Second uk SPUI in Brum?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DB124

Second uk SPUI in Brum?

Post by DB124 »

I was looking at the remodelled A34 at Perry Barr in Birmingham on Google Maps satellite view and the A34/A4040 junction looks suspiciously like a SPUI, with the right-turns passing each other on the wrong side. gsv

In Street View it appears as though the lights aren't phased as a SPUI should be, so perhaps it shouldn't really count. I'm guessing the A34 offslips each have their own phases so that buses can go straight on through the junction.
Even still, should this count as a second SPUI after Belfast's? (or get half marks at least)

And does anyone know any other secret not-quite-SPUIs elsewhere that would count were it not for signal phasing or something similar?
traffic-light-man

Re: Second uk SPUI in Brum?

Post by traffic-light-man »

I think we discussed in another thread that the A5080/A5058 junction (west of the M62 western terminus) in Liverpool is a SPUI, albeit with a nice flyover support right in the middle.
Simon
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

DB124 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 17:41I was looking at the remodelled A34 at Perry Barr in Birmingham on Google Maps satellite view and the A34/A4040 junction looks suspiciously like a SPUI, with the right-turns passing each other on the wrong side. gsv

In Street View it appears as though the lights aren't phased as a SPUI should be, so perhaps it shouldn't really count. I'm guessing the A34 offslips each have their own phases so that buses can go straight on through the junction.
Even still, should this count as a second SPUI after Belfast's? (or get half marks at least)
I think to be a SPUI it needs both sets of right turns to go simultaneously - one of the key advantages is that both off-slips get green time at the same time, which optimises the overall signal cycle. If the off-slips in Birmingham are going separately, it's missing the key characteristic of a SPUI - though admittedly the right turns in to the on-slips are arranged in SPUI fashion.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Yeah, we'd need to see a signal staging plan but the road markings seem to just imply unhooked right turns rather than a true SPUI - the off slips don't have the trademark curvature you'd associate with one.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

They surely aren't allowing right turners to pass each other without even white lines for separation. Hence not an spui.

But it does raise the question of whether they could make it one with a bit of remarking and rephasing.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

The Birmingham example almost reminds me of a Westlink style junction (I mean sliproads to an urban road above an urban dual carraigeway).

Though I'd noticed on the road some tyre marks where U turns were performed. I was wondering how these might affect pedestrian sequences.
The Westlink one doesn't really facilitate pedestrian crossings other than the sliproads sequence https://www.google.com/maps/@54.6000604 ... ?entry=ttu
Last edited by wallmeerkat on Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

This one is at - https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Pe ... ?entry=ttu
It's not a full or classic SPUI, but I think it scrapes in as a 'semi-SPUI'. That's a name I've used for just a few SPUI's in AU that allow unhooked flow-past for one set of right turns, but not for the other. If the right turns here into the on-ramps aren't simultaneous, that's strange: they do avoid each other, so they could go simultaneously. Or are you just saying that the off-ramps' right turns don't go simultaneously (as is clear from the layout)?

It is rather cramped, but re-lining could, just about, perhaps, enable full SPUI operation. Alternatively, if those beige-coloured platforms are of sufficient strength, conversion to a proper SPUI (albeit a small one) would be possible. Worthwhile? Only maybe. Depends on many detailed local aspects.

It should be noted that the most efficient way of operating a SPUI allows for turning into on-ramps to be partially simultaneous and partially independent, depending on traffic. This regime uses four stages instead of three. Explanation here -
viewtopic.php?p=1269701#p1269701
Last edited by Peter Freeman on Mon Dec 04, 2023 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

wallmeerkat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:25The Birmingham example almost reminds me of a Westlink style junction (I mean sliproads to an urban road above an urban dual carraigeway).

Though I'd noticed on the road some tyre marks where U turns were performed. I was wondering how these might affect pedestrian sequences.
The Westlink one doesn't really facilitate pedestrian crossings other than the sliproads sequence https://www.google.com/maps/@54.6000604 ... ?entry=ttu
That junction is a SPUI, and one of the only ones in the UK.