Definitive Roads Map (A26, specifically)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Notters

Definitive Roads Map (A26, specifically)

Post by Notters »

Hi All. I contacted the Ordnance Survey to query why their 1:25,000 map shows the A26 running through the centre of Tunbridge Wells (Mount Pleasant Road / Vale Road). As far as I'm aware this hasn't been the case since, perhaps, the mid-80s (correct me if I'm wrong!)

They have asked for evidence of this - is there anywhere I can get a definitive roads map?
A26.JPG
I should add that Sabre Roads is usually my first port of call for any such info.
I've been lurking on here for years - didn't realise I even had an account!
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Re: Definitive Roads Map (A26, specifically)

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Welcome to SABRE!

The best place to look is on the Find My Street website - on there you can see what class (A,B,C,Unclassifed) the road is.

Our Wiki also might help identify your roads if they're Class III - Kent_Council_(Class_III_roads) - we generally get the information from the relevant council, so it depends on when we did the traces and whether or not they've changed anything in the meantime!

(Edited to fix bad Wiki link)
Last edited by ravenbluemoon on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Kent Council (Class III roads) :

ent Council uses the letter C to indicate its classified roads. Some roads may leave the authority, but continue with their previous number when returning. Some others also may leave the authority and continue with the same number in Medway. Both of these are consequences of Medway becoming a unitary authority once the C designations had been assigned.

List of roads in Kent, with classification

... Read More
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

I appreciate that neither are definitive, but both Google Maps and OSM show Grosvenor Road and Mount Pleasant Road as part tertiary road and part unclassified, and only the left hand branch as still A26.
Notters

Post by Notters »

Thanks both - I did email the Kent CC Highways department a couple of weeks ago but haven't had a response.

Imagine they've got far more important things to be doing.

Interestingly 'Find My Street' says 'classification - A Road' but that may be derived from the Ordnance Survey?
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:15 I appreciate that neither are definitive, but both Google Maps and OSM show Grosvenor Road and Mount Pleasant Road as part tertiary road and part unclassified, and only the left hand branch as still A26.
Looks like the tertiary road is the C385, but there's nothing else on our Wiki about it (yet).
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

I'm not familiar with the history of the roads in that area, but it looks like the current route that is signed as the A26 bypassed the original route through the town and therefore it would have lost its classification upon completion. The only reason for both being the A26 is if it operated as a one-way system at some point, but that certainly hasn't been the case for a few decades at least and the route though town is restricted to buses and cycles during the day. Not that that it would be unique for a two digit A road to be under such restrictions, but it would make no sense in this instance.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

OSM is correct as far as I know. Not sure why OS have that layout. The map has always been strange in Tunbridge Wells. Some maps even have a Z bend route of the A26 on that new bypass route for some reason. The signage is correct on the route OSM shows for the road, which makes a change for Kent County Council...
Notters

Post by Notters »

Yes, I'm looking at the Z bend now and scratching my head!

So this is the message received from OS - how can I respond in a way that will convince them (though you would think it would be their job to check these things)?

Sorry to hear there is an error in our mapping.

Please can you send me photos/ screenshots of the mapping you are looking at and the evidence of the declassification of this.

This will allow me to look into this for you.

Kind regards,

A26b.JPG
Fluid Dynamics

Post by Fluid Dynamics »

Yes the primary Z route is strange. It's on my current online OS map too. As a local noone ever uses that as a route so it is a bit odd?

You can't really categorise the current A26 as a bypass as it was there on the 1922-33 MoT map and certainly doesn't look new on the ground. And its at a crawl for much of the day.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Fluid Dynamics wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 19:25Yes the primary Z route is strange. It's on my current online OS map too. As a local noone ever uses that as a route so it is a bit odd?
It's also neither primary nor signposted as part of the A26!
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

Fluid Dynamics wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 19:25 Yes the primary Z route is strange. It's on my current online OS map too. As a local noone ever uses that as a route so it is a bit odd?
Again, on the other sources, it's shown as part of the A264 - the red straight ahead bit is the A26
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 13:49 It's also neither primary nor signposted as part of the A26!
Yet it isn't the A21...