Daily Express Article

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Was92now625

Daily Express Article

Post by Was92now625 »

Came up on a list when opening a browser.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/other/ ... 1351&ei=18

Title : "Why there's an M23 and M25 but no M21, M22 or M24"

A couple of lines : "For example, the M1's namesake is the A1, which runs parallel to the motorway, and also connects the north and south of England. The M23 was named after the A23 in the same fashion.

The M23 follows a similar course, more or less replacing the A23 on the route to Croydon."

No attempt to justify the M25 even by stating that PART of it has a route similar to M25.

Nothing about M5, M60 and others that simply do not follow this trend.

Nothing about different "systems" in Scotland and in England and Wales.
B1040

Re: Daily Express Article

Post by B1040 »

Is there anything the Express is reliable and useful source for?
Football results, I suppose.
Road numbers involve way too much detail.
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

B1040 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 14:44 Is there anything the Express is reliable and useful source for?
No. As one guy said on Wikipedia (source) "The Express is in one way a generic crappy tabloid, but in another quite singular: it's obsessed with Diana conspiracies and UFOs. (alien OR ufo) site:express.co.uk gets over 400 unique results. It's also deep into Maddie conspiracies. I would trust it about as far as I could throw Richard Desmond."
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

B1040 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 14:44 Is there anything the Express is reliable and useful source for?
I can think of a number of uses. One can put it in a guinea-pig cage and put the sawdust on top of it. It is also useful for starting the fire in a barbecue.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

Vierwielen wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 22:36
I can think of a number of uses. One can put it in a guinea-pig cage and put the sawdust on top of it. It is also useful for starting the fire in a barbecue.
Packing material? I know that's what my family uses the copies of the Epoch Times we occasionally get for.
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

That almost feels like an AI-generated article. Funnily enough, asking Bing the same question results in it regurgitating the same article, and asking ChatGPT produces a more accurate answer, except it claims "The M24 does exist, and it is a motorway in the United Kingdom. [...] M24: Connects the M25 to the M3, providing a link between London and the southwest." :roll:
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Football results, I suppose...
Alas, no.

As a student I recall being involved in a conversation where a group of others were asking one guy why he took The Sun. His answer was that it was fine "if you just wanted to know the facts". I picked it up and turned straight to the sports section, where I was able to point out that there was an error in the Formula 1 World Championship standings.

Judging from the headlines I see in The Express whenever they pop up in my Google feed, they appear to be sheer nonsense. So I wouldn't trust them on the sports results, either.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Ritchie333 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 14:58
No. As one guy said on Wikipedia (source) "The Express is in one way a generic crappy tabloid, but in another quite singular: it's obsessed with Diana conspiracies and UFOs. (alien OR ufo) site:express.co.uk gets over 400 unique results. It's also deep into Maddie conspiracies. I would trust it about as far as I could throw Richard Desmond."
I would say that about the Daily Express under the old Dirty Des regime, but since Reach bought it it has become a little less extreme.

As for the article, that has been on numerous "local" Reach websites before and has the usual quality of journalism associated with them.....
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown