A226 closed due to partial collapse

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Hdeng16

Re: A226 closed due to partial collapse

Post by Hdeng16 »

KeithW wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:33 Running a large water main is not a minor task especially when the original route is no longer available. That said a notice of works on Galley Hill Road has been made regarding repairs to the water main extending to at least 16 June, which is optimistic in my opinion.
https://one.network/?tm=132969162

See also
https://swanscombeandgreenhithetowncoun ... -closures/

Broadband depends on the individual provider but at a minimum some level of service should be possible via 4G/5G wireless.
Should it really? Amazing news. Thanks so much for sharing.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Hdeng16 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 20:45
KeithW wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:33 Running a large water main is not a minor task especially when the original route is no longer available. That said a notice of works on Galley Hill Road has been made regarding repairs to the water main extending to at least 16 June, which is optimistic in my opinion.
https://one.network/?tm=132969162

See also
https://swanscombeandgreenhithetowncoun ... -closures/

Broadband depends on the individual provider but at a minimum some level of service should be possible via 4G/5G wireless.
Should it really? Amazing news. Thanks so much for sharing.
Must I point out that you asked the question I answered ?
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Yeah but you failed to post that pointless photo of the disused quarry again so I was left bitterly disappointed.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Hdeng16 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 22:28 Yeah but you failed to post that pointless photo of the disused quarry again so I was left bitterly disappointed.
Just to keep you happy here is another disused quarry
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

This topic has been locked while the site management team investigate complaints.

UPDATE : Thread is now unlocked, can we please keep posts on the topic of the A226 closure?

--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

TTRO now in force allowing closure to remain for up to 18 months.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Network Rail must be looking at their line to the south there around Swanscombe station and working out if there is any risk there.

The possibility exists to abandon that new bridge and take the A226 over Manor Way past the Channel Tunnel Rail Link tunnel mouth and down Lower Road. I suspect the nature reserve at Botany Marshes would block that route.

It seems to me that the way forward is to take down the crumbling chalk embankment between All Saints Church and the Channel Tunnel Rail link and extend the modern bridge from over the railway. That then opens up the former chalk pit for development, most likely as an industrial area.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Big Nick wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 13:41 Network Rail must be looking at their line to the south there around Swanscombe station and working out if there is any risk there.

The possibility exists to abandon that new bridge and take the A226 over Manor Way past the Channel Tunnel Rail Link tunnel mouth and down Lower Road. I suspect the nature reserve at Botany Marshes would block that route.

It seems to me that the way forward is to take down the crumbling chalk embankment between All Saints Church and the Channel Tunnel Rail link and extend the modern bridge from over the railway. That then opens up the former chalk pit for development, most likely as an industrial area.
The current Railway Station has been at Swanscombe since 1930 so I would expect any problems to have shown up by now.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

KeithW wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 14:59
Big Nick wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 13:41Network Rail must be looking at their line to the south there around Swanscombe station and working out if there is any risk there.
The current Railway Station has been at Swanscombe since 1930 so I would expect any problems to have shown up by now.
Indeed, but the line immediately east of Swanscombe station has had the chalk to either side quarried away, leaving it on a long thin raised strip of land much like the A226. It has the advantage of being wider than the one supporting the road, and is unlikely to have utilities inside it, but I expect they are still keeping a close eye on it in light of this news.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 15:35
Indeed, but the line immediately east of Swanscombe station has had the chalk to either side quarried away, leaving it on a long thin raised strip of land much like the A226. It has the advantage of being wider than the one supporting the road, and is unlikely to have utilities inside it, but I expect they are still keeping a close eye on it in light of this news.
I would expect that Network Rail would be doing that anyway, I cant see them tolerating utilities under the track apart from signal cables perhaps, they have Network Measurement trains that can detect even minor track misalignments.
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-t ... train-nmt/
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

KeithW wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 19:30
Chris5156 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 15:35
I would expect that Network Rail would be doing that anyway, I cant see them tolerating utilities under the track apart from signal cables perhaps, they have Network Measurement trains that can detect even minor track misalignments.
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-t ... train-nmt/
Especially after an embankment collapsed at Hook which affected the Basingstoke-Waterloo line.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I have just been checking out the latest on this and the earliest date reopening will be possible is now given as the end of May 2024

https://www.theargus.co.uk/li/traffic.detail.16736592/
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/li/traffic_ ... .16736592/
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

This was a feature on BBC south east today local news this evening. I spotted their cameras at the end of Swanscombe High Street earlier today interviewing people. One common complaint is that they have no idea what's happening regards reinstating access/reconstructing and reopening the road. And they only reported that the detours will be reviewed and made easier to understand by HGV drivers. Also that recent geotechnical surveys had found the quarry wall is highly unstable and no date is given for the remedial works. Lots of focus on businesses losing trade and cars being damaged by vehicles too big to navigate the narrow streets of swanscombe.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

I passed through the area today and noticed that the previous temporary signage at the western end of the Galley Hill Road closure at Swanscombe High Street, has been made permanent with poles erected and at the a2260, red and white sand filled plastic barriers have been put in creating a physical width restriction and limiting it to 7.5 tonnes, yet enabling bus movements. Not been to the Ebbsfleet end yet but I imagine the same will happen there. This isn't going to be open for a long time.
Berk

Post by Berk »

RichardA35 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 04:53 TTRO now in force allowing closure to remain for up to 18 months.
Is there a programme of works in place?? Or are reports awaited??

Apparently not…
Kent Online wrote:According to its public information page, KCC says it is investigating the cause and working to recover the situation as quickly as possible while seeking expert evidence in relation to the stabilisation of the area of the collapse, and exploring options for reinstating the road.

It later states: “At this stage we cannot offer any further information on the cause of the landslide, how it will be remedied or how long the road will be closed.”

Kent County Council declined to comment.
Darren

Post by Darren »

8 months on and there's been no progress whatsoever on fixing the A226. KentOnline has an article about a diner which has been affected by a lack of trade due to the closure:

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/ ... se-297435/

...and it includes the following pearl of wisdom:

At a residents meeting last month, a representative from Kent County Council (KCC) told a packed Swanscombe Heritage Hall there was still no date as to when the road would be fixed and reopened.
KCC Highways representative Toby Howe confirmed the reason for the delay.
“The chalk spine is owned by others and until the owner can carry out repairs we cannot do anything with the road,” he said.

KCC admitted it had not got as far as considering alternative options if the cliff road could not be fixed.
A spokesman for KCC was asked for an update on the situation but declined to comment.