Bat lights

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mark Hewitt

Bat lights

Post by Mark Hewitt »

https://youtu.be/O_URhEzaqwI

These seem like a good idea, our impact on wildlife is already substantial so any mitigation can only be a good thing?!
toxictots

Re: Bat lights

Post by toxictots »

I think they look great, they look like they have a good scatter, unlike the usual white LEDs that shine straight down to whatever is below them and nowhere else.
They are less harsh on your eyes and they are great for the environment. Seems like a good idea all round to me.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

toxictots wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 22:20 I think they look great, they look like they have a good scatter, unlike the usual white LEDs that shine straight down to whatever is below them and nowhere else.
This exactly is my main beef with LEDs on tall lampposts. The light doesn't illuminate the sides of some things well. There's reduced spill from one lamppost's range into the next's, meaning that things between the observer and the lamppost are effectively in their own shadow.
toxictots

Post by toxictots »

nowster wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 23:25
toxictots wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 22:20 I think they look great, they look like they have a good scatter, unlike the usual white LEDs that shine straight down to whatever is below them and nowhere else.
This exactly is my main beef with LEDs on tall lampposts. The light doesn't illuminate the sides of some things well. There's reduced spill from one lamppost's range into the next's, meaning that things between the observer and the lamppost are effectively in their own shadow.
Yes you're exactly right.
Behind my partner's old house is a system of alleyways. At one point is a junction connecting several other alleys. A single orange sodium light used to illuminate the entire area as it had good reach and scatter. Unfortunately they replaced it with an LED lamp recently. The nobody goes down there after dark anymore; they might as well have hung a laser pen and pointed it to the ground.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

toxictots wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 16:03
nowster wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 23:25
Yes you're exactly right.
Behind my partner's old house is a system of alleyways. At one point is a junction connecting several other alleys. A single orange sodium light used to illuminate the entire area as it had good reach and scatter. Unfortunately they replaced it with an LED lamp recently. The nobody goes down there after dark anymore; they might as well have hung a laser pen and pointed it to the ground.
If LEDs give a pencil-beam rather than a wide scatter, it might be worthwhile contacting the Council and asking them to add some more LED-lamps to the lamp-pole - one for each allryway. From what you have said, you would then light up the alleyways without lighting up the adjacent gardens.