Plymouth and back

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Plymouth and back

Post by Chris5156 »

Had the pleasure of a trip to Plymouth and back from Leedsvery recently - a few observations.
What with it being one of those would-be motorways, the A42 has 100m markers down its would-be hard shoulder. Whizzing past at high speed and unable to stop since I wasn't driving, I'm fairly sure the numbers on them weren't in Transport - instead, they looked very much like the old pre-1963 font (distinctive 9's and 6's). Can anyone with lots of free time or who frequently drives the A42 have a close look and confirm?
Plymouth - city of relief roads. There seems to be so much three-lane dual carriageway in the city centre that there's hardly any buildings left to relieve.
When did the A38 lose its 'Devon Expressway' signs? I couldn't spot any! I was certain I'd seen them heading southbound shortly after the A380 split but couldn't find any in either direction.
Can any regular M5'ers (Chris Bertram?) remember spotting a mileage sign northbound which has "M5 (M4)" at the top - but not in Motorway Permanent, in Transport, stretched vertically so the letters were tall and distorted? Nasty!
Chris
A68Nick
Account deactivated at user request

Post by A68Nick »

<<When did the A38 lose its 'Devon Expressway' signs? I couldn't spot any! I was certain I'd seen them heading southbound shortly after the A380 split but couldn't find any in either direction.>>

Heading east away from the Tamar bridge, just after the roundabout after the tolls where the A38 dual-carriageway begins, there's a distance sign with "A38 Devon Expressway" written on it.

Nick
<HR>
N i c h o l a s A l l a n

www.allan-online.co.uk