Height Restrictions - Warning vs Prohibited

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Vierwielen

Re: Height Restrictions - Warning vs Prohibited

Post by Vierwielen »

jabbaboy wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 22:41 Not to mention stuff like this here which I assume is a botch in itself since there's absolutely nowhere for anyone over that height to go beyond that sign.
How do you kow? Just because there are no obvious side roads, does not mean that road maintenance vehicles cannot use the road as far as the bridge.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Regardless of type of bridge, the practical difference between circles and triangles is that there exists a TRO for every red circle, and I would be surprised if there did not exist plenty of beam bridges in GB with triangles because a TRO has not been made.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Vierwielen wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:30
jabbaboy wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 22:41 Not to mention stuff like this here which I assume is a botch in itself since there's absolutely nowhere for anyone over that height to go beyond that sign.
How do you kow? Just because there are no obvious side roads, does not mean that road maintenance vehicles cannot use the road as far as the bridge.
Botched for a different reason. The bridge has round signs, so it should have been a warning of mandatory restriction ahead on a blue background.
Berk

Post by Berk »

AndyB wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:38Regardless of type of bridge, the practical difference between circles and triangles is that there exists a TRO for every red circle, and I would be surprised if there did not exist plenty of beam bridges in GB with triangles because a TRO has not been made.
What’s the situation like in Ireland/Northern Ireland??
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

We might have a bridge somewhere with a red circle prohibition, but we don’t seem to have more than one or two if any and we should, especially the headline bridge strike beam bridges such as at Lisburn Railway Station.

It’s a mixture down south.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I’m aware of the height restriction diamonds in the south. But what would be the equivalent of a red circle??
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Red circle with a strike through.

At one time, all signs giving orders in Ireland had red rings, and to this day roadside parking and taxi ranks still do, prohibitions being marked by strike throughs, always upper quadrant, even on NRT. Practicalities (in other words they were being fleeced by sign makers, never mind the confusion caused by turn left being in a red ring) mean that they have switched to British signs for directions and positive vehicle restrictions such as cycle tracks.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Yes, that’s it. The RUS016 sign is pretty much like the British one. Would the full restriction not have the black triangles as well??
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

Vierwielen wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:30
Surely you'd need a road closure for that unless you plan for it to come back the wrong way down a dual carriageway? There's no way to get to the other carriageway so you'd effectively be trapped.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

AndyB wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:38 Regardless of type of bridge, the practical difference between circles and triangles is that there exists a TRO for every red circle, and I would be surprised if there did not exist plenty of beam bridges in GB with triangles because a TRO has not been made.
We haven't needed TROs in GB for height prohibitions since at least 2002 - not sure what the situation in NI is.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
DanT97

Post by DanT97 »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:10
AndyB wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:38 Regardless of type of bridge, the practical difference between circles and triangles is that there exists a TRO for every red circle, and I would be surprised if there did not exist plenty of beam bridges in GB with triangles because a TRO has not been made.
We haven't needed TROs in GB for height prohibitions since at least 2002 - not sure what the situation in NI is.
Well, given my knowledge of Northern Ireland, I’d assume that they’d have more important things on their plate to worry about than road signs, such as, failing to pick a neutral flag to fly outside local authority buildings, arguing about whether to join the Republic or not, and of course taking forever to pick a new First Minister.
T97 - Glencoe to Connell

The artist formerly known as Penguin2014
Berk

Post by Berk »

DanT97 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:24
Well, given my knowledge of Northern Ireland, I’d assume that they’d have more important things on their plate to worry about than road signs, such as, failing to pick a neutral flag to fly outside local authority buildings, arguing about whether to join the Republic or not, and of course taking forever to pick a new First Minister.
<to which I imagine most Ulster people are like “whatever”… :roll:> :wink:
DanT97

Post by DanT97 »

Berk wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:46
DanT97 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:24
<to which I imagine most Ulster people are like “whatever”… :roll:> :wink:
Ulster is an unusual place it seems. It was alright when I was there back in 2012 on holiday, but their political situation is very strange and confusing, and I’m glad I don’t live there, as I would struggle to understand the local and national news there.
T97 - Glencoe to Connell

Berk

Post by Berk »

I’d imagine you (anyone)’d have to watch your tongue most of the time.
DanT97

Post by DanT97 »

Berk wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 22:04 I’d imagine you (anyone)’d have to watch your tongue most of the time.
Exactly
T97 - Glencoe to Connell

nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

DanT97 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:55 Ulster is an unusual place it seems.
Especially when three counties of Ulster are not in Northern Ireland (Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal and Co. Monaghan). Nomenclature can be a minefield.

Ireland (The South) has used a curious mix of New World diamonds and first draft Old World Geneva Convention signage. A great example, unique to the RoI, was an upward pointing arrow in a red ring with diagonal for No Entry. Many have now been replaced with the more usual white bar in red circle. When AndyB says "British signs" he means the signage recommendations of current Geneva Convention standards, as interpreted by UK&NI design manuals.

I love the quirkiness of the Irish signs and, after ten days of getting used to them, it came almost as a shock when crossing the border and going back to the more formal UK&NI designs.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

nowster wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:58
DanT97 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 21:55 Ulster is an unusual place it seems.
Especially when three counties of Ulster are not in Northern Ireland (Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal and Co. Monaghan). Nomenclature can be a minefield.

Ireland (The South) has used a curious mix of New World diamonds and first draft Old World Geneva Convention signage. A great example, unique to the RoI, was an upward pointing arrow in a red ring with diagonal for No Entry. Many have now been replaced with the more usual white bar in red circle. When AndyB says "British signs" he means the signage recommendations of current Geneva Convention standards, as interpreted by UK&NI design manuals.

I love the quirkiness of the Irish signs and, after ten days of getting used to them, it came almost as a shock when crossing the border and going back to the more formal UK&NI designs.
https://showmeasign.online/2017/10/16/s ... m-ireland/
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck