M5 J31

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

robrymond

M5 J31

Post by robrymond »

i have always wondered why at J31 of the M5 as it goes into the A38, why there are loads of signs saying temporay layout . this has been there for a while. will it stay for much loner or what are theplans?
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

I think they vary the layout (A38 three lanes, A30 one; or two each) according toseasonal variations in traffic flow - I'll have the opportunity for a closer look tomorrow.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

The temporary layout at junction 31 of the M5 was introduced in 1999 to cope with the extra traffic heading to Cornwall to see the eclipse. It proved so succesful it is to remain permanently. I believe new signs and improvements are to due later this year.
In recent years the importance of the A30 to Cornwall has increased greatly. When the M5 was first completed in May 1977 the majority of traffic to all points west of Plymouth travelled via the A38 and Tamar Bridge. Now, with the A30 dual carriageway well into Cornwall it has become much the better road than the A38 and has seen a consequent increase in traffic.
Back to the layout approaching jnc 31. I notice travelling around that the principle of being able to leave the main route from both the inside and centre lanes of the motorway has been adopted at a number of other major junctions throughout the country. To name but a few - M6 jnc 8 for the M5, M27 jnc 4 for the M3, M5 jnc 4A for the M42. Whilst I guess it has a negative effect in reducing the 'main' motorway to just two lanesI think the positive effect of reducing last minute 'weaving' probably outweighs the negatives.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

<<I notice travelling around that the principle of being able to leave the main route from both the inside and centre lanes of the motorway has been adopted at a number of other major junctions throughout the country>>
Yeah, it appeared about a year or so ago on the M11 going south at Charlie Brown's, and also on the North Circular going clockwise at the same junction. It's improved the traffic flow a bit (particularly as there weren't three lanes on either road through the junction beforehand anyway), although I saw the police nick a Swedish girl the other month for being in the lefthand lane for most of the junction, and then cutting right across the white hatchings to go right!
Chris.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
robrymond

Post by robrymond »

ah i see now!
BobSykes

Post by BobSykes »

Yes, this is spreading everywhere now, and hooray for that. A bit of joined-up thinking at last from HA. The M62/M621 interchange at Leeds, which I passed today for the first time in ages,looks like it has been recently modified on these lines (the tarmac/signs look fairly new). Here they seem to have done the job properly by widening the road and not pinching the hard shoulder for half a mile and putting up yellow signs sothat everyone thinks its just a temporaryarrangement.
The M5/M6 junction (southbound) was the first example of this that i encountered, about 5 or 6 years ago - and it has remained to this day, still I think, with yellow "temporary" signs.
robrymond

Post by robrymond »

yep it still has those yellow tempory signs!
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

Philip: <<The temporary layout at junction 31 of the M5 was introduced in 1999 to cope with the extra traffic heading to Cornwall to see the eclipse. It proved so succesful it is to remain permanently. I believe new signs and improvements are to due later this year.>>
Thishas appeared (today?) on the HA site - they are widening the last 1km of the southbound M5 to 4 lanes plus hardshoulder - this will presumably facilitate improved flow onto the A30.
Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

Yellow signs do not always signify temporary arrrangements - they are sometimes used to draw particular attention to themselves in unusual situations- a good example is the approach to the Totso on the M25.
They are also on the Ipswich bypass, appraoching the end of the A14/A12 multiplex, to warn A12 traffic to turn off.