A592 and A684

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Guy-Barry
Banned

A592 and A684

Post by Guy-Barry »

Now I've started ferreting around in old threads I'm finding all sorts of stuff that could be added to Roads by 10. Paul also wrote this about the A592:
"The A592 between Windermere and Penrith is magic. Actually
I've only ever joined it by coming up a back road from
Ambleside (that road is an experience in itself), which
meets the A592 between Troutbeck and Brothers Water. You
can't go very fast on the A592, and why would you want to?
Ullswater is an incredible piece of water, much bleaker and
isolated than Derwent Water or the overrated Windermere, and
thus more appealing. And then there's Aira Force."
And there's Chris Bertram's account of the A684:
"Yes, all of it, from the A19 near Osmotherley through to Kendal. Definitely a "scenic route", taking in charming little towns (Northallerton, Bedale, Leyburn, Hawes, Sedbergh), wonderful green river valleys (Wensleydale), cheese (Wensleydale again), and, up towards Kendal, towering hills. There's scarcely a straight stretch on it, which means it's a really involving drive. I'd add to that a diversion from Hawes to Ingleton (B6285) which passes over bleak moors, under the Ribblehead Viaduct and past some really spectacular scar formations on the slopes of Ingleborough."
I'll probably dig up more later on...
Guy
686Carl

Post by 686Carl »

The A592 has not always followed the same route orignally it ran from Newby Bridge to the A6 at Eamont Bridge just south of Penrith. The section from Ullswater to Penrith including the multiplex with the present A66 was originally the B5320. This number was swapped with the A592 in the early 1970's for the section betwen Pooley Bridge and Eamont Bridge. The B5320 was also used for Brunswick Road in Penrith which is curiously now due to a realignment of the town's one way system part of the A6.
The A684 from Kendal to the M6 at junction 37 is now shown on maps as a primary route and as such the main route out of Kendal to the motorway
Life is a banquet and most poor sons of bitches are simply starving to death
BobSykes

Post by BobSykes »

<The section from Ullswater to Penrith including the multiplex with the present A66 was originally the B5320. This number was swapped with the A592 in the early 1970's for the section betwen Pooley Bridge and Eamont Bridge.>

Thanks - that's confirmed something I've often suspected - they might have swapped the numbers around, but they didn't alter the priorities at the A592/B5320 junction at Pooley, so if you're heading towards Penrith on the A592 you have to TOTSO ("turn off to stay on", for the benefit of new members) or else you end up on the B5320. I guess the change tied in with the M6 opening around Penrith and the improved A66 west of Penrith. Before the M6 opened, the present B5320 would have been a better link to the A6 heading south, avoiding Penrith completely.
686Carl

Post by 686Carl »

at the same time the B5288 became the now A66 betwen Stainton and Penruddock and the B5288 became the Penruddock to Penrith via Greystoke section of the A594 which is still signposted as the A594 on at least 2 old fingerpost signs
Life is a banquet and most poor sons of bitches are simply starving to death
stu531

Post by stu531 »

I seem to remember a while ago - a suggestion that the A684 should be upgraded to Primary status. It was turned down on account of the fact that the majority of its usage was local only.
It is a belter of a road - though, if you're doing a round trip, it's worth coming back on the unclassified road that runs parallel to it from Hawes to Leyburn.
Incidentally I've just come back from a week in the Dales. Some superb roads up there - Coverdale pass (Kettlewell-Leyburn) is a beaut - and apparently used to form part of the main road between London and Richmond (yes, I know it's out of the way, but I've checked it and its true). Also the road from Kilnsey to Halton Gill is well nice. Great pubs up there too.
Stu
bealach na ba

Post by bealach na ba »

Guy: <<coming up a back road from Ambleside (that road is an experience in itself), which meets the A592 between Troutbeck and Brothers Water >>

That's the evocatively-named Struggle; it comes out at the Kirkstone Pass Inn, where cyclists should stop for a well-earned drink at the highest part of the road. (Motorists may also stop, but their drinks are less well earned!)

Be warned in winter - that last steep bit up to the A592 can be tricky when it's iced over. I once spent a long time in the front of the queue caused by a Volvo driver with no idea how to drive up icy hills, and who took a large number of attempts with my passengers pushing. Afterwards, I shoved them all in the back of the minibus (over the driving wheels) and went straight up in one go, wondering what the car had found so difficult...
bealach na ba

Post by bealach na ba »

Okay, I have to own up to gritting for the track width of a minibus when helping the car driver...
Guy-Barry
Banned

Post by Guy-Barry »

Bealach na Ba quoted me as saying:<<coming up a back road from Ambleside (that road is an experience in itself), which meets the A592 between Troutbeck and Brothers Water >>

Sadly, I've never visited that part of the world - the quote was taken from an old post by Paul. I'd love to see it though!

Guy
bealach na ba

Post by bealach na ba »

Oops, sorry to Paul!

Cumbria's definitely worth a visit for its roads - if you're visiting, find out if I'm around, because I think I could do a good tour. There are some good examples of Road-to-Rail that are worth a visit (/me remembers to prod Paul about examples at Greenodd, Egremont and Tebay), some excellent mountain passes, a chain-pull (I think - I've never used it) ferry, and, alongside it all, some beautiful mountainry. Oh, and the pubs are okay, too:)
Paul

Post by Paul »

<<me remembers to prod Paul about examples>>
Oh no! Not more of them! I'll never catch up now...]
Paul
Regards,
Paul