South East Aylesbury Link Road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Herned

South East Aylesbury Link Road

Post by Herned »

I have seen elsewhere about this very minor road scheme, which involves a mile and a bit of dual carriageway, with three roundabouts. The only engineering of note is a bridge over a double track railway.

The scheme was approved in 2021 at a cost of £35m. It is now expected to cost £147m.

I'm simply astounded that a mile of road in open flat countryside can cost that much. What on earth is going on in this country?
Truvelo

Re: South East Aylesbury Link Road

Post by Truvelo »

So many simple road schemes seem to cost an extortionate amount these days.

30 years ago a trunk road was planned along the same alignment as part of a major east west route. I suspect £147m would have built the entire lot back then.
Attachments
aylesbury.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
fras

Post by fras »

Herned wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 21:05 I have seen elsewhere about this very minor road scheme, which involves a mile and a bit of dual carriageway, with three roundabouts. The only engineering of note is a bridge over a double track railway.

The scheme was approved in 2021 at a cost of £35m. It is now expected to cost £147m.

I'm simply astounded that a mile of road in open flat countryside can cost that much. What on earth is going on in this country?
Not just any old railway, it is HS2 now under construction.
Herned

Post by Herned »

fras wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 22:06 Not just any old railway, it is HS2 now under construction.
No, that's further west, this section crosses the Chiltern line
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Construction inflation has become unpredictable so a lot of estimates cost wise are seeing bulk contingencies in the high percentage bracket to cover any nasty shocks.

That presumably is how a road scheme can bloat by £100m.

You'd need to ask a proficient SPONS person for the true breakdown.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck