Can highways maintenance vehicles use blue lights?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Can highways maintenance vehicles use blue lights?

Post by Chris Bertram »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 09:15
Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 09:02 Chief Inspector Morse's car in the TV series was definitely his own (he was Thames Valley CID), though I don't ever remember him using a blue light on it.
Given the backstory of that Jag I imagine anyone trying to modify it would've been thumped...
It did seem to be fitted with police radio/cellphone capablity, or whatever was standard for the time.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Nicola_Jayne

Post by Nicola_Jayne »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:37
Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 09:02 Chief Inspector Morse's car in the TV series was definitely his own (he was Thames Valley CID), though I don't ever remember him using a blue light on it.
Given the backstory of that Jag I imagine anyone trying to modify it would've been thumped...
It did seem to be fitted with police radio/cellphone capablity, or whatever was standard for the time.
fitting a 2 way radio to a car is fairly trivial (simpler than wiring a towbar light socket as you just need one or both of a permanent live and a switched live) and ironically easier on a 1960s to 1990s car than it is on modern vehicles ... there were at one time even docking stations for handhelds which provided charging / vehicle power and in some cases the option to use a vehicle antenna instead of the handsets
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Magnetic lights of course are no longer needed as any unmarked vehicle requiring blues and twos simply has them in the light clusters.

There’s something at the back of my mind that when this was all starting to happen and light bars became restricted to liveried cars, the placement of sirens behind radiator grilles was the bright idea of an ordinary officer in PSNI. Why no senior officer anywhere in the UK paid to think of such a solution actually did so is another question.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:37
Radio telephones were used before the advent of "cell phones" or mobiles as we know them - my IT department had to carry the cost of radio telephones in the directors cars back in the mid-80s - they cost £2,500 each then compared to their cars costing £10,000.
Lifelong motorhead
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

AndyB wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 22:44 Magnetic lights of course are no longer needed as any unmarked vehicle requiring blues and twos simply has them in the light clusters.

There’s something at the back of my mind that when this was all starting to happen and light bars became restricted to liveried cars, the placement of sirens behind radiator grilles was the bright idea of an ordinary officer in PSNI. Why no senior officer anywhere in the UK paid to think of such a solution actually did so is another question.
I imagine that it was beneficial for PSNI to make their unmarked cars as conspicuous as possible, hiding lights and sirens. I remember even the 90s things like unmarked Sierras they wouldn't have blue lights but would flash their full beams, a bit like you'd see in episodes of the Sweeney.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

wallmeerkat wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08
AndyB wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 22:44 Magnetic lights of course are no longer needed as any unmarked vehicle requiring blues and twos simply has them in the light clusters.

I imagine that it was beneficial for PSNI to make their unmarked cars as conspicuous as possible, hiding lights and sirens. I remember even the 90s things like unmarked Sierras they wouldn't have blue lights but would flash their full beams, a bit like you'd see in episodes of the Sweeney.
Like many cars, the Sierra, other than the more basic early variants, doesn't have a grille.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

trickstat wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:30
wallmeerkat wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08

Like many cars, the Sierra, other than the more basic early variants, doesn't have a grille.
True the aero era, not sure if grilled cars like the mk2 Cavalier had an armoured variant. I remember my dad picking up a cheap mk2 Astra and looking to fit spotlights, but it had the full height crate grille :D