Smallest place signed from a motorway?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Telstarbox

Smallest place signed from a motorway?

Post by Telstarbox »

I wondered about this because some places have a small population but are either well-known or strategically important.

For example West Malling is signed from M20 Junction 4 and has around 2,600 people.

Re: Smallest place signed from a motorway?

Post by 6637 »

Pretty sure Dishforth (905 people) is signed from A1(M) northbound J48
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

Crianlarich, signed from the M9, M8 and M898, possibly M80 too. Looks like population shade under 200 from quick search!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Ignoring places with zero residents such as bridges and airports, then maybe Scotch Corner?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Has to be a toss-up between Crianlarich and Scotch Corner doesn't it?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

"Weston" is signed off the M54 westbound at J3. I'm not sure if its for the parish or the actual Weston Park, either way it is probably in with contention
Built for comfort, not speed.
jnty

Post by jnty »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:21 Has to be a toss-up between Crianlarich and Scotch Corner doesn't it?
Is Scotch Corner strictly a habitable place'? I thought it described a junction rather than a settlement. You wouldn't refer to the population of Broxden Roundabout for example. (Please ignore Carstairs Junction!)

I'm surprised by how low the population of Crianlarich is. Without sources, Wikipedia says that Crawford, signed of the A74(M) at the other A702 junction, has 300 people.

I have an idea that Abington is signed on the A74(M) somewhere in a non-services context; if so, it has a population of 200.
Potholes ate my car

Post by Potholes ate my car »

My first thought was Johnstonebridge and Kirtlebridge, both signposted from the A74(M). I can’t see a population listed for either but they can’t have many people living in them.
jnty

Post by jnty »

Potholes ate my car wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:57 My first thought was Johnstonebridge and Kirtlebridge, both signposted from the A74(M). I can’t see a population listed for either but they can’t have many people living in them.
I'd bet the winner will be found on the A74(M) somewhere - it's surely a goldmine for this stuff.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

There are some very small villages along the M74/A74(M) route, including Kirtlebridge which is signed at J20. I can't find a reliable population figure, but have just counted about 42-45 houses, (excluding some outlying farms) which even at an unlikely average of 4 people per house is less than 180 people. I suspect the real figure is nearer 120.

Of course, a junction is a place (more so than a bridge) so even if no one lives at Scotch Corner, the presence of the hotel and services makes it a place as per the original post...
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
jnty

Post by jnty »

rileyrob wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 15:00 Of course, a junction is a place (more so than a bridge) so even if no one lives at Scotch Corner, the presence of the hotel and services makes it a place as per the original post...
Fair enough, although South Bridge's population possibly exceeds many of the contenders here :P
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Northern Ireland will be like shooting fish in a barrel :D

Loughgall for example - population (2011 census via wikipedia) - 282, signed from the M1 (NI)

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4810552 ... ?entry=ttu

Sprucefield is a retail park area around the junction for the M1/A1 (NI), probably differentiates where they want to move Dublin traffic onto the next junction nearby (when it is probably quicker to go via Sprucefield)

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4948914 ... ?entry=ttu

Carn and Seagoe (small areas around Portadown) from M12 (NI)

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4516187 ... ?entry=ttu

Greencastle on the M2 (NI) is a fairly large junction before the motorway heads uphill, but it's an old village in North Belfast that was decimated by said junction

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.6453868 ... ?entry=ttu

Cushendall on M2 (NI) Ballymena bypass population (2011 census via wikipedia) - 1280

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.8699515 ... ?entry=ttu
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Brenzett on the M20? Not sure if it still is?
B1040

Post by B1040 »

If the Huntingdon bypass had been A14(M) instead of A14, Boxworth (pop 218) would have been up there.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Runwell wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 16:16 Brenzett on the M20? Not sure if it still is?
Replaced by Hastings when jnc 10A was built.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

rhyds wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:46 "Weston" is signed off the M54 westbound at J3. I'm not sure if its for the parish or the actual Weston Park, either way it is probably in with contention
Weston-under-Lizard has a population of less than 500 - it's not listed on the Built-up Areas on the 2021 census, but it's an actual village.
jnty wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:51
Bryn666 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:21 Has to be a toss-up between Crianlarich and Scotch Corner doesn't it?
Is Scotch Corner strictly a habitable place'? I thought it described a junction rather than a settlement. You wouldn't refer to the population of Broxden Roundabout for example.
There are some hotels at Scotch Corner and a caravan park, so it will have a non-zero population at any given time, up to a maximum of not very much when the hotels and caravan park are full.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

James Heaton

Post by James Heaton »

High Cross signed off one of the Newport M4 junctions (28?) must be in the mix
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

In the Post Office address finder “Scotch Corner” seems to be considered as a street in the village of Middleton Tyas. Perhaps it isn’t a place after all…
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

"Services"
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

Had a thought that Shap was in contention, but Google suggests it looks like a megalopolis compared to Crianlarich with a population of between 900 and 1000!

Can’t find any definitive population figure for Kirtlebridge, but a statement on a local website says ‘about 500’. Johnstonbridge supposedly had a population of 683 in 2016.