roadworks oil lamps

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rik

roadworks oil lamps

Post by rik »

Another probable useless info request but!:
I was killing time in one of the antiques centres in Gloucester Docks last week when I picked up one of those old fashioned oil paraffin red roadworks lamps. Just out of interest I asked the guy how much and he said ?25!!! he told me they are a collectors item, in fact I have seen them in pubs and clubs handing on shelves.
I havent seen a red one for years. Back about 15 years ago contractors at least round here were still using the yellow ones, the final square design ones. But then they disappeared off the face of the earth. Does anybody know just out of curiosity if they were banned under some streetworks act on safety grounds or maufactuers stopped producing them as contractors just couldnt be bothered with all the messing about that went with them?
I can just remember when the red ones were still being used. Were these banned because yellow was the favoured colour?
Im just curious! ive got two yellow lamps complete with the burners and wick at home. If theyre as collectable as that guy told me, im hanging onto them!!!!!!!!!!
Sad but there you go!!