Tiverton Southern Relief Road original road number

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Ross Spur

Tiverton Southern Relief Road original road number

Post by Ross Spur »

Great Western Road opened in May 1994. Prior to becoming part of A396 it was a B road. I'm looking for its number if anyone has the OS 1:50000 sheet (181 Minehead & Brendon Hills) around that time.

Also, did that number continue along Heathcote Way?
Ian
SouthWest Philip

Re: Tiverton Southern Relief Road original road number

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Ross Spur wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 09:35 Great Western Road opened in May 1994. Prior to becoming part of A396 it was a B road. I'm looking for its number if anyone has the OS 1:50000 sheet (181 Minehead & Brendon Hills) around that time.

Also, did that number continue along Heathcote Way?
It was an isolated section of the B3391. At one point, the B3391 also briefly formed a continuous route from Tiverton to Burlescombe via Willand, Uffculme and Culmstock. The diversion to Hemyock and creation of the B3440 came later.
rileyrob

Re: Tiverton Southern Relief Road original road number

Post by rileyrob »

Yes, the B3391 wiki page does attempt to explain the confused history of the route, but could probably do with some TLC to make it clearer. I think I'll have the map at home, I'm pretty sure it was myself that originally identified the number in Tiverton anyway.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: B3391 :

The B3391 is a rural route into Devon's Culm Valley.

The road starts on the A38 east of Burlescombe and heads east, with the Blackdown Hills clearly visible ahead. It soon goes over the M5 before continuing across the fields, remaining largely flat, although Culmstock Beacon can be seen to the left. Presently the road descends into Milmoor, where it bears sharply right to follow a narrow road between

... Read More