Traffic Signs Working Drawings - Pre-2002

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

doc456tor

Traffic Signs Working Drawings - Pre-2002

Post by doc456tor »

Hello all,

I am enquiring if anyone has any copies of the Working Drawings from 1994 TSRGD, they can upload, as I have tried to trawl the National Archives to no avail.

If you can point me in the right direction I'll be very grateful.

Thank you,

Doc456tor

(Also I'm uncertain if this is the correct forum)
"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?"
Bomag

Re: Traffic Signs Working Drawings - Pre-2002

Post by Bomag »

Most working drawings date from the 1994 regs. If signs change significantly they they normally get a new diagram number.

Some superseded WD are included in the last set of drawings in Schedule 13 (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... chedule-13).

Conekicker may still have a selection of older WD, otherwise try traffic.signs@dft.gov.uk
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bomag wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 23:12 Most working drawings date from the 1994 regs. If signs change significantly they they normally get a new diagram number.

Some superseded WD are included in the last set of drawings in Schedule 13 (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... chedule-13).

Conekicker may still have a selection of older WD, otherwise try traffic.signs@dft.gov.uk
The only early WD I've got is WM 564.5, the old crossover triangle. I got it from DfT via the traffic.signs link Bomag posted above.

I recommend contacting them, with the rider that it's down to luck if the really old ones have survived. DfT couldn't find WDs for the old style wicket triangles (WM 564.2, 564.3 and 564.4) for example. Alternatively, the British Library might have some, but I've never contacted them about this. A collection of them would be an interesting resource.

I've also got the three volumes of the '94 WDs in PDF format. Anyone who would like them, I'd need your email address and I can send them via wetransfer.com.

Edit: I vaguely recall seeing a WD for what was then a WBM black on yellow contraflow sign, something like Diagram 7213 from the '94 Regs? Was it part of a longer document, I'm not sure.

WBMs of this sort became Diagrams 7210-7239 in the '94 TSRGD. They were commonly called "WBMs" in the TTM industry for many years long after '94. Whether there was ever a full set of them I don't know. Given how generally impractical the design rules for this type of signing was, I'd be surprised if a comprehensive set ever existed but presumably at least a handful were drawn up at some point, given that I saw one.
Last edited by Conekicker on Wed May 15, 2024 18:13, edited 2 times in total.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
doc456tor

Post by doc456tor »

Conekicker wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 22:26
Bomag wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 23:12 Most working drawings date from the 1994 regs. If signs change significantly they they normally get a new diagram number.

The only early WD I've got is WM 564.5, the old crossover triangle. I got it from DfT via the traffic.signs link Bomag posted above.

I recommend contacting them, with the rider that it's down to luck if the really old ones have survived. DfT couldn't find WDs for the old style wicket triangles (WM 564.2, 564.3 and 564.4) for example. Alternatively, the British Library might have some, but I've never contacted them about this. A collection of them would be an interesting resource.

I've also got the three volumes of the '94 WDs in PDF format. Anyone who would like them, I'd need your email address and I can send them via wetransfer.com.
I would like a copy of them, please!

I sent you a PM about contact details

Thank you
"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?"
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Sent. Quickly skimming through them, many of them are still current.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.