Corridors of Commerce, Minnesota (including costs of grade separation)

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

Corridors of Commerce, Minnesota (including costs of grade separation)

Post by jackal »

This program interestingly gives costs for several grade separation schemes:
District/Highway/General location/Project type/Submitter/Corridors of Commerce funding requested

Metro 13 TH 13 Corridor from Quentin Avenue in Savage to Nicollet Avenue in Burnsville Grade Separation Scott County $100,000,000

Metro 65 TH 65 between 103rd Avenue NE and 117th Avenue NE in the City of Blaine. Grade Separation City of Blaine $59,930,000

Metro 36 & 120 The junction of TH 36 and TH 120 (Century Avenue). Grade Separation Washington County Public Works $43,000,000

6 14 Intersection of Trunk Highway 14 and County State Aid Highway 44 in Olmsted County Grade Separation Olmsted County $41,200,000

3 169 US 169/CSAH 4 Rural Safety and Mobility Interchange Project, Zimmerman, MN Grade Separation City of Zimmerman $37,400,000

3 210 & 371 Junction of Trunk Highway 210 and Trunk Highway 371 in Baxter, Crow Wing County, MN Grade Separation Crow Wing County $33,000,000

8 23 Intersection of TH23 and TH9 at New London, MN. Grade Separation Kandiyohi County $26,000,000

3 10 & 169 TH 10/169 in southeast Elk River between TH 101 and Anoka County Grade Separation City of Elk River $89,000,000

3 10 US Highway 10 and Minnesota Trunk Highway 25 Grade Separation City of Becker $45,403,000

3 15 & 23 MN-23 concurrent with MN-15 in St. Cloud Grade Separation Saint Cloud Area Planning Organization $36,500,000

3 10 TH 10 and CSAH 11 Interchange near Big Lake/Becker Grade Separation Sherburne County $30,600,000

Metro 212 US Highway 212 and County State Aid Highway 51 Intersection in Benton Township, Carver County Grade Separation Southwest Corridor Transportation Coalition $6,000,000
The three highest priced items seem to be for multiple GSJs, while the last item is so cheap as to be an outlier. But a regular GSJ costs $25m-$45m, or £20m-£35m.

https://www.dot.state.mn.us/corridorsof ... index.html
WHBM

Re: Corridors of Commerce, Minnesota (including costs of grade separation)

Post by WHBM »

I know. Stick a 0 on the end for UK prices.

Are they just construction costs ? Do they include land purchase ? What is the typical land purchase price there ?

Do they include design costs ? However many times was it designed and redesigned by multiple consultants before the go-ahead ?
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

The last one appears to be here, if anyone's curious. Not entirely sure what the plan is, but I suppose it wouldn't be too impossible to build an overpass for US 212 and a small connecting road on the SE corner between US 212 and CR 51.

EDIT: I suppose, of course, it could also be something similar to what was done further west, though IDK if that would count as a "grade separation".
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
jackal

Post by jackal »

freebrickproductions wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 22:34 The last one appears to be here, if anyone's curious. Not entirely sure what the plan is, but I suppose it wouldn't be too impossible to build an overpass for US 212 and a small connecting road on the SE corner between US 212 and CR 51.

EDIT: I suppose, of course, it could also be something similar to what was done further west, though IDK if that would count as a "grade separation".
The cheapest possible GSJ would LILO the existing junction and build a bridge to connect the two sides of the minor road, like this: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.42768 ... a=!3m1!1e3

From the other prices it seems Minnesota can do about 2.5 times as much as the UK for the same price. So at current exchange rates their $6m for the junction is like £12m (6×2.5x0.79).

Could we build that for £12m? I'd say probably not though it's not completely impossible.

But yeah, the other possibility is that they just meant to say intersection...
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

jackal wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 09:52
freebrickproductions wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 22:34 The last one appears to be here, if anyone's curious. Not entirely sure what the plan is, but I suppose it wouldn't be too impossible to build an overpass for US 212 and a small connecting road on the SE corner between US 212 and CR 51.

The cheapest possible GSJ would LILO the existing junction and build a bridge to connect the two sides of the minor road, like this: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.42768 ... a=!3m1!1e3

From the other prices it seems Minnesota can do about 2.5 times as much as the UK for the same price. So at current exchange rates their $6m for the junction is like £12m (6×2.5x0.79).

Could we build that for £12m? I'd say probably not though it's not completely impossible.

But yeah, the other possibility is that they just meant to say intersection...
Well, RIRO, but yea. I know ALDOT basically recently did that over in Decatur, as I mentioned in the US roundabout thread.

I suppose the main issue with that would be that they'd need to buy-up that market just north of the intersection to build the bridge (assuming they don't want to tear-down the church there), though such wouldn't be impossible...

My initial idea was honestly something more of along the lines of this over in Florence, AL. Or maybe something similar to this over in Gadsden.
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

WHBM wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 14:33 I know. Stick a 0 on the end for UK prices.

Are they just construction costs ? Do they include land purchase ? What is the typical land purchase price there ?

Do they include design costs ? However many times was it designed and redesigned by multiple consultants before the go-ahead ?
...or public inquiry costs?