"Max Planck is God!", it said...

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

carlcaulkett

"Max Planck is God!", it said...

Post by carlcaulkett »

... in graffiti on the side of a railway bridge over the A40 just on the London side of Oxford. From the Adlestrop map at https://www.systemed.net/atlas/ I suspect the railway must have been the old Oxford to Princes Risborough line which would place the bridge roughly at Wheatley. I always used to see it in family trips from London to Ross-on-Wye back in the late 60s/early 70s, but I suspect the bridge has been demolished. Does anyone remember it, or can provide any info, or, even better, post some photos? I've searched high and low but cannot find any trace of it.
nowster
Treasurer

Re: "Max Planck is God!", it said...

Post by nowster »

Maybe the more actively you look the less you find? Heisenberg and all that. :twisted:

Hopefully someone here remembers something about it. Wrong bit of the country for me.
carlcaulkett

Post by carlcaulkett »

nowster wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 21:56 Maybe the more actively you look the less you find? Heisenberg and all that. :twisted:

Hopefully someone here remembers something about it. Wrong bit of the country for me.
:lol:
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I like Open Railway Map which overlays old and existing rail map over openstreetmap. Click the link!
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Big L wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:23 I like Open Railway Map which overlays old and existing rail map over openstreetmap. Click the link!
Or indeed, OpenRailwayMap! :wink:
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

trickstat

Post by trickstat »

carlcaulkett wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 20:52 ... in graffiti on the side of a railway bridge over the A40 just on the London side of Oxford. From the Adlestrop map at https://www.systemed.net/atlas/ I suspect the railway must have been the old Oxford to Princes Risborough line which would place the bridge roughly at Wheatley. I always used to see it in family trips from London to Ross-on-Wye back in the late 60s/early 70s, but I suspect the bridge has been demolished. Does anyone remember it, or can provide any info, or, even better, post some photos? I've searched high and low but cannot find any trace of it.
I don't remember it from family trips from Stevenage to Lechlade in the late '70s and '80s, so maybe demolition took place sometime in the '70s?