A182 - Shiney Row

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jabbaboy

A182 - Shiney Row

Post by jabbaboy »

Seen someone mentioning roads to Sunderland from Hexham and it just got me thinking, does anyone know what the plans were for this dual carriageway? It's clear by the diverging of the carriageway that it was meant to continue somewhere, but there's no logical place for it to go. By the angle of it, it seems to be heading towards the A19/A690 Doxford Park junction.

Does anyone know if there was ever any real plans for it? I couldn't find anything when having a look before.
wrinkly

Re: A182 - Shiney Row

Post by wrinkly »

Maybe at one time it was planned to demolish the terraced houses along the A182 and complete the GSJ?
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

wrinkly wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 19:45 Maybe at one time it was planned to demolish the terraced houses along the A182 and complete the GSJ?
Yeah I guess so, it's just bizarre as there's no real sensible place for it to actually head to as there's no real provision for a dual carriageway on the A19 and A690 anywhere and they were all built at the same time.

Mind having a road heading towards the A19 in hindsight would've been handy since the Wessington Way roundabout on the A19 is a right mess.
jackal

Post by jackal »

From an ancient SABRE post:
Steve Howarth wrote: Mon Aug 04, 2003 22:04 My Dad reckons the big roundabout was built with grade separation in mind,with the long-term possibility of extendingthe roadunder the Shiney Row side of the roundabout. It was thought that the housing stockon that far sidewas old and would eventually be demolished to allow for the road to be built. I can't ever see it happening, now, mind you. However, the most likely destination of this road, according to my Dad, would have been Houghton (not the East Herrington roundabout).
The dad in question was "Chief Road Traffic Engineer for Washington Development Corporation in the 1970's".
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

jackal wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:10 From an ancient SABRE post:
Steve Howarth wrote: Mon Aug 04, 2003 22:04 My Dad reckons the big roundabout was built with grade separation in mind,with the long-term possibility of extendingthe roadunder the Shiney Row side of the roundabout. It was thought that the housing stockon that far sidewas old and would eventually be demolished to allow for the road to be built. I can't ever see it happening, now, mind you. However, the most likely destination of this road, according to my Dad, would have been Houghton (not the East Herrington roundabout).
The dad in question was "Chief Road Traffic Engineer for Washington Development Corporation in the 1970's".
Thanks for that, answers my question then.

Just one of those you look at it and think where was that meant to even go, obviously no doubt there was a lot more fields in the 1970's compared to now mind.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

There have been considerable changes in much of the region, fot example Shiney Row and the A194() the A182 is new , as it says in the Sabre Wiki
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=A182 wrote: As may be expected for a road running through a new town, the route of the A182 in Washington has altered considerably since the 1970s.

The original northern end of the A182 was on the A184 in Wardley. It then ran south along what is now the A195 to the far side of the A194(M) before turning off. The old A182 is still just about visible but no longer accessible to through traffic. It ran along Heworth Road and Spout Lane through the old centre of Washington. It crossed the River Wear on Station Road before reaching the current route of the A182 at the flared roundabout in Shiney Row. The road through Washington (from the A194(M) to what is now the A195) was numbered A1231 when built but then renumbered A182 when it was extended southwards.

Except for a bypass in Houghton-le-Spring the A182 now follows its original route as far as Easington and the A19. It originally ended on the old A19 in the village (this is now the B1432 to the north and unclassified to the south). When the A1086 coast road was opened later in the 1920s the A182 was extended to meet it on the northern edge of Horden. Easington was later bypassed to the west (on the A19) and to the south; this became the A1086 rather than the A182.

The Seaham southern bypass was constructed in the 1990s to allow traffic for the docks to avoid the centre of town. This road was given the A182 number from the start.

From the SABRE Wiki: A182 :

The A182 is a non-primary A-road in eastern County Durham. Although non-primary for its entire length it has some important sections.

The road starts on the northern edge of Washington new town at A194(M) J1, where it also meets the B1288. The road heads southwards as the town's main north-south artery, Washington Highway. This road is dualled and fully grade-separated.

[[File:Chartershaugh Bridge - Geograph - 815400.jpg|thumb|left|Crossing the

... Read More
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I've been attempting to find plans for this junction and where the A182 would have went for years without success.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.