Zebra crossing on 40 mph road

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

R.S.D-A

Zebra crossing on 40 mph road

Post by R.S.D-A »

I'm looking for some advice regarding the zebra crossing in my village please. If you wanted to have a look at the location, it's Preston Road, Clayton-le Woods, PR6 7HZ.

It's located on a 40 mph road (A6 - heavy traffic), on a bend, in close proximity to three side roads, with shops and other businesses all around attracting ad-hoc parking. Visibility is dreadful because of general street clutter and the zebra itself is poorly lit (you can barley see the beacons, even in the dark) and the road markings are worn away. Every villager has had at least one hair raising experience. I've had to jump out of the way on two occasions where the first vehicle stopped and a follow-on vehicle did not, reaer-ending the first vehicle clean across the zebra. I don't expect a wheelchair user or visually impaired person would've been so lucky.

Our county councillor is working to have the zebra removed but the Highways Agency are fighting it, whilst also refusing LEDs on financial grounds. They are now introducing parking enforcements along the adjacent stretch, which from my research, will only serve to increase the traffic percentile speed.

We have been asked to email HA with our comments. My email is already reaching War and Peace proportions but I would be grateful for any similar situations I can site as evidence as to why it should be decommissioned, or any legal framework for removing or relocating the crossing. Thanks in advance
wallmeerkat

Re: Zebra crossing on 40 mph road

Post by wallmeerkat »

Our village is similar it is a 40mph through road and should be ideally 30, lots of parking with the shop, pub, school, not even a crossing. I've been asking local councillors for both a speed reduction and crossing.

In Killyleagh a zebra crossing on a 30mph road was replaced with a pelican crossing

News article (now disgraced councillor) http://www.thedownrecorder.co.uk/pages/ ... agh_street

GSV before https://www.google.com/maps/@54.399925, ... 312!8i6656

GSV now https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3999268 ... 384!8i8192
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

R.S.D-A wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 01:41 I'm looking for some advice regarding the zebra crossing in my village please. If you wanted to have a look at the location, it's Preston Road, Clayton-le Woods, PR6 7HZ.

It's located on a 40 mph road (A6 - heavy traffic), on a bend, in close proximity to three side roads, with shops and other businesses all around attracting ad-hoc parking. Visibility is dreadful because of general street clutter and the zebra itself is poorly lit (you can barley see the beacons, even in the dark) and the road markings are worn away. Every villager has had at least one hair raising experience. I've had to jump out of the way on two occasions where the first vehicle stopped and a follow-on vehicle did not, reaer-ending the first vehicle clean across the zebra. I don't expect a wheelchair user or visually impaired person would've been so lucky.

Our county councillor is working to have the zebra removed but the Highways Agency are fighting it, whilst also refusing LEDs on financial grounds. They are now introducing parking enforcements along the adjacent stretch, which from my research, will only serve to increase the traffic percentile speed.

We have been asked to email HA with our comments. My email is already reaching War and Peace proportions but I would be grateful for any similar situations I can site as evidence as to why it should be decommissioned, or any legal framework for removing or relocating the crossing. Thanks in advance
The highway authority for the A6 here is Lancashire County Council, not National Highways, so make sure your email goes to the right place! I know the road in question very well and the 40 limit and design is a hangover from before the M61 opened. It's overdue a massive review along there and I wish you luck in getting one done; further down in Chorley numerous changes to the highway layouts have been made particularly along the ex-dual carriageway section south of the town centre relief road.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

R.S.D-A wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 01:41 I'm looking for some advice regarding the zebra crossing in my village please. If you wanted to have a look at the location, it's Preston Road, Clayton-le Woods, PR6 7HZ.

If you haven't already done so, you may wish to read of Chapter 6 of The Traffic Signs Manual. Particularly Sections 13-16 inclusive.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... pter-6.pdf

Is this the crossing? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.69459 ... 8192?hl=en

And as Brynn says, good luck getting the local authority to do something. Traffic calming measures spring readily to mind if speeding really is a problem.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

There's one here on a double bend! With a 40 limit. You can always guarantee that people come around the bend and don't stop. Happened to me only last night and always does. Always thought that 40 limit through there is absolutely bizarre and I've stated so on here a few times.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

I don't know if standards now require a 30 limit for a zebra. Didn't used to, there were some villages long ago with no limit that had zebras, although traffic speeds were low because people are pretty sensible and I think they drove through like anywhere else, In any event they may have been 'lamp posts every 200 yards or less' places, just without a formal limit.

