Matrix board not displaying variable speed limit

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

qwertyK

Matrix board not displaying variable speed limit

Post by qwertyK »

Today on the M11 they have variable speed limit boards, very old ones I think they're from the 70s and 80s when the road first opened.
Showed 50 just near the turn off for the A11 heading north, so I slow down accordingly.
Next board I pass there's no speed limit shown on it, so I assume it's back to NSL as the road was clear, so I get up to 70-73mph.
Next board I pass just shows "End"
So it worries me that I was going 20mph over the tempoary speed limit but i didn't know that as nothing was shown on the next board. Other drivers too were doing the NSL.
What would your rights be here?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: Matrix board not displaying variable speed limit

Post by Bryn666 »

qwertyK wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 15:50 Today on the M11 they have variable speed limit boards, very old ones I think they're from the 70s and 80s when the road first opened.
Showed 50 just near the turn off for the A11 heading north, so I slow down accordingly.
Next board I pass there's no speed limit shown on it, so I assume it's back to NSL as the road was clear, so I get up to 70-73mph.
So it worries me that I was going 20mph over the tempoary speed limit but i didn't know that as nothing was shown on the next board. Other drivers too were doing the NSL.
These signals are advisory as per the descriptions given in the Highway Code.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

If it isn’t in a red ring, it isn’t enforceable.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Don't take this the wrong way, but what on earth is in the theory test these days if folk are regularly asking basic questions about signage etc?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

Steven wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 16:24 Don't take this the wrong way, but what on earth is in the theory test these days if folk are regularly asking basic questions about signage etc?
To be honest I'm so used to smart motorways that I just assumed any speed limit shown lit up on another motorway is legal and the maximum not advisory.
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

Does the M11 actually ever have variable speed limits or is it only advisory? Is it only smart motorways that have variable speed limits
I can't remember the speed limit flashing it was just in organge, there was also one on the bigger matrix boards the speed limit but in an orange circle.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

qwertyK wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 19:00 Does the M11 actually ever have variable speed limits or is it only advisory? Is it only smart motorways that have variable speed limits
I can't remember the speed limit flashing it was just in organge, there was also one on the bigger matrix boards the speed limit but in an orange circle.
No, the M11 doesn’t have any variable speed limits. The limit wouldn’t be flashing, nor should it ever appear with an orange circle. Are you sure that’s what you saw?
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 20:29
qwertyK wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 19:00 Does the M11 actually ever have variable speed limits or is it only advisory? Is it only smart motorways that have variable speed limits
No, the M11 doesn’t have any variable speed limits. The limit wouldn’t be flashing, nor should it ever appear with an orange circle. Are you sure that’s what you saw?
Yes, so it must be an advisory then?

It was the matrix board just before the A11 I first saw the 50. The matrix board after that was blank, one after that just said End.

On the way coming home, similar situation, except this time the limit was shown on a bigger matrix board like one of these; sixty in an orange circle
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... 250HYj0X1M

This but the speed in the orange circle

I just can't remember if the first matrix board I'm talking about if the speed was flashing or if it was static. But given the M11 doesn't have variable limits only advisories then I suppose it doesn't matter. For whatever reason the matrix board after that didn't say anything so I assumed it was back to NSL. There was no traffic on that side of the carriageway, just on the other, so not really sure why it was there in the first place. Just worried me as if I thought it was mandatory like a variable and 70 in a 50 is 4-6 points
DB617

Post by DB617 »

qwertyK wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 18:30
Steven wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 16:24 Don't take this the wrong way, but what on earth is in the theory test these days if folk are regularly asking basic questions about signage etc?
To be honest I'm so used to smart motorways that I just assumed any speed limit shown lit up on another motorway is legal and the maximum not advisory.
You're far from the only one. Advisory speed limits (that are almost always left on by control centres on empty motorways) are an automatic 'prepare to overtake' for me as people panic.
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

So can the matrix boards you see on central reservations ever show mandatory speed limits or only ever advisories ?

In all honesty I probably would have continued at 50 but the road was clear and I was **** people off even in lane 1 of 2
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

A speed limit will always be in a red circle, regardless of whether it's on a fixed metal sign or a variable message sign (whether over an individual lane or beside the carriageway).

