Listing things connected with roads as 'historic' st

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jim

Listing things connected with roads as 'historic' st

Post by jim »

I was wondering the other day is anything on / connected with the modern road network listed because of its historical interest? I know many things to do with railways / canals are, but I assume these are all 19th century & earlier. I also heard that someone or a group of people were campaigning for the whole of the Brunel Great western Railway to be made into a World Heritage site!
So what if anything would I list or think about listing in the future on our 20th century road network. Well the Red Rose Lancashire / White RoseYorkshire boundary markers on the M62 I believe could do with listing. Perhaps some of the early motorway bridges on the M1 / M45? Any other ideas?
Paul

Post by Paul »

The stones either side of the border on the A68 should be included too. There's a photo in the Pictures section if you look for it...
Paul
Regards,
Paul
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I'd list...
Forton services on the M6 http://www.chris5156.plus.com/photos/8/22.jpg
The original Severn Crossing
A couple of the original M1 bridges, as well as some of the arched footbridges crossing the M11 (a couple of which have been demolished as part of the Stansted airport works)
and, of course any pre-Warboys road signs that remain (which would mean that the councils would be forced to keep them in good condition).
Chris.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

c2R: <<A couple of the original M1 bridges>>
I thought some of them had been listed. Need to be careful here because you may rule out the prospect of wideningthem when the motorway needs upgrading.
<<as well as some of the arched footbridges crossing the M11 (a couple of which have been demolished as part of the Stansted airport works)>>
You like those? Well, they are different from most other bridges on the motorway.
Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

<< thought some of them had been listed. Need to be careful here because you may rule out the prospect of wideningthem when the motorway needs upgrading.>>
The point of listing them would be to ensure they aren't demolished so yes,it would make widening more costly (I guess a new bridge would need to be constructed alongside, and one carriageway routed through each), but not rule it out altogether....
I guess that's the problem with listing anything on the road network - it makes carrying out road improvements much more difficult.
Chris.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

Listed structures would certainly make on-line inprovements difficult - I believe the making of Brunel's GWR a World Heritage Site has been opposed because it would preclude electrification - and the old listed Bishopsgate Goods Depot is now in the way of the East London Line extension.
I believe the Wentbridge Viaducton the A1 in Yorkshire is listed, which could make an on-line widening difficult - interesting to note that it is in the gap betwen an existing motorway section (Doncaster by pass) and the new Darrington-Hook Moor section.
biffvernon

Post by biffvernon »

Not exactly modern, but most of the old milestones of turnpike times are listed 'buildings'.
The Wentbridge Viaduct was awarded a Certificate of Excellence from the Concrete Society. I posted some pics of it recently at:
www.biffvernon.freeserve.co.uk/wentbridge.htm
Biff