M48 and A40 (Wales) 'emergency' speed limit reductions

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DB617

Re: M48 and A40 (Wales) 'emergency' speed limit reductions

Post by DB617 »

Same could be said for 'maintenance of drainage'. I could reel off 10+ serious railway incidents caused by drainage failure. Mostly because one of my Professors (probably quite deliberately, having done the assignment and understood the gravity of the situation) tasked us with writing a report on railway incidents involving water. There are many. Anyone who removes drainage works from maintenance programs is exposing their lack of knowledge or, alternatively, disregard for safety.
jnty

Post by jnty »

Helvellyn wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:47 General maintenance of some things isn't really safety critical even if it can become so if not done for far too long. I'd include dealing with vegetation before it starts taking hold in cracks in that category.
Well that's sort of the point, isn't it. If maintenance isn't safety critical unless it's not done...then it's surely safety critical?
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

FWIW, here is a press report from a month before this thread was begun: https://www.abergavennychronicle.com/ne ... mit-641702
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

jnty wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 19:19
Helvellyn wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:47 General maintenance of some things isn't really safety critical even if it can become so if not done for far too long. I'd include dealing with vegetation before it starts taking hold in cracks in that category.
Well that's sort of the point, isn't it. If maintenance isn't safety critical unless it's not done...then it's surely safety critical?
I think it's the difference between things that aren't in themselves but if ignored for too long will lead to things that are, and matters that you absolutely have to keep on top of all the time, where any degredation can be an immediate danger.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

AAndy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 18:51 FWIW, here is a press report from a month before this thread was begun: https://www.abergavennychronicle.com/ne ... mit-641702
He could have had a very legitimate argument on his hands if he didn't revert to the usual Welsh Conservative 'war on motorists' nonsense. Perhaps he should have a chat with his boss about the war on the maintenance budget.