"Temporary obstruction delay" sign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

qwertyK

"Temporary obstruction delay" sign

Post by qwertyK »

Seen a few of these near me.

For some reason I think its to do with roadworks if the construction companies can't be bothered to get a permit to close the road they go the low effort route and put these up. I thought they could only tempoarily "obstruct" a road for ten minutes and anything longer is considered a closure?
Attachments
IMG20230901193323.jpg
Glen
Social Media Admin

Re: "Temporary obstruction delay" sign

Post by Glen »

I can't remember if it's 10 or 15 minutes that's permitted, but traffic can be held on stop/go boards or TTLs without need a road closure order.
It's quite common for work such as tree felling or work on a rock slope.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Traffic Signs Manual, Chapter 8, Part 1:

D5.13.3 It is recommended that queues in excess of 15 vehicles should be avoided because longer queues will take longer to disperse and for the traffic flow to return to normal. If a queue in excess of 20 vehicles at either end is likely or an all-red period in excess of 10 minutes is required, permission for an extended all-red period should be sought from the Highway Authority.

So up to 10 minutes without permission. I've got £50 that says when a "15 minute" sign is used the user hasn't sought permission from the Highway Authority.

This all started with a Traffic Advisory leaflet, (TAL 01/14), where "15 minutes" was shown on a couple of signs. So naturally everyone just went with that, rather than reading Chapter 8.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -signs.pdf
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

Conekicker wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:52 Traffic Signs Manual, Chapter 8, Part 1:

D5.13.3 It is recommended that queues in excess of 15 vehicles should be avoided because longer queues will take longer to disperse and for the traffic flow to return to normal. If a queue in excess of 20 vehicles at either end is likely or an all-red period in excess of 10 minutes is required, permission for an extended all-red period should be sought from the Highway Authority.

So up to 10 minutes without permission. I've got £50 that says when a "15 minute" sign is used the user hasn't sought permission from the Highway Authority.

This all started with a Traffic Advisory leaflet, (TAL 01/14), where "15 minutes" was shown on a couple of signs. So naturally everyone just went with that, rather than reading Chapter 8.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -signs.pdf
I thought so.
A few months back in the same area as this (different road), there was a massive queue at a set of temporary lights i was in. Couldn't see any cars in the opposite direction. We must have been waiting about eight minutes. There was a vehicle in the road. Everyone ended up jumping the queue and just driving on the opposite side of the road, using the pavement, i refrained from doing so. I asked the road workers what on earth was going on. they said the road had to be blocked for 15 minutes because of a truck. there was no sign no nothing. i told them that if it had to be blocked for that long why not just close the road in its entirety especially as there was a road running parallel which could have ben used as a diversion.