Motorway cycle paths speed limits

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

solocle

Motorway cycle paths speed limits

Post by solocle »

After an inquiry to National Highways, the speed limits signed on the two such paths locally don't actually apply to cyclists.
What jumps out is that the Avonmouth Bridge path above is regulated under Section 84, which means it's not a special road, unlike the Severn Bridge path.
Summers-lad

Re: Motorway cycle paths speed limits

Post by Summers-lad »

Pity - I was hoping you were going to have an answer saying cyclists aren't subject to a 70mph limit (although by implication they've said that too). Must get training...
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Summers-lad wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 15:31 Pity - I was hoping you were going to have an answer saying cyclists aren't subject to a 70mph limit (although by implication they've said that too). Must get training...
If a cyclist is charged with exceeding 70 mph, they have a very good defence in court "My Lord, I do not believe it is possible to cycle at 70 mph. If counsel for the prosecution disagrees, let him demonstrate".
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

In some European countries, prohibition and warning signs for water-craft are square. See here for example (height restriction 3.3 m, speed restriction 3 km/h). (Just found this document regarding inland European waterways.

Is there a special shape for signs relating to bicycles?
Last edited by Vierwielen on Sun Dec 31, 2023 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Vierwielen wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 17:16
Summers-lad wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 15:31 Pity - I was hoping you were going to have an answer saying cyclists aren't subject to a 70mph limit (although by implication they've said that too). Must get training...
If a cyclist is charged with exceeding 70 mph, they have a very good defence in court "My Lord, I do not believe it is possible to cycle at 70 mph. If counsel for the prosecution disagrees, let him demonstrate".
Guy Martin achieved 113 mph when he broke the British cycle speed record!
Lifelong motorhead
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 17:36 Guy Martin achieved 113 mph when he broke the British cycle speed record!
With a lot of wind assist from the truck in front of him, I seem to recall there was a similar record set by a cyclist behind a train.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Vierwielen wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 17:30 Is there a special shape for signs relating to bicycles?
No, only for trams. (With some confusion as some areas are km/h and some are mph.)
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

nowster wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 23:58
Vierwielen wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 17:30 Is there a special shape for signs relating to bicycles?
No, only for trams. (With some confusion as some areas are km/h and some are mph.)
Most, if not all are km/h. (See Tramway Principals and Guidance: para 8.60(e)).
solocle

Post by solocle »

Vierwielen wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 17:16
I mean, I've clocked 57 mph before, on the C32 (North Yorkshire). Not quite car NSL, but spitting distance away.

In ideal conditions 70 probably is possible, but I doubt there are any dual carriageways steep enough for that!

From the SABRE Wiki: C32 (North Yorkshire) :

The C32 is a road of two parts, both famous road climbs.

Fleet Moss is a hill pass renowned for being the highest paved road in Yorkshire, reaching a summit of 588 m [1929 ft], connecting Wharfedale and Wensleydale. Although the shortest route between Wharfedale's B6160 and Hawes, the recommended route for drivers is to continue along the B6160 to the A684. A narrow road with low traffic, and an epic climb to boot, this road is very popular for cyclists, although sometimes narrow

... Read More
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Vierwielen wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 13:28
Sheffield Supertram and Manchester Metrolink would like to differ.

https://uktram.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ways_2.pdf (Section 4.1.2)
XC70

Post by XC70 »

KeithW wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 19:48
....... I seem to recall there was a similar record set by a cyclist behind a train......
The track sleepers must have made the ride a bit bumpy.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

nowster wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 16:57
Vierwielen wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 13:28

Sheffield Supertram and Manchester Metrolink would like to differ.

https://uktram.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ways_2.pdf (Section 4.1.2)
But Nottingham, Midlands, Edinburgh, Blackpool, Croydon, Tyne & Wear and DRL all use metric. collected thuis Inforation from Rail Accident Investigation (RAIB) reports. RAIB are meticulous in using the units of measure that were being used on the day of the accident.
Last edited by Vierwielen on Tue Jan 02, 2024 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Vierwielen wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 18:29 RAIB are meticulous in using the units of measure that were being used on the day of the accident.
That doesn't change the fact that two of the seven current tram schemes use mph, not km/h.

Tyne and Wear Metro isn't a tram system, nor is Merseyrail or DLR. They're light rail without any "on road" sections. Your "Tyne & Wear" RAIB link is to an accident at Bestwood on the Nottingham trams.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

nowster wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:19
Vierwielen wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 18:29 RAIB are meticulous in using the units of measure that were being used on the day of the accident.
That doesn't change the fact that two of the seven current tram schemes use mph, not km/h.

Tyne and Wear Metro isn't a tram system, nor is Merseyrail or DLR. They're light rail without any "on road" sections. Your "Tyne & Wear" RAIB link is to an accident at Bestwood on the Nottingham trams.
Two of the largest systems by track length as well, as well as the earliest of the "new" trams. Blackpool of course is the outlier - interestingly the famous on-street section by the Metropole has been segregated out as part of the drive to change Blackpool from a novelty tram to a serious metro system.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

XC70 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 17:54
KeithW wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 19:48
....... I seem to recall there was a similar record set by a cyclist behind a train......
The track sleepers must have made the ride a bit bumpy.
If that was the very early attempt I'm thinking of boards had been laid between the tracks. It was a somewhat questionable attempt - the passage of the train wobbled the boards about, and the cyclist had to be pulled on to the back of the train when the boards ran out...
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

solocle wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:58 What jumps out is that the Avonmouth Bridge path above is regulated under Section 84, which means it's not a special road, unlike the Severn Bridge path.
I'm guessing that this goes back to the initial construction legislation, where the whole of the Severn Bridge structure may have been designated a Special Road (under whichever flavour of the 1949 Special Roads Act applied at the time), but not the Avonmouth bridge. Did the current motorcycle/cycle setup on that bridge apply from day 1 ?
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Content deleted - half page posted in error
Last edited by Vierwielen on Tue Jan 02, 2024 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

nowster wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:19

Tyne and Wear link corrected.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Vierwielen wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 14:45 Tyne and Wear link corrected.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tyne ... limits.jpg

It's still not a tram system, but also shares some of its lines with National Rail, hence the unique signage linked to above. (10 mph for goods, 40mph for other trains and its equivalent of 60km/h for Metro trains.)
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I thought it was well established that cyclists were not subject to speed limits as they are not required to have speedometers but I suppose they are still able to be prosecuted for wanton and furious cycling an offence since 1861 as I recall.