Comically over-signed destinations

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rhyds

Comically over-signed destinations

Post by rhyds »

Leading on from the Doncaster/Sheffield/Dublin East airport thread, I was reminded about how massively over-signed Cardiff Airport seems to be given its relative lack of size.

Heading east on the M4 you pass mind boggling array of signs including

This one just after the M4 starts at J49 and after passing an RCS for Cardiff

This wonderful blue bordered example at J42

This old blue border sign near J37 that's now gone

And that's not even all of them. I'd wager there's a Cardiff Airport sign about every 10-15 miles from Pont Abraham to J33. I can't help but think that these signs, plus the new "For the Senedd follow Cardiff Bay" signs at J33 (Possibly the only signs to a Legislature on the motorway network?) that the Welsh Government are unfairly advertising on the Motorway network!

Is there any other destination that's quite so over-signed on the UK network?
Built for comfort, not speed.
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Re: Comically over-signed destinations

Post by Ritchie333 »

The hamlet of Brenzett, which as far as I can tell has a population of under 400, appears to have previously been a de-facto primary destination, because it's where the A2070 meets the A259. These are gradually getting phased out and replaced with the more sensible Hastings, but there are still several hanging around, such as:

This one on the A28 is signposted "Canterbury, Brenzett", sending traffic in the wrong direction and bypassing the town centre.

This one is the main signposted route out of the station (domestic side) towards the M20. You'd have thought "London, Channel Tunnel" or even "Other Routes" would have been appropriate, but this gets "Brenzett" too.

This one displayed "Brenzett" until around 2021, when it was switched to "Hastings".
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Ritchie333 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:18 The hamlet of Brenzett, which as far as I can tell has a population of under 400, appears to have previously been a de-facto primary destination, because it's where the A2070 meets the A259. These are gradually getting phased out and replaced with the more sensible Hastings, but there are still several hanging around, such as:

This one on the A28 is signposted "Canterbury, Brenzett", sending traffic in the wrong direction and bypassing the town centre.

This one is the main signposted route out of the station (domestic side) towards the M20. You'd have thought "London, Channel Tunnel" or even "Other Routes" would have been appropriate, but this gets "Brenzett" too.

This one displayed "Brenzett" until around 2021, when it was switched to "Hastings".
Brenzett as I am sure you know is on the route of the A259 which is not only primary but trunk and of course meets the A2070 from Ashford. When I lived in Lydd I passed through that junction many times. My Sunday journeys started in Middlesbrough and ended up near Dungeness. Back then of course we used the old B2070 which took me through Kingsnorth and Hamstreet. Is the aeronautical museum still there ?
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Ritchie333 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:18 The hamlet of Brenzett, which as far as I can tell has a population of under 400, appears to have previously been a de-facto primary destination, because it's where the A2070 meets the A259. These are gradually getting phased out and replaced with the more sensible Hastings, but there are still several hanging around...
Its like the English equivalent of Llangurig!
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

rhyds wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:45
Ritchie333 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:18 The hamlet of Brenzett, which as far as I can tell has a population of under 400, appears to have previously been a de-facto primary destination, because it's where the A2070 meets the A259. These are gradually getting phased out and replaced with the more sensible Hastings, but there are still several hanging around...
I think the key difference is that Llangurig (and Brough, and Crianlarich) are recognised primary destinations that are still signed today. I don't believe Brenzett has ever been one.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Not quite the same, but there are a handful of signs about that still direct traffic to long abandoned ferry services.
This one on the M9 / M876 for the ferry service from Rosyth for instance. Although I see that some, if not all, of the 'Ireland Ferry' signs on the A83 south of Lochgilphead have been updated.
I also have an idea that there used to be a sign on the A9 for a ferry service from Invergordon, but can't find it now.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
C83

Post by C83 »

More of an opposite here, but have Transport Scotland taken offence at the Queensferry Crossing/Forth Road Bridge as it seems to appear of few if any signs these days, other bridges e.g. Kincardine, Erskine are still signposted. It's a useful destination in its own right as particularly around Falkirk and West Lothian, 'Perth' could either mean via Stirling (M/A9) or Forth Bridge (M90).
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Macclesfield and Whitchurch are comically over signed in Warrington. And barely have any relevance. They feature on many signs in the middle of the town as primary destinations.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3865866 ... ?entry=ttu
Macclesfield isn't even on the A50 so unsure why it over features.
Whitchurch, while being the next primary destination along the A49 is 40 miles away and an hour drive. Perhaps a legacy from the pre motorway days?
The next signed destination south along the A49 instead could be Northwich which while isn't on the A49, is accessed from it via the A533. Even Runcorn is barely signed from the centre of Warrington.
Summers-lad

