How to improve the Stonehaven roundabout

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

IanRB

How to improve the Stonehaven roundabout

Post by IanRB »

Simple

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c978ywj12l4o

Assuming it's accessed via the B979.
Achmelvic

Re: How to improve the Stonehaven roundabout

Post by Achmelvic »

Oh ffs….

Add extra traffic to an already terrible layout, and so much for any chance of it being fixed properly with free flowing links in the next 30+ years
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Yep, I posted about this in the AWPR topic the other day. Note too that a service station and Starbucks have been approved for one arm of the roundabout already (the smaller ‘local access only’ exit between the AWPR and the A92 north slip), with this new Tesco, EV hub and whatever else being off the B979. I’m sure traffic will be just wonderful with a large supermarket, drive thru plus major trunk road interchange, coupled with the built in conflict for A90-A90 traffic. :roll:
jackal

Post by jackal »

The funniest/worst thing is that there's not even the usual fig leaf of widening the roundabout or approaches. See the access track at the left of this image?

They're just making that the services access and calling it a day.

And the Stonehaven Gateway/supermarket will make even less of a change to the roundabout layout (i.e. none):
It seems to be open season for developers, with Transport Scotland waving everything through.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

jackal wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 00:28
It seems to be open season for developers, with Transport Scotland waving everything through.
Isn’t that ABdPJ’s legacy in action; that local authorities should bias towards development.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

I think there is also a (longer term) plan for a new bridge over the Cowie Water connecting the B979 with the new roundabout on the A957, via the new developments on either side of the river. While this might be the easier access to Tesco for most of the town, it would also surely be the quicker route onto the northern A90/A92 from the A957 and vice-versa, so is likely to add more traffic into the junction overall.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.