Some managing engineers and highways authorities just don't like zebras, for no particular reason, they think they have to have Pelicans at 10 times the cost, or nothing (the latter because they don't have any budget left).
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

I'm sure we've had a thread on zebra crossings not on 20/30mph roads before, and the one that instantly comes to mind is this rather alarming example at Ringwood - on a 70mph slip road. :shock: There's one on the opposite on-slip too, but this one feels that little bit worse somehow.
R.S.D-A

Post by R.S.D-A »

Thank you for all your replies. It's a complicated situation for a lay-person to find themselves in. I feel out of my depth. The current situation with the zebra safety and residential/business parking is untenable and we appear to be being offered a sticking plaster, not a future proof solution. Thanks again
R.S.D-A

Post by R.S.D-A »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:20

The highway authority for the A6 here is Lancashire County Council, not National Highways, so make sure your email goes to the right place! I know the road in question very well and the 40 limit and design is a hangover from before the M61 opened. It's overdue a massive review along there and I wish you luck in getting one done; further down in Chorley numerous changes to the highway layouts have been made particularly along the ex-dual carriageway section south of the town centre relief road.
Good to know you know the road and understand the issues, small world. I wonder why Whittle is the only village in Chorley Borough not to be afforded the safety of 30/20mph on equivalent roads, is that something you have knowledge on?

We have been given this email address highways@lancashire.gov.uk to email our comments. Is this not (Lancashire) Highways Agency? I want to make sure I'm using the right agency in my references. Thank you
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Highways Agency was the name of the organisation charged with maintaining the strategic highway network in England. It is now called National Highways.

The organisation who looks after the A6, as Brynn says, is Lancashire County Council, a totally separate organisation.

I suggest you never use the words "Highways Agency" in any communication with LCC, it may cause confusion.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 22:02 Highways Agency was the name of the organisation charged with maintaining the strategic highway network in England. It is now called National Highways.

The organisation who looks after the A6, as Brynn says, is Lancashire County Council, a totally separate organisation.

I suggest you never use the words "Highways Agency" in any communication with LCC, it may cause confusion.
Yes, Lancashire County Council are the highway authority, which is distinct from the former Highways Agency who had responsibility for trunk roads.

Given Lancs is a two tier council it gets even more complicated as to who exactly is responsible for which roads. I am normally loath to suggest getting councillors involved as they generally make life worse for everyone on the technical side rather than better but in this scenario they will at least be able to point you to the exact people to discuss your concerns with.

I am also baffled why, given Lancs is generally moving towards 20 limits and finally grasping active travel concepts that this remains a 40 with lots of conflict points like this zebra. It must be on a to do pile with some political or local obstructions stopping progress so a bit of digging may be worthwhile on your part too.
Bryn

WHBM

Post by WHBM »

If it's the crossing at 333 Preston Road, which the postcode link takes one to, it's not 40mph limit, it is 30mph. The highways authority is not National Highways, it is Lancashire County Council. We do suggest accuracy in describing the situation.

LCC do need to refresh the markings. They have already provided a centre refuge, additional high level lighting, narrowing of lanes, high friction approach surfacing, etc, which seems they have already applied many measures.

Asking for a speed camera on the approaches is one I would ask for. It doesn't need an actual camera inside at all times, just the housing of one visible is normally sufficient to reduce any excessive speeds. Parking of vehicles on the pavement inside the zigzag markings is something to ask the police to deal with.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

WHBM wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 09:25 If it's the crossing at 333 Preston Road, which the postcode link takes one to, it's not 40mph limit, it is 30mph. We do suggest accuracy in describing the situation.
Has it changed since the GSV of last September?
Screenshot 2023-03-24 10.17.17.png
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

RichardA35 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:32
WHBM wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 09:25 If it's the crossing at 333 Preston Road, which the postcode link takes one to, it's not 40mph limit, it is 30mph. We do suggest accuracy in describing the situation.
Has it changed since the GSV of last September?Screenshot 2023-03-24 10.17.17.png
Nope, it's still 40 and has been for the best part of six decades.
Bryn

traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 08:28 Given Lancs is a two tier council it gets even more complicated as to who exactly is responsible for which roads. I am normally loath to suggest getting councillors involved as they generally make life worse for everyone on the technical side rather than better but in this scenario they will at least be able to point you to the exact people to discuss your concerns with.
This would be a County Council maintained crossing, rather than a Chorley district. I don't think the districts are responsible for any highways in Lancs these days.

The relevant County Councillor would be the one to approach in this instance, I'd have thought.
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 08:28 I am also baffled why, given Lancs is generally moving towards 20 limits and finally grasping active travel concepts that this remains a 40 with lots of conflict points like this zebra. It must be on a to do pile with some political or local obstructions stopping progress so a bit of digging may be worthwhile on your part too.
There's a few kicking around that are like that, including its counterpart on the southern side of Chorley.

Another is the short stretch of the A58 between Prescot and St Helens that remains 40, which often makes me wonder why, especially given St Helens have been quite heavy on applying lower limits on other roads.

And back in Lancs, the stretch of the A59 through Ormskirk that's still 40 is another one I always find a bit out of place these days, especially given half of it was dropped to 30 not that long ago.

That's not to say there's any particular issues with those, just that I find them a bit out of place now.
Simon