If the circle isn't red (or something close to red) it's not an enforceable limit. For example, black circles on some zone signs or green circles on Irish motorway slip roads. In that case the limit is advisory, just like a Max Speed plate under a bend sign. You aren't committing an offence by passing it at a higher speed, but if something adverse happens the fact you exceeded the advisory limit may count against you.

An MS1 matrix signal (excuse the tautology) can display various legends, which include advisory speed limits. They can be in the central reservation on rural motorways (at intervals of two miles) or over individual lanes on gantries in busier sections.

All of this is in the Highway Code: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... raffic.pdf
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

qwertyK wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 22:16 So can the matrix boards you see on central reservations ever show mandatory speed limits or only ever advisories ?
MS1s have no facility for displaying a red ring.
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

Thank you
DB617

Post by DB617 »

qwertyK wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 22:16 So can the matrix boards you see on central reservations ever show mandatory speed limits or only ever advisories ?

In all honesty I probably would have continued at 50 but the road was clear and I was **** people off even in lane 1 of 2
At this time (and probably for many many years to come) only advisories, except if a red X is displayed. Those are always compulsory.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

Note that while the M11 has only advisory speed limits, the A14 that follows does have enforceable speed limits which are enforced by regular HADECS cameras.

I would say compliance with advisory signals is about 25%. This can create an aspect of danger as highway engineers have been aware of for some time, the risk of a collision between people travelling at vastly differing speeds. It surprises me that they continue to be used given the poor compliance.
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

tom66 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 23:19 Note that while the M11 has only advisory speed limits, the A14 that follows does have enforceable speed limits which are enforced by regular HADECS cameras.

I would say compliance with advisory signals is about 25%. This can create an aspect of danger as highway engineers have been aware of for some time, the risk of a collision between people travelling at vastly differing speeds. It surprises me that they continue to be used given the poor compliance.
Yes I'm aware of the A14, though last time I travelled on it every gantry had a sign saying "SPEED CAMERA NOT IN USE" which seems to defeat the point of having a speed camera there as a detterent. Probably the most pointless sign ever.
Ishtaria1980

Post by Ishtaria1980 »

qwertyK wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 23:27
tom66 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 23:19 Note that while the M11 has only advisory speed limits, the A14 that follows does have enforceable speed limits which are enforced by regular HADECS cameras.

Yes I'm aware of the A14, though last time I travelled on it every gantry had a sign saying "SPEED CAMERA NOT IN USE" which seems to defeat the point of having a speed camera there as a detterent. Probably the most pointless sign ever.
Those not in use signs were removed a few weeks ago and I have seen those camera go off so they're definitely in use now on that stretch of A14 that should be the A14(M) but isn't the A14(M).

But yeah to reiterate, even on a modern display showing something like 60 Queue Caution, unless it is in a red ring it is not a legal change to the speed limit. Another motorway with new electronic signage but not variable speed limits is the M42 around Tamworth. People often slow down for those despite no red ring being displayed. It's only when you get to junction 9 (A446) does it become variable speed limit. There will usually be a sign telling you you're entering or leaving a variable speed limit zone.

Also what on earth was going on with the M11 yesterday? Seemed like there were half a dozen truck that had had blow outs 🤔
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

No idea but I hit the traffic coming southbound wasn't a continuous queue just pockets around the Essex-Cambs border at the A11, Stansted/A120 and the m25 . Mind you there's always traffic at the m25 junction .poorly designed junction IMO to have two lanes going towards London but just one for the m25.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

qwertyK wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 23:27 Yes I'm aware of the A14, though last time I travelled on it every gantry had a sign saying "SPEED CAMERA NOT IN USE" which seems to defeat the point of having a speed camera there as a detterent. Probably the most pointless sign ever.
Not quite as pointless as the "sign not in use" sign.

Does that mean the sign saying the sign not in use is not in use (and therefore the sign is in use)... or does it mean that one of the many signs on the gantry are not in use? It would be better to say "Gantry signs not operating" or something along those lines.

I can confirm the speed cameras are definitely in operation now - at least flashing people - and there are no "speed camera not in use" signs I can see.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

qwertyK wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 15:50 Today on the M11 they have variable speed limit boards, very old ones I think they're from the 70s and 80s when the road first opened.
Set me thinking. If we were to change to km/h, which variable speed limit boards could easily be changed to show 100 km/h and which ones could not?