Channel 5 TV - The Motorway Map of Britain

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Channel 5 TV - The Motorway Map of Britain

Post by wrinkly »

No idea whether this is any good but it's on Channel 5 at 20:00 on Friday (8 March).
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Channel 5 TV - The Motorway Map of Britain

Post by Steven »

wrinkly wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 22:07 No idea whether this is any good but it's on Channel 5 at 20:00 on Friday (8 March).
I believe there's due to be at least one expert who does know what they're talking about on there... :wink:
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Steven wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 07:43
wrinkly wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 22:07 No idea whether this is any good but it's on Channel 5 at 20:00 on Friday (8 March).
I believe there's due to be at least one expert who does know what they're talking about on there... :wink:
:scratchchin:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

If it was on ITV that'd presumably be Stephen Mulhern...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
chaseracer

Post by chaseracer »

Domestic Management turned to me yesterday evening while perusing the cultural treasures available on Sky TV. "You're strangely and inexplicably fascinated by this sort of thing," said she, "so I've set it to record for you."

Definite keeper! 8-)
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Well done Steven! A decent programme and you came over much better than, say, Jonathan Glancey who appeared to be trying to look over his own eyebrows (I should say that I have enjoyed his writing in the Grauniad and elsewhere).
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 21:02 Well done Steven! A decent programme and you came over much better than, say, Jonathan Glancey who appeared to be trying to look over his own eyebrows (I should say that I have enjoyed his writing in the Grauniad and elsewhere).
Yes, very good, both Steven and the programme in general.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Sabrista
Secretary

Post by Sabrista »

Just watched on catchup as was out this evening - very interesting programme... and of course always great to see Steven as the voice of authority there!

Thanks to reading this thread before watching, I laughed at Jonathan Glancey's eyebrows rather more than I should have, however!

Serena
"The motorways are full of teachers' pets in their company cars listening to Simply Red..." - Dean Johnson

Big Trip In A Big (Now Little) Car! (new)
Serena's Mr Floppy Collection
My other pet project!
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

Decent programme. If in the future we are to have a heritage Motorway where you can actually "drive", the likes of the M45 and M50 need to be preserved for this!
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Scratchwood wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 01:07 Decent programme. If in the future we are to have a heritage Motorway where you can actually "drive", the likes of the M45 and M50 need to be preserved for this!
There was an April Fool story on here a few years back that the M45 was being turned into a "heritage motorway", and only vehicles built before the mid 1970s could use it. :-P
Steven wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 07:43 I believe there's due to be at least one expert who does know what they're talking about on there... :wink:
I had no idea what you looked like but as soon as I saw your name flash up, I said out loud "I know that guy!". My partner looked at me as if I was insane and then went back to his Facebook chat. :-P

I enjoyed the programme - and the others in the series look interesting too. I did wonder when it was filmed - the copyright said 2023, but they had references to the A1 being upgraded to the A1(M) - which happened a few years back - as if it had happened very recently.
Last edited by Gareth Thomas on Thu Mar 28, 2024 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

I recorded it and have just watched it, it was really good and Steven you have an excellent presenting style!

I was also fascinated by the bit on sign design, the idea that you look at the shape of words which is lost if they are capitalised seems fairly obvious but it had never occurred to me before. Has the sign designer been made a Dame?
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

skiddaw05 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 22:44 Has the sign designer been made a Dame?
She has an OBE. I'm not too knowledgeable about the honours system but I don't think an OBE allows you to use the title Dame.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Stop spoiling the ending! Watching it today and want to see the twist. I have a fiver on it that the butler did it in Gordano with an AA book of the road.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

swissferry wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:22
skiddaw05 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 22:44 Has the sign designer been made a Dame?
She has an OBE. I'm not too knowledgeable about the honours system but I don't think an OBE allows you to use the title Dame.
It doesn't. In the Order of the British Empire (and other orders where a title is given as well as the letters) the top two ranks give them KBE/DBE (knight commander or dame commander) and GBE (knight commander grand cross or dame commander grand cross)
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Thanks for the positive feedback!

It's one of these things that you don't get to see the finished product until the same time as everyone else, so it's always a bit nerve-wracking beforehand in case they've played silly idiots with the editing and made you look stupid. But they played it fine - though I was amused by the person complaining about motorway traffic levels whilst clearly not being on a motorway!

It's also one of these things that's easier to do the more experienced you get at it.
Steven
Motorway Historian

FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 21:02 Well done Steven! A decent programme and you came over much better than, say, Jonathan Glancey who appeared to be trying to look over his own eyebrows (I should say that I have enjoyed his writing in the Grauniad and elsewhere).
Another thumbs up here. :thumbsup: A very assured performance, Steven, you are clearly much more comfortable in front of the camera than I proved to be!

And I agree with Chris about Jonathan Glancey, one of a few excellent print journalists I can think of who don't quite transfer well to the screen - Sophie Grigson proved a huge disappointment, I recall.

The only (very) minor flaw in my view to be some b&w footage of someone driving a LHD car at a point when we were supposedly referring to British motorways, not German autobahns.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Steven wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:00 Thanks for the positive feedback!

It's one of these things that you don't get to see the finished product until the same time as everyone else, so it's always a bit nerve-wracking beforehand in case they've played silly idiots with the editing and made you look stupid. But they played it fine - though I was amused by the person complaining about motorway traffic levels whilst clearly not being on a motorway!

It's also one of these things that's easier to do the more experienced you get at it.
You came across as a natural, there are presenters of programmes that have their own name in the title less at ease. That takes skill and practice.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:09 And I agree with Chris about Jonathan Glancey, one of a few excellent print journalists I can think of who don't quite transfer well to the screen - Sophie Grigson proved a huge disappointment, I recall.
I know what you are saying. I have the history books of Dan Jones on kindle and audio, well written and well presented. He reads his own books on Audible in English and the books come across as a good history book should, that it is a story. On TV his presenting can often feel uncomfortable, and I don't really want to say it but sometimes they feel like a pay cheque gig.
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

Gareth Thomas wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 21:23
they had references to the A1 being upgraded to the A1(M) - which happened a few years back - as if it had happened very recently.
I may have misunderstood, as my watching of the show was interrupted by domestic matters, but took that to be a reference to the ongoing works on the A1 around Gateshead. Did not think they were upgrading to (M) at that location, however, so was similarly confused albeit for a different reason.

But yes, well done Steven. Did you know you were going to be badged as a "Motorway historian" and is that a well-paid vocation? :wink:
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

ellandback wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:57 But yes, well done Steven. Did you know you were going to be badged as a "Motorway historian" and is that a well-paid vocation? :wink:
They did ask me what I wanted to be credited as, and I think I gave them two or three options, none of which was that! I'm quite happy with it, especially given some of the alternatives they might have made up.
Steven
Motorway Historian