Roadworks percentage completion sign!

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

qwertyK

Roadworks percentage completion sign!

Post by qwertyK »

complete.png
I have never seen one of these before, is this a new thing National Highways are doing to boost the morale of long suffering motorists?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: Roadworks percentage completion sign!

Post by Bryn666 »

Been doing these gimmicks for years now. Not prescribed in the slightest so be interesting to see what authority they're placed under and what risk assessments have been undertaken for changing the progress bar.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Presumably it'll be stuck on 95% for ages, if it's anything like most progress bars in Microsoft Windows for instance. :lol:
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

orudge wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:21 Presumably it'll be stuck on 95% for ages, if it's anything like most progress bars in Microsoft Windows for instance. :lol:
It'll then go blank followed by blue with a QR code in the corner.
Aren't these things are authorised under TSM chapter 84 "Innovashun"
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

There's a thermometer style one near the A1/A47 junction, for the resurfacing works. Looks like it's in a really annoying placing to update, unless they're on a full carriageway closure.

I bet it's one of those jobs that the site junior has to do, along with getting the brews in.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

owen b

Post by owen b »

I'm sure I've seen an electronic percentage complete sign on some roadworks somewhere recently, quite possibly on my most recent return trip from Scotland, likely on the M6 somewhere. At least with an electronic sign the percentage can be updated remotely.
Owen
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

For those unfamiliar, Percentage Complete is a normal way for contractors to summarise progress to clients (there's a lot of calculation detail behind). If it's a £100m job and you are 65% complete, you get paid £65m.

I know some on here will argue the detail (and are probably the ones doing the calcs) but that's a one-liner explanation of the term.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Ah yes, the orange cone zone debacle, which most certainly was NOT an eye-wateringly expensive waste of the public purse, dreamed up by certain persons at HA charged with "improving the customer experience", whatever that load of sphericals is supposed to mean.

Goodness me no, perish the very thought, it was extremely well thought out and very useful. 'onest guv.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bomag

Post by Bomag »

Conekicker wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 21:58
Ah yes, the orange cone zone debacle, which most certainly was NOT an eye-wateringly expensive waste of the public purse, dreamed up by certain persons at HA charged with "improving the customer experience", whatever that load of sphericals is supposed to mean.

Goodness me no, perish the very thought, it was extremely well thought out and very useful. 'onest guv.
The wonderful orange zone guff was an idea by somebody with no involvement in Chapter 8, or TTM (come to thing about it any engineering knowledge). The only thing which was adopted was JTR which would have been authorised anyway. One of the project managers who got landed with it to finish off has a 'gap' in his CV!

The %age complete 'sign' is considered to be billboard and not a traffic sign; if you believe that you believe anything!
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bomag wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:25
Conekicker wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 21:58

The wonderful orange zone guff was an idea by somebody with no involvement in Chapter 8, or TTM (come to thing about it any engineering knowledge). The only thing which was adopted was JTR which would have been authorised anyway. One of the project managers who got landed with it to finish off has a 'gap' in his CV!

The %age complete 'sign' is considered to be billboard and not a traffic sign; if you believe that you believe anything!
As I recall, the orange nonsense was also considered to be billboards. And not a waste of money. Nosireebob.

"My daddy/mummy works here" - someone pass me a bucket quick!
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 23:56 Been doing these gimmicks for years now. Not prescribed in the slightest so be interesting to see what authority they're placed under and what risk assessments have been undertaken for changing the progress bar.
The M4 Smart Motorway Preparing for Digital Highways works had these. They stayed blank for most of the project and were, I think, updated once, about a year before the work finished. They certainly never gave you any meaningful idea how far work had progressed.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 09:24
Bryn666 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 23:56 Been doing these gimmicks for years now. Not prescribed in the slightest so be interesting to see what authority they're placed under and what risk assessments have been undertaken for changing the progress bar.
The M4 Smart Motorway Preparing for Digital Highways works had these. They stayed blank for most of the project and were, I think, updated once, about a year before the work finished. They certainly never gave you any meaningful idea how far work had progressed.
Jobs for the boys though. And people wonder why I have such contempt for our strategic road "overlords".
Bryn

qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

Conekicker wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:01
Conekicker wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 21:58 Ah yes, the orange cone zone debacle, which most certainly was NOT an eye-wateringly expensive waste of the public purse, dreamed up by certain persons at HA charged with "improving the customer experience", whatever that load of sphericals is supposed to mean.

As I recall, the orange nonsense was also considered to be billboards. And not a waste of money. Nosireebob.

Not just NH but I routinely see signs from the local council saying "CCTV in operation", and the logo of the local police warning about abuse etc.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

qwertyK wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 15:30
Conekicker wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:01

Not just NH but I routinely see signs from the local council saying "CCTV in operation", and the logo of the local police warning about abuse etc.
If CCTV signs were banned, they could do what MSAs did and rename themselves... Halifax Protected by CCTV seems like a nice place to live.
Herned

Post by Herned »

Percentage of what? Scheduled time? Expected working hours? Materials shifted?
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

owen b wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 14:07 I'm sure I've seen an electronic percentage complete sign on some roadworks somewhere recently, quite possibly on my most recent return trip from Scotland, likely on the M6 somewhere. At least with an electronic sign the percentage can be updated remotely.
There are barrier works at Carlisle that certainly have an electronic progress sign on the northbound side. 23% at the moment.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
owen b

Post by owen b »

Big L wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 20:41
owen b wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 14:07 I'm sure I've seen an electronic percentage complete sign on some roadworks somewhere recently, quite possibly on my most recent return trip from Scotland, likely on the M6 somewhere. At least with an electronic sign the percentage can be updated remotely.
There are barrier works at Carlisle that certainly have an electronic progress sign on the northbound side. 23% at the moment.
Thanks :) . That'll be the sign I saw. I remember the percentage was quite low when I passed.
Owen
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 16:06
qwertyK wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 15:30
Conekicker wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:01 As I recall, the orange nonsense was also considered to be billboards. And not a waste of money. Nosireebob.

If CCTV signs were banned, they could do what MSAs did and rename themselves... Halifax Protected by CCTV seems like a nice place to live.
CCTV signs are a legal requirement under data protection rules. They're not traffic signs.
Bryn