, and any "misses" are probably to do with unusual situations like inclement weather or unusual vehicle positioning rather than anything intrinsic to the cameras.
The cameras used for speed enforcement are really pretty sharp. Due to a failure on my part to read the speed limit properly, I got a ticket a few weeks ago. It was dark and bucketing down with rain, yet the photograph the police sent me leaves no room for doubt about either the number plate or who was driving. This was also on a road with a higher limit than most SIDs get used on (and obviously I was going faster still :roll: ). I've no idea whether there's a huge difference in cost between cameras that give that kind of result and ones that basically can't pass the sight test you have to do before sitting your driving test, so I don't know whether decent cameras are beyond the budget of, say, a small village's parish council. But if they're not, it makes most sense to be as accurate as possible. It erodes the value of SIDs enough already if they give false alarms for speed, but if they go to the trouble of identifying specific vehicles but get it wrong, people will just laugh.
In my car I have three discreet GPS speedos, which all agree on the speed, and virtually every SID I pass reads the same as these three units

Sainsbury and a few other supermarkets have used SID with vehicle registration showing to remind, and enforce, the time restriction for parking. https://tinyurl.com/yjm9s6bn
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Golf club I know has had these for 20 years now. As you drive in it displays "Welcome [members name]". Visitors not on the list get the reg number instead. The sort of silly frippery (and expense) that golf clubs seem capable of.
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

Well, a mate of mine way up in Scotland has just had a letter from TFL through for doing an illegal turn in his Passat. The picture clearly shows a transit connect with a similar plate, just with one more character. :roll:

There's a sign like the one pictured in Sainsburys/Parking Eye's car park in Spalding, it tells you your reg and the entry time.... strangely doesn't work very well when I go in on my bike :wink:
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Very much old technology!

This one in Walsall has been part of the (street) furniture since 2011.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
jnty

Post by jnty »

Bfivethousand wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 20:59 Very much old technology!

Does it show the registration number of the car though? I think that's the specific thing being pointed out.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

In recent weeks my rear plate has become dirty enough that a camera cannot read it. However I can read it from a way off.

It's a little irritating that the supermarket car park payment machine says 'numberplate not recognised' so you can't pay or redeem your free parking token, given that it's not unknown for parking firms to chase people for far less.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

jnty wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 22:15

Does it show the registration number of the car though? I think that's the specific thing being pointed out.
Yes it did / does. The number plate display is beneath the tape.

Here's another one in action, a couple of miles from the other one. This one was in place in 2009.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Bfivethousand wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 01:59
jnty wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 22:15

Yes it did / does. The number plate display is beneath the tape.

Here's another one in action, a couple of miles from the other one. This one was in place in 2009.
A google streetview camera car exceeding the speed limit so it appears!!

Now you've pointed out these I have a vague recollection of a similar one in the roads around Wednesbury.....

edit....I've just looked at the map from the 2nd streetview link you've given... yes I've seen that one before!!! :shock: :D
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Big Nick wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 00:29 In recent weeks my rear plate has become dirty enough that a camera cannot read it. However I can read it from a way off.

It's a little irritating that the supermarket car park payment machine says 'numberplate not recognised' so you can't pay or redeem your free parking token, given that it's not unknown for parking firms to chase people for far less.
I've had problems with the airport car park here. The weather can be very different there than here on the coast, and several times I've set off from home in rain and arrived at the airport in a full-on blizzard, so that the front number plate is covered with snow. Easily solved by getting out and wiping the plate - just a bit of a pain in bad weather and with a queue of people behind you.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

On private land there's this sign at a Sainsbury's in Crystal Palace, London;
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4172422 ... 312!8i6656

It's definitely misread my car's plate wrong in the past, which I guess means unlimited free parking (I've never been brave enough to try that, though.)

You can also see the number plates for the fleet of Google cars that go through there.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

FosseWay wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 15:58 IME the unreliability of these signs lies more in their speed measurement than their reading of the number plate - there's a reason why speed cameras (the ones used for prosecutions) need to be carefully controlled :wink:

They can also jump impossibly when confusing one car with the next.

And one in Wylam once flashed "3" at me as I walked towards it :lol: I wonder how that would have got on trying to read my number plate? :lol:
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

tom66 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 17:53 On private land there's this sign at a Sainsbury's in Crystal Palace, London;
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4172422 ... 312!8i6656

It's definitely misread my car's plate wrong in the past, which I guess means unlimited free parking (I've never been brave enough to try that, though.)

You can also see the number plates for the fleet of Google cars that go through there.
It didn't seem to catch the most recent, when the lorry was taking the continental exit and the GSV car went in the other side of the road. I wonder does it catch on the way out
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 13:58
FosseWay wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 15:58 IME the unreliability of these signs lies more in their speed measurement than their reading of the number plate - there's a reason why speed cameras (the ones used for prosecutions) need to be carefully controlled :wink:

They can also jump impossibly when confusing one car with the next.
Seen that happen a lot with one near me, queue of traffic all doing the same speed but the speed displayed can be 15mph different from vehicle to vehicle despite the gaps not changing at all.
Another one I pass through occasionally on cruise control set to the limit seems to start off displaying a higher speed than you're doing but the closer you get the lower the displayed figure is, I'm assuming there's some cosine effect at play and that's causing the problem.