Post by Summers-lad »

rileyrob wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 14:46 Not quite the same, but there are a handful of signs about that still direct traffic to long abandoned ferry services.
This one on the M9 / M876 for the ferry service from Rosyth for instance. Although I see that some, if not all, of the 'Ireland Ferry' signs on the A83 south of Lochgilphead have been updated.
I also have an idea that there used to be a sign on the A9 for a ferry service from Invergordon, but can't find it now.
I don't recall ever seeing a sign for an Invergordon ferry (which as far as I know was only ever a foot ferry, and I think last sailed in the late 1970s) but, quite sensibly, there are signs for the summer-only Nigg ferry.
On the B9163 there used to be a sign, rather like the more famous one at Stromeferry, to "Alnessferry (no ferry)", but it's gone.
Herned

Post by Herned »

rhyds wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:45 Its like the English equivalent of Llangurig!
Llangurig was my immediate thought when I saw the thread title
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Summers-lad wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 20:41
rileyrob wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 14:46I also have an idea that there used to be a sign on the A9 for a ferry service from Invergordon, but can't find it now.
I don't recall ever seeing a sign for an Invergordon ferry (which as far as I know was only ever a foot ferry, and I think last sailed in the late 1970s) but, quite sensibly, there are signs for the summer-only Nigg ferry.
Wasn't there a ferry from Invergordon to Orkney or Shetland for a few years? In fact, there was, a freight ferry started in 2002 to Orkney by Pentland: https://www.scotsman.com/news/freight-f ... ey-2467172
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Herned wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 20:44
rhyds wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:45 Its like the English equivalent of Llangurig!
Llangurig was my immediate thought when I saw the thread title
To be fair, as Ritchie points out Llangurig is a Primary Destination, and pretty much the only thing that makes sense to sign near the A470/A44 junction (Llanidloes and Rheadr are a bit too far either side). Cardiff airport on the other hand is next to, well, Cardiff and pretty much all of the Cardiff Airport signs are near to RCS with Cardiff on them
Summers-lad

Post by Summers-lad »

rileyrob wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 21:10
Summers-lad wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 20:41
rileyrob wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 14:46I also have an idea that there used to be a sign on the A9 for a ferry service from Invergordon, but can't find it now.
Wasn't there a ferry from Invergordon to Orkney or Shetland for a few years? In fact, there was, a freight ferry started in 2002 to Orkney by Pentland: https://www.scotsman.com/news/freight-f ... ey-2467172
You're right - I'd forgotten about that one, and I think it only ran for a year or two, before the Pentland one, and probably in the early 1990s. It was basically a freight ferry but took cars and passengers when space permitted.
I was thinking of the one across the firth to Balblair.
Bomag

Post by Bomag »

rhyds wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:45
Llangurig also had the shortest train service if any opened passenger line - it shut after the first train.
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

rhyds wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 22:20 I was reminded about how massively over-signed Cardiff Airport seems to be given its relative lack of size.
If I recall correctly, the Welsh Government bought Cardiff Airport when the previous owners decided to close it down.

I can't help wonder that these two observations are related...
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 09:36
rhyds wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 22:20 I was reminded about how massively over-signed Cardiff Airport seems to be given its relative lack of size.
If I recall correctly, the Welsh Government bought Cardiff Airport when the previous owners decided to close it down.

I can't help wonder that these two observations are related...
As I mentioned in the original post that did cross my mind, however a lot of those signs pre-date the purchase by a good while.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

C83 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 14:47 More of an opposite here, but have Transport Scotland taken offence at the Queensferry Crossing/Forth Road Bridge as it seems to appear of few if any signs these days, other bridges e.g. Kincardine, Erskine are still signposted. It's a useful destination in its own right as particularly around Falkirk and West Lothian, 'Perth' could either mean via Stirling (M/A9) or Forth Bridge (M90).
Yes, I believe Edinburgh/Perth should be used in place of "Forth Road Bridge", and Dundee instead of "Tay [Road] Bridge".
XC70

Post by XC70 »

When I moved to Bolton in 1998, everywhere I went there seemed to be a sign to the "Last Drop Village". When I eventually went to check out what I thought would be a big and exciting tourist attraction I discovered it appeared to be nothing other than a big hotel.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

XC70 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 22:29 When I moved to Bolton in 1998, everywhere I went there seemed to be a sign to the "Last Drop Village". When I eventually went to check out what I thought would be a big and exciting tourist attraction I discovered it appeared to be nothing other than a big hotel.
I'd love to know how they wangled those signs, I too used to wonder what this amazing place was - I'd thought maybe some industrial heritage or something, and nope, it's a hotel and wedding venue. Political interference can be the only explanation for it.

Mind you, Wigan Pier being prominently signed off the M61 and M6 makes me laugh too - it's a small museum and a pub.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

They're too new to be on streetview, but this filling station near Oban now has Filling Station 200yds signs in either direction, proper green trunk road signage. Obviously, the Esso canopy is visible before the signs though.
Rob.